Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

February 18, 2013 is President's Day

Posted by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 8:47 PM
  • 3 Replies
February 18, 2013 is

President's Day

Today is President’s Day! Did you know that this federal holiday is actually called Washington’s Birthday? Through the 1960s, Americans celebrated both Washington’s Birthday and Lincoln’s Birthday in the month of February. Then, in 1968, Congress passed the Uniform Holidays Bill, which moved the observance of Washington’s Birthday from February 22 to the third Monday in February. The original plan was to combine it with Lincoln’s Birthday and rename it President’s Day, but that part of the bill never passed.

No matter what you call it, today is the perfect opportunity to celebrate the American Presidents and pay tribute to the contributions they have made to this country. The official roles of the President of the United States include: Chief of State, Chief Executive, Chief Diplomat, Chief Administrator, Commander in Chief, Chief Legislator, and Head of the Party.

To celebrate today’s federal holiday, take a moment to learn something new about one of our presidents. Happy President's Day!

by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 8:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
squeekers
by Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 8:54 PM

having grown up in a suburb of Cleveland, Ohio I have always been partial to Grover Cleveland:

Stephen Grover Cleveland was born on March 18, 1837, in Caldwell, New Jersey to Richard Falley Cleveland and Ann Neal Cleveland. Cleveland's father was a Presbyterian minister, originally from Connecticut. His mother was from Baltimore, the daughter of a bookseller. On his father's side, Cleveland was descended from English ancestors, the first Cleveland having emigrated to Massachusetts from northeastern England in 1635. On his mother's side, Cleveland was descended from Anglo-Irish Protestants and German Quakers from Philadelphia. He was distantly related to General Moses Cleaveland after whom the city of Cleveland, Ohio, was named.

goddess99
by Michelle on Feb. 17, 2013 at 9:19 PM

No school tomorrow.

MistressMinerva
by Jennifer on Feb. 18, 2013 at 2:12 PM

I was born in Painesville, Ohio. I have a sister that lives in Mentor and I have lots of cousins that live in the Cleveland area.

Quoting squeekers:

having grown up in a suburb of Cleveland, Ohio I have always been partial to Grover Cleveland:

Stephen Grover Cleveland was born on March 18, 1837, in Caldwell, New Jersey to Richard Falley Cleveland and Ann Neal Cleveland. Cleveland's father was a Presbyterian minister, originally from Connecticut. His mother was from Baltimore, the daughter of a bookseller. On his father's side, Cleveland was descended from English ancestors, the first Cleveland having emigrated to Massachusetts from northeastern England in 1635. On his mother's side, Cleveland was descended from Anglo-Irish Protestants and German Quakers from Philadelphia. He was distantly related to General Moses Cleaveland after whom the city of Cleveland, Ohio, was named.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)