Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

It's Coffee Break time! Hot Topic: Who Is Responsible for the Bill?

Welcome to Mom to Mom's Coffee Break Chat!

Durand Ford Jr, was billed $780 for ambulance services that were
too late in responding to a call for his father on New Years.
It was 30 minutes before an ambulance responded, only later to be discovered that the district was low staffed that night because over 50 firefighters called out sick for New Years Eve.

1. Do you think the district should have billed the family for ambulance services when the response time was 30 minutes and the caller died while waiting?
2. Do you think the family should have to pay the bill?
3. Was the district negligent in even allowing 50 firefighters to be off that night?

Share your thoughts with us on this... or anything else is on your mind!!

What are you doing today?
What's on your mind?

Let's talk!

by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:02 AM
Replies (51-60):
babie113
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 2:17 PM

hot chocolate plz and i think they were negligent in letting that many off duty .i think its disgusting they billed the family after he died because they responded too slowly .

Nee86
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 2:21 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm a firefighter/ EMT so here's my thoughts.
Yes, they should pay. Is it right that that many firefighters took off, no. But I believe there is more to the story. Most fire trucks are staffed by firefighter/EMTs and they have equipment to deal with a difficulty breathing call until an ambulance arrives.
Cafe MichelleP
by Head Admin on Feb. 12, 2013 at 2:22 PM

Quoting bowlingmom06:

I would like a Rockstar please. Painting my bedroom today and need energy ;)

1. I understand why the family was billed. They have to pay for gas, supplies, and the techs.

2. The family should not have to pay the bill due to the fact that it was the EMS' fault

3. I dont know if the employees are part of a union. If they are its not the district's fault that many people were on a "sick-day". They could however, if they knew that it was going to happen, outsource with an agency.

Knightquester
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 2:23 PM

1. Do you think the district should have billed the family for ambulance services when the response time was 30 minutes and the caller died while waiting? Yes, regardless if they show up on time or not it's still their bill if they called.  I just lost a friend of mine that's like a brother to me, and although he died before the ambulance came his wife still has to pay that bill.  Sad yes, but that is how things work.

2. Do you think the family should have to pay the bill? They should pay the bill to prevent their credit from being tarnished and because they did call.  Then they should dispute the fact they feel the district was negligent in allowing so many firefighters off in one night through court for reimbursement.  More than likely they'll be prompted to do a class action suit for anybody that was effected that night.

3. Was the district negligent in even allowing 50 firefighters to be off that night? I think so, but that's a different matter from paying the bill.  The family can fight the negligent decisions of the district through court and probably win.

Cafe MichelleP
by Head Admin on Feb. 12, 2013 at 2:24 PM

Quoting babie113:

hot chocolate plz and i think they were negligent in letting that many off duty .i think its disgusting they billed the family after he died because they responded too slowly .

babie113
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 2:33 PM
1 mom liked this

yummmmy i may just lick my monitor

Quoting Cafe MichelleP:

Quoting babie113:

Sun_Shine_990
by Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 2:50 PM

Well honestly at first my first thought is yes they should be billed because they called the ambulance service out and they need to be paid for working and such even though the man was died by the time they arrived regardless and yes the family should have to pay the bill, it only seemed right to me at first.

But then I read the artical that was linked in the OP. the artical said that there was some kind of corrdinated sick day out, that was arranged. This tells me that it wasn't just 50 firefighters who caught the flu at once or something like that. and if that is true and if it was planned for something other than people being sick than no the family should not have to pay the bill. The ambulance service needs to do something to waive the bill or part of the bill if the whole thing was more than just 50 firefighters out sick with the flu...

Yes I feel like the district was very negligent in letting 50 firefighters off that night for the reason it sounds like in the article anyway... and either way there should have been back ups to cover the 50 who weren't there that night. I mean really regardless of why they were off "sick" the city, county whatever it is still has people in it that are going to need firefighters and ambulance service that night... it totally seems like imo that it was the fault of the ambulance service either way... But who knows maybe I'm totally crazy, idk anymore...

Hmmm How about a pumpkin pie spice cappuccino please....

Mrsfarr
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 2:58 PM
1 mom liked this
I'm just here for the pictures of drinks...
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
isaiahsmomma86
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 3:31 PM
how about splitting the bill and sending it to any of those firefighters who called in and didn't have Dr excuses? idk, can't really blame the ambulance that responded, they tried to get there in a timely manner, I'm sure. but if you're short staffed, what can ya do?

I need like a triple shot of espresso or something. we're traveling and I haven't had a decent cup of coffee since I left my house Sunday morning lol
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
vinalex0581
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 3:35 PM

I don't drink coffee because I don't like the taste. I don't drink alcohol because I'm breastfeeding.

I'll drink warm milk though.

=)

I'm wondering why would the firefighters even come if there was no fire, it was a medical issue so the ambulance should come.

Am I missing something?

Either way, it wasn't fair for the caller to die because of this. The family shouldn't pay.

I was rushed to the hospital (7 years ago) while pregnant with my first son and they ended up charging me $400 for the ambulance ride.

I can't even remember if my insurance covered any of that. So I don't know if that $400 was a copay.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)