Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

clingy toddlers

Posted by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 6:50 PM
  • 6 Replies
Do toddlers go through a clingy phase? My 2 yr old sometimes wallows me. Like he is soon bored. But has more toys than I know what to do with! Is it something I could be doing better? I do interact with him. Maybe I could a little more..maybe? :!/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 6:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
goddess99
by Michelle on Feb. 16, 2013 at 6:55 PM

My dd was clingy but it was just us so I didn't really see it as clingy. She's 10 and still hangs out with me, we're just close.

meg90
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 7:11 PM
1 mom liked this
That could very well be the case with my son. Its just me, my son, and his father my husband. We are basically all he knows. And I'm def around my little one 24/7. I love being a mommy. I might worry/obsess to much lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaMoopsie
by Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 9:24 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes, toddlers go through clingy phases. Not just once but through out all their lives they will have clingy phases. I have a 10 year old who is still clingy sometimes.

Encourage him to play with his toys and play with him for a bit, but then say "Okay, Mommy is going to go do some housework," and leave him to it. Sometimes he'll follow, so try to let him help out with whatever you're doing. My girls love to help me put laundry away or do the prep work for cooking dinner. They'll get different things out of the pantry for me or the pot or frying pan or whatever I need.

On a side note, too many toys can often be overwhelming for children. I figured this out the hard way. I have a 1, 2, and 3 year old (all girls) so naturally we had a TON of toys. Well, I read an article about how too many toys can be overstimulating for a child and cause them to not want to play with the toys at all. So just before Christmas we went through all the toys and packed up three large moving boxes full of toys and donated them to Good Will. They still got a lot more for Christmas but not so much that they won't play with their toys or in their room. So, for us, minimizing the toys actually got them to play with the toys they do have more. Just some food for thought.

meg90
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 11:20 PM
That is a very good point. He may have to many toys. To over whelming for him maybe. He could very well b bored with them. I might try only putting a few out in the living room. Since that is his main place. He rarely wants to play in his room.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
eoewan
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 10:19 AM
1 mom liked this

All little ones go through clingy stages. It is nothing to worry over.

I agree with a PP regarding toys. Alternate his toys every 2 months. Little ones tend to forget what toys they have. Bring out 10 toys only and then in 2 months put those away and bring out 10 others. Doing this will keep the toys new.

splatz
by Sarah on Feb. 17, 2013 at 10:19 AM
Both of my kids went through a clingy stage numerous times as toddlers.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)