Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom
At what age did your kids start sleeping on bunkbeds? I ask because 0my 3 yr wants one i also have a 2 yr old which i think can sleep on the bottom one. I know they are to small for them but what age would be best to let them have one ?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 12, 2013 at 4:33 PM
Replies (21-25):
suetoo
by Bronze Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:10 AM
1 mom liked this

Never! Trundles are better. I worked as camp nurse for 3 summers. Each summer a teenager fell from top bunk and needed ER trip. Why take a chance? A twin bed with under the bed storage is great and worth the cost.

Scorpiomom78
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:19 AM

I think DD was shy of 4 and DS was 2 and I they love them. I never had a problem with them other than my DD is a monkey and like to scare the crap out of me by climbing all over them! But I got the kind with big stairs with drawers in them not the ladder type. That way I wouldn't worry about her falling down the stairs.

Proud-mama-05
by Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:31 AM
1 mom liked this
My kids are 7,5,3 and we have a triple bunk. My kids know that beds aren't play things so there's no issue of them messing around playing on it and falling off. My 3yo is on the very bottom and my 5yo on the very top had a bed rail to stop him from falling off during the night
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
hisgirlalways
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 9:32 AM

I had bunkbeds for my girls when they were 4 and 6 and now I hate bunkbeds but thats is just ME! I love Trundle beds and think that they are much safer than a bunkbed bc if you want steady firm bunkbed that is not going to shake everytime your kids climb up and down it your going to paid a good amount of money for it.  Atleast with the Trudle beds you don't have to worry about them getting to big to sleep on the top bunk.

KayDziedzic
by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 10:15 AM

The recommended age is at least 6. This site has some good info, plus a link to the US Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) standards:  http://www.bunkbeds-hq.com/guides/safety/

IMO, if you set specific rules for the top bunk, and enforce them without exception from the beginning, I think the right type of bunk beds can be appropriate around age 2 or 3 for the bottom bunk, 4 or 5 from the top bunk as long as top bunk isn't too high. Consider a staricase instead of a ladder. Also consider a slide, which is a safer way to get down than a ladder for younger kids. Make sure a ladder has flat rungs to step on, instead of narrow, slippery metal bars. Guard rails are a must, and need to be higher for younger kids than those on bunk beds for older kids.

My two oldest started sleeping in bunk beds when they were 3 and 4 (they're now 5 and 6). We needed to combine their bedroom and playroom, to make the former playroom into a nursery when our 3rd child was due, and needed more floor space. DH custom made the bunkbeds to fit toddler mattresses, with storage drawers underneath the bottom bunk. The top of the top bunk' mattress is less than 5 ft from the floor. 

The kids love them and have done well with them. The top bunk is for sleeping only, no exceptions. No horseplay on the ladder or top bunk, no exceptions. Leaning over the guard rails is not allowed. Friends or siblings are not allowed in the top bunk or on the ladder. Company is told that the top bunk is off limits. Once, and only once, the kids' friend from across the street was up there with DS and oDD; I sent their friend home immediately and both kids lost their screen time for a week. It hasn't happened again. DS has fallen from half way up the ladder (less than 3ft from the floor) 2 or 3 times, always while wearing slippers (it's against the rules to wear slippers on the ladder or in the top bunk). No one has gotten hurt.

DS is turning 7 in April and for his birthday, he's getting his own room with a twin size loft bed. yDD(2 this month) will then be moved to the bottom bunk of the toddler bunk beds, with oDD(5) moving to the top bunk. I put the kids' foam chairs and oversized stuffed animals at the end of the bed when I tuck them in each night, just in case a groggy kiddo climbing down the ladder to go to the bathroom at night looses their footing, but that hasn't happened in the 2+ years they've been in the bunk beds.

It also depends on the kids. If you know your child is going to have a hard time following the rules, bunk beds probably aren't a good idea. If your child who would be in the top bunk wets the bed once or twice a month or more, bunk beds are going to be a huge pain in the butt. Some kids are afraid of sleeping in the top bunk because it's too high, and looking down from that height scares them (even though they'll climb around twice as high at the playground).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)