Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Ok Moms.....I need your thoughts!

Posted by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 9:38 PM
  • 23 Replies

My 3 yr old has been fighting a cold for weeks. Constant runny nose and cough, super red cheeks. He was on a 5 day antibiotic that did nothing. He hasn't had a consistant appetite....some days he will eat 3 bowls of cereal for breakfast and somedays I have to force his dinner.

He just isn't his bubbly, fun self. He breaks down really quickly for no reason, really moody.

I'm just not sure what is going on with him and don't know what else to do. Thoughts???

by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 9:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
shadow_lark
by Bronze Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 9:43 PM

why did they put him on an antibiotic for a cold?  thats so pointless.  has he been checked for pneumonia, or an upper respiratory infection?  I had an URI when i was in 5th grade and I coughed for weeks before going to the doctor.

beyond that...idk.  Maybe he has allergies to something.  If its been going on this long without getting worse or better i would lean towards that.  or it could be something like bronchitis.  Most of the time it is viral and works its way out of your system after a couple of weeks but if you dont rest it will take a lot longer.  It makes you feel like absolute crap too.  Have you taken any days to just rest?  Just sit on the couch all day and watch nick jr or something....maybe even try doing that for a couple of days and see if it helps at all.

sassysilvergirl
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 9:46 PM

Well the Dr kind of gave him meds to appease me. I felt like it had been so going on so long and he couldn't really tell me for sure it wouldn't help so we did a 5 day. Seems like he has been coughing for over a month. We were in the Dr's in early January for something else. He has had some days where he hasn't done much. He just seems exhausted. Hasn't been checked for anything else.

misymac
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 12:39 AM

It sounds like he has a recurring cold / sinus problem. Talk to your druggist. I had a sinus infection once that lasted 3 months. Doctor gave 3 different prescribes.. on the last one he told me to take the meds and to add over the counter meds too.. I thought the doctor was trying to over dose me. The druggist said yes I can take prescription drugs and over the counter together.. you can take a 6 hr cold med with a 12 hr cold med.. but can not take two 12hr meds together.. Well I did what they said, got over the sinus infection and didn't OD.. Talk to your druggist.

shadow_lark
by Bronze Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 12:54 AM
Give him a few days on the couch. If he isn't improving by Monday I would take him in. Its probably just a lingering viral bug, but with him being so tired I would be worried.

Quoting sassysilvergirl:

Well the Dr kind of gave him meds to appease me. I felt like it had been so going on so long and he couldn't really tell me for sure it wouldn't help so we did a 5 day. Seems like he has been coughing for over a month. We were in the Dr's in early January for something else. He has had some days where he hasn't done much. He just seems exhausted. Hasn't been checked for anything else.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
delanna6two
by Platinum Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 9:06 AM

I would say check with your drs.

sassysilvergirl
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 9:11 AM

Today he started complaining about his head hurting. Its weird because he will be fine mood-wise and then all of a sudden in tears about something. I feel so bad that I can't fix it......

SlapItHigh
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 9:45 AM

Take him back to the dr if you are worried. Have you looked into sambuccus?

sassysilvergirl
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 10:02 AM

Never heard of it but now I am off to google!

Quoting SlapItHigh:

Take him back to the dr if you are worried. Have you looked into sambuccus?

goddess99
by Michelle on Feb. 15, 2013 at 10:27 AM

Colds don't need antibiotics and I wouldn't force food. I would put a humidifier in his room, give him plenty of fluids and let him rest.

Shaybay218
by Shayla on Feb. 15, 2013 at 11:06 AM

Agreed!

Quoting goddess99:

Colds don't need antibiotics and I wouldn't force food. I would put a humidifier in his room, give him plenty of fluids and let him rest.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)