Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Do You Think This Was Racially Motivated?

Posted by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 8:28 AM
  • 14 Replies

Patriotic Students Accused of Racism for Chanting 'U.S.A.!'

Posted by Jenny Erikson

It’s now racist to be patriotic? What the ... ? Four California high school students were recently reprimanded for wearing American flag bandanas and chanting “U.S.A.! U.S.A.!” at a school basketball game. They were reportedly suspended, and while the punishment was rescinded, school officials said, “The incident is far from over.”

Camarillo High School principal Glenn Lipman worried that the chanting might have racist undertones due to the southern California school’s large Hispanic population. Oxnard Union School District superintendent Gabe Soumakian told Fox News, “We need to pursue this further” and “work with teachers and students and the community about the concept of cultural proficiency.”

How about this for cultural proficiency: It’s the freaking United States of America! Teach the students, especially those that may come from immigrant backgrounds, that this country rocks, and they should take some pride in it. Kids participating in school sport and taking pride in their country are not the teenagers we need to worry about.

This is not only political correctness gone too far -- it cheapens and degrades the term racism. Racism is treating people differently because of their race -- making black children go to separate schools and sit at the back of the bus. It means that you think you’re better than other people because your race is better than their race. It labels people by their skin color instead of valuing them for the heart, mind, and soul underneath their physical appearance.

If anything, these boys should be commended for attempting to bring the students together in unity, celebrating one thing that binds them -- they are living in the land of the free and the home of the brave. These administrators should be ashamed at their attempt to widen any racial gaps by attributing racism to teens that are proud to be an American. Not white, not black, not Mexican, Asian, Filipino, or any other of the many races that make up our country, but American.

The students say the claims of racial motivation are without merit. “We’ve done it always,” one student said. “It’s something we do. It’s the same group of friends. We’re all very patriotic.”

Their friends agree. The next morning, more than 100 of their peers gathered around the school’s flagpole (presumably still flying Old Glory) to protest in patriotic clothing.

Good job, kids.

Do you think racism was involved here?

by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 8:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
meg90
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 9:09 AM
No racism at all. That school is ridiculous! U.S.A?? when did that become a problem to say? Wow is all I have
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
goddess99
by Michelle on Feb. 16, 2013 at 12:18 PM

I don't, I'm sure the chant was more annoying than racist.

Janet
by Ruby Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 12:30 PM
Not if this is something they always do.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Pam_8787
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 12:51 PM
I can definitely see both sides. I think racism also has to do with how the other people take it. If you are
Doing something to Hirt someone and they don't find it hurtful then...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MichelleMc
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 7:06 PM

I think it is ridiculous that it could even be thought to be racist! My goodness. We are American's & it is sad that you can't be proud of it. People are so freaking over sensitive & you shouldn't have to constantly worry that someone could take everything "wrong". People can take saying Hello wrong anymore. It is getting old. 

wifeynmommie80
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 7:15 PM

Wow this is getting more and more crazy. People are so stupid, just like the ones that protested the pledge being said in schools geez get a life.

courtneywillis
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 8:32 PM

I don't think this was racially motivated. Just rowdy teenagers.

momamanda
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 8:46 PM

ummm...no! we live in the USA..right? If we were in mexico and they were yellling "mexico, mexico" I wouldn't be offended. This just sounds like a stupid waste of time.. seriously!

KaysMom06
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 8:47 PM

Really? WTFudge.

nhmom2013
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 11:19 PM
This is ridiculous , political games at its worst and cheapens what racism. Taking pride in your country is not racist. All countries teach it!!

Is it racist to chant USA at the Olympics because we might offend one of the other countries. Holy shit people. We are in the US and they should be proud of their country. Many immigrants that come here take pride in the American dream, what America can offer their families by coming here and are still proud of their country of orgin.

This is over reaching and ridiculous.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN