Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Therapist / Social Worker??

Posted by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 8:07 PM
  • 16 Replies

I am going back to school after a 6 year hyatus.  After speaking with the admissions dept at the school, it looks like I will be done by the end of the year.  Are any of you a Therapist or Social Worker??  If so, do you have any career advice?  Thoughts??

by on Feb. 13, 2013 at 8:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
grneyedormom
by Member on Feb. 13, 2013 at 10:57 PM
I'm a social worker. If you want to do therapy, you'll need your Master's. are you completing your Bachelor's? Good luck, I work in the child welfare field.

ETA: In my state, to practice therapy, you need your Master's and to be a LCSW. Even if you want to be a school counselor.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
erikadi
by Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 9:58 AM
1 mom liked this

I have my degree in Psychology and Social Work. I would definitely get your Masters and also get certified and licensed there are more career opportunities that way. If you want to work in adoption I was asked a lot if I had worked at Child Protective Services.

lazydayz
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 9:33 PM

How do I find out my state requirements??  I live in Florida... I have been getting conflicting answers.  I suppose I could call Dept of Bus and professional relations....

Quoting grneyedormom:

I'm a social worker. If you want to do therapy, you'll need your Master's. are you completing your Bachelor's? Good luck, I work in the child welfare field.

ETA: In my state, to practice therapy, you need your Master's and to be a LCSW. Even if you want to be a school counselor.

lazydayz
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 9:36 PM

I am looking to work with children with chronic illnesses.  Do you recommend working for Child Protective Services before persuing my career?  So far I am seeing a lot of addiction counselor opportunities when I do a job search, but the pay is terrible... like $10/hr.  Wow. I am shocked!

Quoting erikadi:

I have my degree in Psychology and Social Work. I would definitely get your Masters and also get certified and licensed there are more career opportunities that way. If you want to work in adoption I was asked a lot if I had worked at Child Protective Services.

grneyedormom
by Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 10:17 PM
Your school, specifically the department you are getting your degrer in, your state licensing board for therapists/counselor's,.

Quoting lazydayz:

How do I find out my state requirements??  I live in Florida... I have been getting conflicting answers.  I suppose I could call Dept of Bus and professional relations....

Quoting grneyedormom:

lazydayz
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 10:32 PM

Ok.  The school told me all I needed was an AS degree to work in the field and a Bachelors if I want to do therapy sessions... a masters if I want to work under a psychiatrist... but I dont know if that is accurate which is why I was reaching out to others in the industry.  I think I will call DBPR and talk to the licensing board for the state. :) Thanks for your response!  Do you find your career rewarding?

Quoting grneyedormom:

Your school, specifically the department you are getting your degrer in, your state licensing board for therapists/counselor's,.

Quoting lazydayz:

Quoting grneyedormom:

grneyedormom
by Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 11:11 PM
Yes, I work as a caseworker in Child Protective Services. It's high stress though. Every star is different. What might be for one state might not work in another state. For example in Oregon, where I am, you can't practice as a therapist without a Master's or being licensed. You can work in CPS as a caseworker with your Bachelor's but not an Associate's.

Quoting lazydayz:

Ok.  The school told me all I needed was an AS degree to work in the field and a Bachelors if I want to do therapy sessions... a masters if I want to work under a psychiatrist... but I dont know if that is accurate which is why I was reaching out to others in the industry.  I think I will call DBPR and talk to the licensing board for the state. :) Thanks for your response!  Do you find your career rewarding?

Quoting grneyedormom:

Quoting lazydayz:

Quoting grneyedormom:

erikadi
by Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 8:41 PM

If you are looking to work with children with chronic illnesses, I would suggest going into nursing specializing in pediatrics or being a hospital socialworker. I would definitely do an internship or practicum in the pediatric ward. For this type of thing I don't think CPS is necessary.

lazydayz
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 11:15 AM

I am not interested in nursing in the least bit.  But I like your idea about being a hospital social worker.  I am not sure how to completely make it work, what I am looking to do is to offer support to children that have been diagnosed with chronic and fatal illnesses as well as provide support to their caretakers.  I know all too well how important this is.  I currently volunteer as caretaker support for families whose children have been diagnosed with gastroparesis (gp).  Each time one of our group members passes away it bring up all kinds of issues that I am not properly trained to field. Also, many of the teens and adults that have GP have fears that they are going to starve to death or pass from organ failure if a cure is not found in time... this has been the fate of several people I have personally befriended over the last 2 years who had GP.  However, I know GP is not the only disease people deal with in this mannor, but it just happens to be the one closest to me (my little girl has it) and I know there is limited help, no medications, no cure and no formal support so it really complicates what a person feels on multiple levels.  So I dont know what is the best vehicle, per say, for me to help people in the way I am looking for.    

Quoting erikadi:

If you are looking to work with children with chronic illnesses, I would suggest going into nursing specializing in pediatrics or being a hospital socialworker. I would definitely do an internship or practicum in the pediatric ward. For this type of thing I don't think CPS is necessary.

erikadi
by Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 6:21 PM
1 mom liked this

I would volunteer, go the hospital socialworker route, look at certifications in the areas you want to work, perhaps get your Master's then you can maybe specialize more with that. Choose this as a topic for your research papers and essays. I don't know where you live, but I know an Assistant Professor in Social Work at Northern Arizona University, she specializes in healthcare services, grief and bereavement. Her email is Mary.Damskey@nau.edu, her phone number is 928-523-6563, this information is on the NAU Sociology and Social Work website.  I hope this helps and I hope I am understanding more of what you want to do.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN