Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

It's Coffee Break time! Hot Topic: Who Is Responsible for the Bill?

Welcome to Mom to Mom's Coffee Break Chat!

Durand Ford Jr, was billed $780 for ambulance services that were
too late in responding to a call for his father on New Years.
It was 30 minutes before an ambulance responded, only later to be discovered that the district was low staffed that night because over 50 firefighters called out sick for New Years Eve.

1. Do you think the district should have billed the family for ambulance services when the response time was 30 minutes and the caller died while waiting?
2. Do you think the family should have to pay the bill?
3. Was the district negligent in even allowing 50 firefighters to be off that night?

Share your thoughts with us on this... or anything else is on your mind!!

What are you doing today?
What's on your mind?

Let's talk!

by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:02 AM
Replies (11-20):
headingsouth13
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 12:03 PM
1 mom liked this

hazelnut iced coffee

no the family should not have to pay the bill. the death is of the negligent nature due to the district allowing 50 firefighters to be off knowing that it would leave them understaffed.

Mom2jngnc
by Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 12:05 PM

Quoting Mrs.Kubalabuku:

Something milky, please.

No, the fee should not be waived.  The situation was awful, and the core problems should be addressed.  But can you imagine if nobody had to pay fees because someone died?  We don't KNOW that he would have been saved had the ambulance been there in 5 secs, the story doesn't give enough information.

(I think I'm also failing to see why 50 firefighters calling in sick would impact the ambulance services.  Yes, they are all first responders, and firetrucks do have some medical equipment and people who know CPR, but EMTs and firefighters are two different things.  What took the AMBULANCE so long?  Were ambulances being sent to put out fires?)

I think the fees should stand.  BUT, the city needs to address the absentee issue.  Require doctor's notes, or bring up stories like this that illustrate just how vital their jobs are to the community.  Ask for volunteers for holiday shifts, etc.  

If it is FDNY they run paramedic staffed ambualnces out of stations (other big cities follow suit)..... However, that should have led to mandated OT for the crews that were there..... and they have sleepign quartes, so it would have been stressful, but...... it's not like they have to be awake teh whole time, they can try to sleep.

Where as SFD where I live has paramedics and EMT's but doesn't transport they contract with RMMS for transports.... 

Stephannie, wife to John, Mom to John, Garrett, CJ and Alex
full-time Auntie to Carly-Ann

New York Moms
Join us on The New York Moms Group! - - NY Moms Group Mod

ms.sophsmom
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 12:10 PM
3 moms liked this
In alot of places the firefighters ARE the emts and vice versa. My area is strictky volunteer and several agencies are run by the same small group of ems/firefighter personnel.

The fee should not be waived because he died, but because he was never transported. Also if the patient had a DNR or something they wouldn't have tried anything to revive him. Some details are missing here, definitely.

Quoting Mrs.Kubalabuku:

Something milky, please.

No, the fee should not be waived.  The situation was awful, and the core problems should be addressed.  But can you imagine if nobody had to pay fees because someone died?  We don't KNOW that he would have been saved had the ambulance been there in 5 secs, the story doesn't give enough information.

(I think I'm also failing to see why 50 firefighters calling in sick would impact the ambulance services.  Yes, they are all first responders, and firetrucks do have some medical equipment and people who know CPR, but EMTs and firefighters are two different things.  What took the AMBULANCE so long?  Were ambulances being sent to put out fires?)

I think the fees should stand.  BUT, the city needs to address the absentee issue.  Require doctor's notes, or bring up stories like this that illustrate just how vital their jobs are to the community.  Ask for volunteers for holiday shifts, etc.  

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Cafe MichelleP
by Head Admin on Feb. 12, 2013 at 12:11 PM

Quoting amberstars:

Peppermint Hot Chocolate please and thank you.

I feel it was negligent to give 50 firefighters' time off for New Year's Eve.  There are a lot of people who have to work on New Year's Eve.  If there had been a fire and people died I believe they would have been liable.

Same thing in this case.  They took 30 minutes to get there and didn't have enough responders because they gave 50 people the night off.  I don't feel the bill should have to be paid for their neglience. 

At the same time if you waive the bill for one family then you should waive it for all that night (which again I think would be fair) or otherwise you'd have people complaining about 'special treatment'.

Cafe MichelleP
by Head Admin on Feb. 12, 2013 at 12:14 PM

Here is your Cafe Mocha

Quoting Mom2jngnc:

Quoting Cafe MichelleP:

Welcome to Mom to Mom's Tuesday Coffee Break!

Durand Ford Jr, was billed $780 for ambulance services that were
too late in responding to a call for his father on New Years.
It was 30 minutes before an ambulance responded, only later to be discovered that the district was low staffed that night because over 50 firefighters called out sick for New Years Eve.

1. Do you think the district should have billed the family for ambulance services when the response time was 30 minutes and the caller died while waiting? Yes, it is still an emergency vehicle that went out on the call, with a paid staff, you can run into response times of that in rural areas, you can run into response time like that in areas that are being overwhelemed where the priorty systms has to be used.... Priority ones being ugent, down to a priority 3 being (to be blunt) bull crap. 

2. Do you think the family should have to pay the bill? The bill should be submitted to health insurance, then what is not paid by insurance then be covered by the family. 

3. Was the district negligent in even allowing 50 firefighters to be off that night? What is the policy? Did they all have to show up on their next scheduled day with Dr's notes? If so did they? Not much you can do unless you find facebook pics of them whooping it up with their friends.

Now to be fair; did they call soon enough where the results would have changed? We go many times to calls where we do everything we can, but the end result is still death. Especially when they complain about it getting worse thoughout the day, or having gone on for days. 

If they ambulance was that far out why didn't they drive him? We are really LACKING information. 

$780 is on the low end. 

While you share your thoughts with us be sure to let us know what you
would like us to serve you!! Cafe Mocha

We hope you have fun and enjoy your time with us!!

Cafe MichelleP
by Head Admin on Feb. 12, 2013 at 12:16 PM

Quoting headingsouth13:

hazelnut iced coffee

no the family should not have to pay the bill. the death is of the negligent nature due to the district allowing 50 firefighters to be off knowing that it would leave them understaffed.

la_bella_vita
by Silver Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 12:18 PM

No, no, yes

Chai Latte please

MelanieMans
by Bronze Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 12:24 PM

Irish coffee please.

I dont think any place that deals with emergencies like this should ever be low staffed and I think those fire fighters are very unproffesional for calling off work for something like new years. Emergency calls are made because thats what it is....an emergency. 30 minutes is way to long to wait for an ambulance, so no, I dont think he should have to pay since they were in no hurry to help. It seems like a slap in the face to loose your father and then pay a large amount of money to people who didnt do anything.

sucker4myloves
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 12:25 PM

I'd like a mocha frap, please. I do not think he should be charged. The negligence alone is sickening. I mean, I get that they can't control when people call in, but I sure do think all those assholes that were fake sick for one of the most dangerous holidays around should be replaced. And because their men were so damn bad at their jobs that they'd call in on the worst holiday TO call in, his father is dead. No, I'd not bill him.

MAINSTREAM MOMS Wanna escape the crunch? Join us!
REDNECK MOMMIES Join to commune with your fellow country mamas!

LilySlim Diet days tickers

Mrs.Vallo
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 12:28 PM
1 mom liked this

Irish Cream French Soda please! 

I dont have enough information to talk about it. However I dont think the family should have to pay. 30 mins waiting is just wrong. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN