Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Do you believe animals go to heaven?

Posted by   + Show Post
I once killed a spider and told my daughter that 'he was going to spider heaven'. That made me thinking. Do you believe animals have a special heaven, do u think they come to human heaven or dont u believe in heaven at all?
Ps. Do you say to your kids that bugs u kill go to heaven just to comfort them?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 2:41 PM
Replies (31-40):
SlapItHigh
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:43 PM

I'm not sure what you mean.  They've never asked for any kind of explanation.  Whether or not bugs are in heaven, does not present any kind of ethical dilemma for whether we are to kill them or not -- IMO.

Quoting jenna30:

How do you explain that to your kids?

Quoting SlapItHigh:

Yes.

Quoting jenna30:

Do you kill spiders and bugs?

Quoting SlapItHigh:

I'm not sure :)

Mama2JoshKatie
by Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:44 PM

Mammals, birds, reptiles, fish etc. I know that scientifically speaking insects are considered animals, I just personally don't acknowledge them as such.

Quoting jenna30:

So, what is an animal to you?

Quoting Mama2JoshKatie:

Nah I don't consider them animals. They are kinda cute though.

Quoting jenna30:

Is a lady bug an animal? ;)

Quoting Mama2JoshKatie:

Not as far as I'm concerned! :)

Quoting jenna30:

But arent bugs animals too ;)?

Quoting Mama2JoshKatie:

My kids don't need comforting when we kill a bug, and I don't believe bugs go to heaven. lol

As far as pets go I don't know. I am a Christian so of course I believe in heaven and I think that there are animals of all kind in heaven (animals, not bugs! lol). But whether or not our pets who die go to heaven, I sure hope so but I don't know for sure.

SlapItHigh
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:46 PM

If it helps, here is an explanation from the official stance of my Church, the pillar and foundation of truth - http://forums.catholic.com/showthread.php?t=14030

rebecca.n
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:46 PM

I unfortunately can't believe that animals go to heaven...because they don't have souls. Its hard for me to wrap my head around it...and it makes me sad that they won't go...but its just the way it is.

jenna30
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:51 PM

My kids sometimes feel sad when I use the fly swatter, saying the fly is there friend:). Do you have a fly swatter, and do u use it in front of your kids?

Quoting SlapItHigh:

I'm not sure what you mean.  They've never asked for any kind of explanation.  Whether or not bugs are in heaven, does not present any kind of ethical dilemma for whether we are to kill them or not -- IMO.

Quoting jenna30:

Quoting SlapItHigh:

Yes.

Quoting jenna30:

Quoting SlapItHigh:

SlapItHigh
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 1:57 PM

Yes, I use a fly swatter in front of my kids.  They have never been concerned and instead love to use the fly swatter themselves so I usually give them the chance to do it.  If they were concerned, I would not dismiss their concerns but explain my church's position that we don't know whether they are glorified in heaven but that they do not have spiritual souls.  If he or she was still upset then I would try to swat the fly out of the door instead of killing it, to spare his or her feelings if this could be reasonably done.  It's hard for kids to understand some of these concepts but understanding will come with age.

Quoting jenna30:

My kids sometimes feel sad when I use the fly swatter, saying the fly is there friend:). Do you have a fly swatter, and do u use it in front of your kids?

Quoting SlapItHigh:

Quoting jenna30:

Quoting SlapItHigh:

Yes.

Quoting jenna30:

Quoting SlapItHigh:

SlapItHigh
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 2:39 PM

Every once in a while.  I remember when a praying mantis got in the house and we made sure to get him out alive.  Spiders and mosquitoes always get killed.  I'm too afraid of being bit to try to get them out alive.  It's hard enough for me to even kill them, I'm so freaked out by them!  Ticks always get killed for fear of disease.  We don't get flies often but I do tend to swat them out the door instead of killing since I usually catch them right when they come in through the garage.  If I'm not near a door, I will kill them instead since it would likely be too hard to get them to a door or open window without a screen.  Our main issue is mosquitoes, not a lot of other bugs in the house.  

Quoting kristen32:

I try to catch and release as much as possible, for example spiders, to teach the kids respect for life. Do you never let the bugs live and try to get them out alive?

jenna30
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 2:46 PM

I try to kill the poisonous spiders, but let the normal house spiders live. I dont like the stains they make on the wall...

Quoting SlapItHigh:

Every once in a while.  I remember when a praying mantis got in the house and we made sure to get him out alive.  Spiders and mosquitoes always get killed.  I'm too afraid of being bit to try to get them out alive.  It's hard enough for me to even kill them, I'm so freaked out by them!  Ticks always get killed for fear of disease.  We don't get flies often but I do tend to swat them out the door instead of killing since I usually catch them right when they come in through the garage.  If I'm not near a door, I will kill them instead since it would likely be too hard to get them to a door or open window without a screen.  Our main issue is mosquitoes, not a lot of other bugs in the house.  

Quoting kristen32:

I try to catch and release as much as possible, for example spiders, to teach the kids respect for life. Do you never let the bugs live and try to get them out alive?

SlapItHigh
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 3:04 PM

Ew, those wall stains are terrible!  I get them with mosquitoes....thank goodness for Magic Erasers!  For spiders, I rarely have time to get a good look and evaluate whether they are poisonous or not.  I don't know if I've ever splatted one against a wall though.  I usually squeeze it in a tissue or paper towel, whatever I can grap quickly.  

IMO, there is no ethical or moral concerns with killing bugs in my home.  I could see a concern if one was intentionally seeking out bugs especially out in nature and killing them with a negative intent, maybe then...even then I don't know.  It would seem unusually cruel if it was of malicious intent.  For sport, as long as it's not harmful to nature (no shortage of numbers) then it wouldn't bother me.

But if someone has their own ethical or moral concerns, then they can follow their conscience. 

Quoting jenna30:

I try to kill the poisonous spiders, but let the normal house spiders live. I dont like the stains they make on the wall...

Quoting SlapItHigh:

Quoting kristen32:

jenna30
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 3:09 PM

Eeww, are u brave enough to squish them in a paper!? Dont you hate that crunch? Do you flush them afterwards?

Quoting SlapItHigh:

Ew, those wall stains are terrible!  I get them with mosquitoes....thank goodness for Magic Erasers!  For spiders, I rarely have time to get a good look and evaluate whether they are poisonous or not.  I don't know if I've ever splatted one against a wall though.  I usually squeeze it in a tissue or paper towel, whatever I can grap quickly.  

IMO, there is no ethical or moral concerns with killing bugs in my home.  I could see a concern if one was intentionally seeking out bugs especially out in nature and killing them with a negative intent, maybe then...even then I don't know.  It would seem unusually cruel if it was of malicious intent.  For sport, as long as it's not harmful to nature (no shortage of numbers) then it wouldn't bother me.

But if someone has their own ethical or moral concerns, then they can follow their conscience. 

Quoting jenna30:

Quoting SlapItHigh:

Quoting kristen32:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)