Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

It's Coffee Break time! Hot Topic: Are 'Cougars' the New Norm?

Welcome to Mom To Mom's Tuesday Coffee Break!

Actress Jamie-Lynn Sigler who is 31 recently announced her engagement to a 23 year old baseball player. Not only in celebrity but as a society, we are seeing more relationships where women are several years older than their significant others.

1. Are you older than your spouse/boyfriend/fiance? If so, by how many years?
  2. Do you think older women in relationships with younger men is the new norm?
  3. When you see an obvious age difference in couples, do you wonder what they possibly have in common?
  4. Do you think there is still the double standard of it being acceptable for men to be older than women in a relationship, but still looked upon as an oddity if the woman is older?

While you share your thoughts with us be sure to let us know what you would like us to serve you!

And be sure to check out these other posts while you wait:

by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:08 AM
Replies (21-30):
mibebe1982
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:37 AM

Tea for me!

I have son's and I would be very upset if they dated a women that was 5+ years older then them. Same goes for my 2 girls. My husband is 1 year older then me. My mom was a cougar though...she dated my father when he was 19 & she was 36!! YIKES!! Her 2nd husband was 12 years younger then her...I think that's not ideal

Cafe MichelleP
by Head Admin on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:42 AM

Quoting ejsmom4604:

Quoting Cafe MichelleP:

1. Are you older than your spouse/boyfriend/fiance? If so, by how many years? I am by 8 1/2 years. I used to say nothing more than 5 years younger, then I met my hubby and that all flew out the window lol. 
  2. Do you think older women in relationships with younger men is the new norm? I think that it has been going on a lot longer, it's just that women don't care who knows anymore. 
  3. When you see an obvious age difference in couples, do you wonder what they possibly have in common? Nope, there had to be something, whether it be interests, a mutual agreement, something that pulled them together. As long as they treat each other well, it's none of my dang business. 
  4. Do you think there is still the double standard of it being acceptable for men to be older than women in a relationship, but still looked upon as an oddity if the woman is older? In some places, yes. But in all honesty, I don't see it much, at least not anymore. In fact, my hubby's family all thought I was his age when they first met me. They were shocked that the first birthday I had spent with them, they found out I was 34 lol. I took that as a major compliment. :) 

A hot chocolate with whipped cream please. :)

Cafe MichelleP
by Head Admin on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:44 AM

or if you prefer

Quoting mibebe1982:

Tea for me!

I have son's and I would be very upset if they dated a women that was 5+ years older then them. Same goes for my 2 girls. My husband is 1 year older then me. My mom was a cougar though...she dated my father when he was 19 & she was 36!! YIKES!! Her 2nd husband was 12 years younger then her...I think that's not ideal

Jujubee12
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:44 AM

My mom is a cougar. She dated a guy 15 years younger than her. But you know what? shes really good looking and all of her children are older and she deserves to have a little fun. Shes not hurting anyone and its not like the guy is underaged he was almost 30. I dont see the problem. I think she would be weird with an older man because she is so young at heart.

I dont judge people with age differences unless there is something obviously wrong. My husband and I have a 5 year difference and started dating when that difference was a big deal. We have been happily together for almost 8 years.

and hell yes there is a big fat double standard.

workoutmom2b1g
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:46 AM

No rock on!!

BTW, IMO Jamie is not a cougar. Cougar to me is 50 yr old with a 20 yr old.

lazydayz
by Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:00 PM

My husband is 28 days younger than me, does that count? lol

flowerfunleah
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:08 PM

I'm older than dh by 2 years 2 weeks!

I find it a little weird when I see couples where the woman is like 70 and the man is in his 20's.  Have you ever watched Extreme Cougars?? Crazy stuff!

la_bella_vita
by Silver Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:10 PM

1. No, he is older but not by much.

2. No but it's much more common.

3. Sometimes, depends on the couple

4. No, not at all

I have just 3 of these relationships in my family.

Chai latte please

ColleenF30
by Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:10 PM

My BF is 20 and I am 35. I love him, and his parents. We love each other as we are for who we are. Life is good. Before him I would only date older men. Swore I would never date a man younger than myself. Glad I changed my narrow mind, or I would have missed out on an awesome man.

KaysMom06
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 12:32 PM
  1. Are you older than your spouse/boyfriend/fiance? If so, by how many years?  - Yes. Not years. Im 3 weeks older than him lol
  1. Do you think older women in relationships with younger men is the new norm? - If older men can be with much younger women, I dont see why women cant do it as well. I dont know about the new norm but I do think the world is getting more used to seeing it.
  2. When you see an obvious age difference in couples, do you wonder what they possibly have in common? - No. Being with someone my age and having problems with me maturing faster than him.. I completely understand why a younger woman would want an older man. And for the older women who already has been there and done that I dont see anything wrong with having a younger man. Maybe they just want to have fun and free spirited. The older you get the more knowledge you get.. and sometimes that can suck. (Because you are more aware of all the bad things in the world) Just my views.
  3. Do you think there is still the double standard of it being acceptable for men to be older than women in a relationship, but still looked upon as an oddity if the woman is older? - There are always double standards in everything. Who cares what others think. If the person makes you happy then do what makes you happy. The people who are looking down on you are not the ones you go home to at night.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)