Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Using washcloths instead of wipes

Posted by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 10:15 PM
  • 20 Replies
Ok so I have a question for some of you moms on here. Ok so I used wipes with my daughter when she was a baby and it got expensive so my hubby and I decided to not do wipes and use washcloths with my son. Well because I don't use wipes my sons private area smells so bad. Is there anything I could do to stop that smell besides baby powder? Is it safe to use baby soap on the cloth or will it leave a rash? Any suggestions?
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 10:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
veganistic
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 10:19 PM
Have you googled home made wipes? Lots of cloth diapering moms make their own and use washcloths. Definitely need to use some kind of soap or something if it's smelly down there though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ZakkarysMom
by Gold Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 10:20 PM
I think it would be ok to use a fragrance free baby soap. Just rinse the area well and let dry completely before you put the diaper back on.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
KRIZZ25
happy fall y'all...
Yesterday at 12:53 PM
by Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 10:22 PM
1 mom liked this
do u use soap?? mabie get some soap that smells good..or good smelling power..air him out after wiping.or squirt some perfume in his diaper.lol.
or just tell hum no we are getting wipes..and get over it .
ChristyRose
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 10:41 PM

Use a bit of good quality toilet paper with a squirt of lotion on it.  I always used that for cleaning on my babies.  It was cheaper than wipes and easier than washing washcloths.

Xander2212
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 2:21 AM
I don't use soap because my kids have eczema and I would think it would give him a rash down there but I can try, i have johnsons baby soap. I heard baby oil will work but not sure. And yes washing the towels gets kinda nasty and a hassle but it is cheaper but also have to think about how wipes clean very good and smell good. And they probably feel better on that area than cloths. But I will google it and see what I get. Thank you all who replied so far, I didn't know what to say or do so I figured if anyone could help it would be on here.
LisaN95747
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 3:04 AM
1 mom liked this

When I delivered my last child @ Kaiser (09/21/12) the NICU Nurses provided (and Pampers Diapers) cotton cloths (looks of a washcloth) to use as wipes. The Nurses explained to wet the cloth with warm water and J&J's Head to Toe Wash.

I was told  that Kaiser uses this route as opposed to wipes due to the sensitivity of the infants skin. We still use this method as opposed to the wipes as well, due to his eczema.

Hope this helps!

Shaybay218
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 7:35 AM

Sit him in warm water if you dont want to use soap and let them warm wayer clean him up...it will only get worse if you dont do something

Cmbui
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 7:43 AM
I make my own wipes. I use the California baby diaper area wash mixed with water and coconut oil. My daughter has never had a rash. We use it on washcloths as well.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Janet
by Ruby Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 12:23 PM

Quoting veganistic:

Have you googled home made wipes? Lots of cloth diapering moms make their own and use washcloths. Definitely need to use some kind of soap or something if it's smelly down there though.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MoeksieNature
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 4:31 PM
I cloth diaper and use washcloths to wipe. I mix baby oil with a couple of squirts baby wash in water. Then fold the washcloths and place it in the mixture. Only mix enough for about 2 days worth. GL, hope it helps... I assume you've only used water on your washcloths?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)