Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

It's Coffee Break time! Hot Topic: Who Is Responsible for the Bill?

Welcome to Mom to Mom's Coffee Break Chat!

Durand Ford Jr, was billed $780 for ambulance services that were
too late in responding to a call for his father on New Years.
It was 30 minutes before an ambulance responded, only later to be discovered that the district was low staffed that night because over 50 firefighters called out sick for New Years Eve.

1. Do you think the district should have billed the family for ambulance services when the response time was 30 minutes and the caller died while waiting?
2. Do you think the family should have to pay the bill?
3. Was the district negligent in even allowing 50 firefighters to be off that night?

Share your thoughts with us on this... or anything else is on your mind!!

What are you doing today?
What's on your mind?

Let's talk!

by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 10:02 AM
Replies (61-70):
aurora.dove
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 3:57 PM

White chocolate Mocha

Well I don't see how firefighters being off has to do with slow response time for ambulance services...they're two different emergency services. I don't think the family should be billed though, maybe for the gas and that's it. The only thing they provided was a ride to the morgue...

MamaCarrieD
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 4:09 PM

Am I too late for the fun? wink

I'll have a plain mocha please! 

He may have died anyway but I think something is suspicious when 50 people were out sick on New Years Eve. To be waived or not I'm not sure though.

tea~Carrie~

piratepixie
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 4:25 PM

i know this isnt common everywhere, but when my FIL passed away 7 years ago the family was not billed for the ambulance serves. we were told that because he had passed away on the way to the hospital that there would be no charge...  he was pretty much already dead by the time the ambulance showed up, there wasnt anything they could really do. 

its horrible that they would still expect the family to pay after a loved on has passed away. i mean i know they still need to be paid for there time, but robbing the dead isnt the way they should be doing it. maybe if they had gotten there then i would see a reason for paying them, but they didnt do there jobs on this one. the family should have to pay for the dispaches mistakes.

littlelamb303
by Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 4:38 PM

Outrageous.  NO, they should not pay.  First of all, it took 30 minutes,that is unacceptable. Secondly, why isn't this taken care of through taxes?  Where I live, we do not pay out of pocket for ambulances, it is included in what we pay in taxes.  What about poor people that could never afford such a bill?  Should they just die because they cannot afford an ambulance?  This is just wrong in so many ways.  My family would be able to afford such a ridiculous fee, but many I know would not be able to.  I feel the same way about health care though.  No one should die because they cannot afford to pay

littlelamb303
by Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 4:43 PM

Quoting illinoismommy83:

You still have to pay for services. People die. It happens. Its not the ambulance's fault.

I'd like a large hot vanilla coffee please.

I think the ambulance absolutely IS to blame.  It took them 30 minutes to arrive .  I am appalled as it is  people actually pay for ambulances.  I guess there is a good reason my taxes where I live are so high.  I pay for that kind of service through taxes.   Some of you on here really need to put yourselves in the families situation.  Would you gladly shell out that kind of money(and accept it) if your family died and they were so late getting there?

Jennyanne322
by Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 4:49 PM
Did the crew render care or did they just show up, pronounce the patient and wait on the coroner to pick up the body.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Jennyanne322
by Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 4:53 PM
1 mom liked this
I live and work EMS in NYC. We charge for an ambulance. We charge the patients insurance and then the patient gets the bill if it doesn't cover or the copayment. Even when I vollie they do the same. An ambulance isn't free. Where you live they probably charge your medical coverage, and then don't charge what's not covered to the patient.

Quoting littlelamb303:

Quoting illinoismommy83:

You still have to pay for services. People die. It happens. Its not the ambulance's fault.

I think the ambulance absolutely IS to blame.  It took them 30 minutes to arrive .  I am appalled as it is  people actually pay for ambulances.  I guess there is a good reason my taxes where I live are so high.  I pay for that kind of service through taxes.   Some of you on here really need to put yourselves in the families situation.  Would you gladly shell out that kind of money(and accept it) if your family died and they were so late getting there?

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
illinoismommy83
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 4:54 PM
1 mom liked this

My Comcast TV service isn't working right now. There is an area wide outage. Should I call them and tell them I simply don't want to pay my bill because of it?

Should I not pay my dentist because my tooth whitening didn't make my teeth as white as I had hoped? 

Can you boss tell you that your work this week wasn't good enough so you simply aren't being paid?

Yes, it sucks that someone died, but that doesn't excuse bills.

Quoting littlelamb303:

Quoting illinoismommy83:

nurbabe82
by Member on Feb. 12, 2013 at 4:56 PM

Carmel Frappe please and thank you :)

I am on the fence with this. But my opinion on 50 employees calling out on a holiday is this: there should be some stricter policies in place. In no way should it be acceptable to have that many employees call out on a holiday. But not sure how 50 fire fighters fits this story since it would have either been EMT's or paramedics responding.

tinkerbellbay
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 5:14 PM

Agreed 

Quoting goddess99:

I think the ambulance service should give the family the money not bill them. I believe the district was neglectful.

Proud mom to Victoria

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)