Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

It's Coffee Break time! Hot Topic: Are 'Cougars' the New Norm?

Welcome to Mom To Mom's Tuesday Coffee Break!

Actress Jamie-Lynn Sigler who is 31 recently announced her engagement to a 23 year old baseball player. Not only in celebrity but as a society, we are seeing more relationships where women are several years older than their significant others.

1. Are you older than your spouse/boyfriend/fiance? If so, by how many years?
  2. Do you think older women in relationships with younger men is the new norm?
  3. When you see an obvious age difference in couples, do you wonder what they possibly have in common?
  4. Do you think there is still the double standard of it being acceptable for men to be older than women in a relationship, but still looked upon as an oddity if the woman is older?

While you share your thoughts with us be sure to let us know what you would like us to serve you!

And be sure to check out these other posts while you wait:

by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:08 AM
Replies (11-20):
Cafe MichelleP
by Head Admin on Feb. 19, 2013 at 10:12 AM

Quoting mrsjksimmons:

1. No, my husband is older than me by 5 years.
  2. I think it has always happened and the media is making a big hoopla about it.
  3. No. My grandfather was 8 years older than my grandma. I see lots of people where one is older than the other.
  4. No, at least to me it's not. I feel that age doesn't really matter. It's maturity level. My husband's cousin, who is 29, married a man who is going to be 40 this year. But his maturity level is like he's still 25.

Oh and I'd like a mocha caramel cappachino.

SlapItHigh
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 10:34 AM
1. No
2. No
3. I never notice
4. Yes
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
DanaG70
by Silver Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 10:36 AM

I'll take coffee with sugar and cream please!

My dad is 9 years younger than my mom, they have been married 38 years and still very happy. I don't think it is a new "norm", I just don't think you hear of it a lot.

I see nothing wrong with it, I just prefer men who are older than me. My current husband is 9 years older than me. We been happy together now for going on 13 years. I don't think it's age that matters, it's how well the two get along.

MelanieMans
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 10:38 AM

I think people can have alot in common even if they have big age gaps. I wouldnt date younger guys because I like older men, but everyone has different taste in guys. I just hope most cougars are in happy relationships and are not like the ones I see on Maury where the guy is just using the woman for money. I would like a raspberry smoothie please :)

Cafe MichelleP
by Head Admin on Feb. 19, 2013 at 10:48 AM

Quoting DanaG70:

I'll take coffee with sugar and cream please!

My dad is 9 years younger than my mom, they have been married 38 years and still very happy. I don't think it is a new "norm", I just don't think you hear of it a lot.

I see nothing wrong with it, I just prefer men who are older than me. My current husband is 9 years older than me. We been happy together now for going on 13 years. I don't think it's age that matters, it's how well the two get along.

Cafe MichelleP
by Head Admin on Feb. 19, 2013 at 10:51 AM

Raspberry smoothie coming right up!

Quoting MelanieMans:

I think people can have alot in common even if they have big age gaps. I wouldnt date younger guys because I like older men, but everyone has different taste in guys. I just hope most cougars are in happy relationships and are not like the ones I see on Maury where the guy is just using the woman for money. I would like a raspberry smoothie please :)

Mrs.Kubalabuku
by Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 10:54 AM

1. Are you older than your spouse/boyfriend/fiance?  No.   If so, by how many years?  Younger by 9 months. 
  2. Do you think older women in relationships with younger men is the new norm?  Not neccessarily the new norm, but more acceptable.
  3. When you see an obvious age difference in couples, do you wonder what they possibly have in common?  No, I don't give it a second thought.  With technology, musicians that span generations, and more global knowledge I find a lot of younger people DO have connections to the same kinds of things older folk might enjoy and vice versa.  All this access to information, topics, and activities just opens up those doors.
  4. Do you think there is still the double standard of it being acceptable for men to be older than women in a relationship, but still looked upon as an oddity if the woman is older?  Yes.  Most of the time when I hear guys talking about cougars they look at it more as a sexual conquest than love.  You know, how older women are better in bed and have fewer inhibitions?  I don't think society looks at older men with younger women as "acceptable" either, though.  They are perverts or cradle robbers, and the women are gold diggers or have "daddy issues" according to most!  I find it interesting, though, that no matter the scenario, the woman is more harshly judged.  The young man with an older woman is congratulated on his conquest, but she is shamed for taking a "boy."  The older man with a younger woman might be shamed for "robbing the cradle" but he's also getting praised that he still has it, whereas the girl is told she is a gold digger or accused of having Daddy Issues.  Seems like the woman can't win!

I could totally use a sandwich and a fruity drink.

steelcage
by Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 10:55 AM

I don't prefer younger men...although DH is 8 months younger than me. I dont see myself dating a 24 year old at 40. Something in me has just always loved older men.

I don't judge those who do date younger men, whatever floats their boat!

Cafe MichelleP
by Head Admin on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:07 AM

Here you go. Turkey sandwich and a very berry smoothie!

Quoting Mrs.Kubalabuku:

1. Are you older than your spouse/boyfriend/fiance?  No.   If so, by how many years?  Younger by 9 months. 
  2. Do you think older women in relationships with younger men is the new norm?  Not neccessarily the new norm, but more acceptable.
  3. When you see an obvious age difference in couples, do you wonder what they possibly have in common?  No, I don't give it a second thought.  With technology, musicians that span generations, and more global knowledge I find a lot of younger people DO have connections to the same kinds of things older folk might enjoy and vice versa.  All this access to information, topics, and activities just opens up those doors.
  4. Do you think there is still the double standard of it being acceptable for men to be older than women in a relationship, but still looked upon as an oddity if the woman is older?  Yes.  Most of the time when I hear guys talking about cougars they look at it more as a sexual conquest than love.  You know, how older women are better in bed and have fewer inhibitions?  I don't think society looks at older men with younger women as "acceptable" either, though.  They are perverts or cradle robbers, and the women are gold diggers or have "daddy issues" according to most!  I find it interesting, though, that no matter the scenario, the woman is more harshly judged.  The young man with an older woman is congratulated on his conquest, but she is shamed for taking a "boy."  The older man with a younger woman might be shamed for "robbing the cradle" but he's also getting praised that he still has it, whereas the girl is told she is a gold digger or accused of having Daddy Issues.  Seems like the woman can't win!

I could totally use a sandwich and a fruity drink.

ejsmom4604
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:25 AM

Quoting Cafe MichelleP:

1. Are you older than your spouse/boyfriend/fiance? If so, by how many years? I am by 8 1/2 years. I used to say nothing more than 5 years younger, then I met my hubby and that all flew out the window lol. 
  2. Do you think older women in relationships with younger men is the new norm? I think that it has been going on a lot longer, it's just that women don't care who knows anymore. 
  3. When you see an obvious age difference in couples, do you wonder what they possibly have in common? Nope, there had to be something, whether it be interests, a mutual agreement, something that pulled them together. As long as they treat each other well, it's none of my dang business. 
  4. Do you think there is still the double standard of it being acceptable for men to be older than women in a relationship, but still looked upon as an oddity if the woman is older? In some places, yes. But in all honesty, I don't see it much, at least not anymore. In fact, my hubby's family all thought I was his age when they first met me. They were shocked that the first birthday I had spent with them, they found out I was 34 lol. I took that as a major compliment. :) 

A hot chocolate with whipped cream please. :)

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)