Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

I need help, my 9 yr old daughter is writing suicide letters....

Posted by   + Show Post

Hi my name is Heather, I have 4 beautiful children, 2 of them are step daughters, we all seem to have a great relationship.  I am going thru a divorce and my kids dad gave up guardianship of my daughter to his mom without notifying me because i was going thru a very unstable period.  I have been in full contact with my daughter for a year and things have been really good between us.  But recently, she has written two letters stating she wants to kill herself.  The first one, she said it was because of her teacher (she has a very strict teacher that picks on a few select students and this issue is being addressed by the schoolboard),  but said she had no intentions of following thru.  Then I found out today that she wrote another letter, and this time she has planned something, this time it is the teacher and other things.  I dont know what to do for her,  she doesnt live with me and so I have no say over what happens with her medically, but she does go to therapy, and was just hospitalized in the psychiatric dept. for the second note.  Her grandmother is very manipulative, and admits she alienated me from her for a few years because she thought it was in my daughters best interest.  Im going to see my daughter this week, and i told her that we needed to talk about these letters, but she said her grandmother doesnt want me to talk to her about any of this.  My daughter needs me, and she needs to know I love her no matter what.  But if something were to happen to her, I dont know what Id do.  It is so hard for me to be stuck in this situation.  I have encountered one set back after another trying to get back on my feet so I can get her back, but in the mean time, what do I do to try and keep her in a positive light??? I'm so lost, I never thought I would have to deal with this.  How does a 9 year old think of suicide as an answer to their problems?  I dont have a good support system as my family does not live in the state, so I feel alone.  Any one, please, I need to have someone to talk to that can help me.

by on Feb. 18, 2013 at 4:43 PM
Replies (31-40):
chattycassie
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 5:52 PM
1 mom liked this

The best thing for you to do is make sure you are okay. It seems you are working on becoming stable yourself it can be a hard road. I wish you the best of luck in your fight to save your daughter. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

splatz
by Sarah on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:12 AM
1 mom liked this
Oh gosh. I have no idea hun. I wish you the best of luck. I hope she is able to get some help and this is able to be resolved.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
splatz
by Sarah on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:14 AM
1 mom liked this
Is there any way you could get a guardian ad litem involved? Or some sort of neutral party involved to help you guys sort through this as a united front?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Molly2u
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:37 AM
1 mom liked this

I am sorry what you are going through. Please remember your daughters grandmother loves your daughter as well and would not want any harm to come to her than you would. Try to befriend your daughters grandmother. It will serve you both good. Please stay positive about the grandmother love for your daughter. Maybe this is a cry for help or the school over reacting. Any time such things are written sends red flags and alarm bells ringing. Please let her therapist treat her and do stay in touch. If she is not ready to talk about it, please don't remind her.
Good wishes and hugs. 

erikadi
by Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 11:20 AM

I just hope the therapy will work. I know she is pretty young for medication. I hope her grandmother knows how serious this is.

delanna6two
by Platinum Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:25 PM

Hugs...hope you get some help for her...

proudmumof5
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 1:43 PM

Just met with my daughter and found out some info that is going to help, ALOT!  Things are ok as of right now! Thank you all!

mommy_2_be_2010
by Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 1:53 PM
Go to the courts file to get your daughter back she can tell them she wants to live with you and then go from there
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
proudmumof5
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 7:04 AM

Im in the process, her writing these letters was a hault to some things, she will tell the courts, she has told everyone already its just a matter of time, patience is my best friend.simple smile

Quoting mommy_2_be_2010:

Go to the courts file to get your daughter back she can tell them she wants to live with you and then go from there

mommy_2_be_2010
by Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 7:37 AM
I don't like grandma from the way you talk i wanna punch her in the face

Quoting proudmumof5:

Im in the process, her writing these letters was a hault to some things, she will tell the courts, she has told everyone already its just a matter of time, patience is my best friend.simple smile

Quoting mommy_2_be_2010:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)