Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

It's Coffee Break time! Hot Topic: Are 'Cougars' the New Norm?

Welcome to Mom To Mom's Tuesday Coffee Break!

Actress Jamie-Lynn Sigler who is 31 recently announced her engagement to a 23 year old baseball player. Not only in celebrity but as a society, we are seeing more relationships where women are several years older than their significant others.

1. Are you older than your spouse/boyfriend/fiance? If so, by how many years?
  2. Do you think older women in relationships with younger men is the new norm?
  3. When you see an obvious age difference in couples, do you wonder what they possibly have in common?
  4. Do you think there is still the double standard of it being acceptable for men to be older than women in a relationship, but still looked upon as an oddity if the woman is older?

While you share your thoughts with us be sure to let us know what you would like us to serve you!

And be sure to check out these other posts while you wait:

by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:08 AM
Replies (41-47):
Knightquester
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 3:02 PM

1. Are you older than your spouse/boyfriend/fiance? If so, by how many years? No, my husband is older than me by 1yr and 2mo.'s
  2. Do you think older women in relationships with younger men is the new norm? No, nor do I think vice-versa is a norm.  I think it's one of those things that can happen depending on the couple.
  3. When you see an obvious age difference in couples, do you wonder what they possibly have in common? No, because I have known happily successful couples who have a huge age gap between them.  I think that some people mature at a different rate than others, and sometimes an older person will connect with a younger person and vice-versa.
  4. Do you think there is still the double standard of it being acceptable for men to be older than women in a relationship, but still looked upon as an oddity if the woman is older? Yes, because the media and movie industry have played the older man with younger women scenario as being acceptable making him out to be debonair, cool, or distinguished, whereas women aren't played up to be this way as they age.  Perhaps this stigma will change over time.
mommaleela
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 6:44 PM

As long as it's not like a show I heard about on TLC, I'm cool with it.  65 dating a boy in his early 20's is just WRONG and makes me feek icky.  I just threw up in my mouth a little thinking about that.

splatz
by Sarah on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:57 PM
1 mom liked this
You totally came to mind when I opened this post! Lol

Quoting goddess99:

I'm a cougar and love it! I married Chris was I was 35 and he was 22. Idk if it's the new norm but my brother also married a woman about 13 years older than him. When I see a 70 year old guy with a 20 year old woman I pretty much know what they have in common - his money lol. I don't know if there's a double standard, but I've gotten some high 5s from some other ladies lol.

I would love an iced caramel mocha.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
splatz
by Sarah on Feb. 19, 2013 at 11:58 PM
I definitely think there is a double standard. It seems more socially acceptable for older men to date younger women than for older women to date younger men.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
delanna6two
by Platinum Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:39 PM

I'm older than dh 5 years....I think it can depend not so on age but the chemistry of the couple together.  I did get a lot of rob the cradle comments when we 1st. married though...

Karla1948
by VS120 Lady on Feb. 20, 2013 at 4:52 PM

Cougars - I am one, and proud of it! I'm 64, and am now dating a man who is 34. Lots of advantages and pleasures; sex, being the lead in the relationship. But dealing with my own kids about it has been a bit of a challenge. And dealing with his family a bit more of one. Especially his mother!

This theme, "Cougars", deserves its own group...

almostthere55
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 5:30 PM

I think it really depends on the maturity level of both.  I personally wouldn't date a guy who was born in another "era", but that's just me.  I'm told I look young for my age (I'm 50), and always get the "wow you can't be that old" thing.  But when I converse with someone, let's say, in their 30's, I see nothing that we have in common that would interest me romantically.  Again, just me.  I think 5 or 6 years is no biggy and pretty normal.  But more than that would make me wonder what they could possibly have in common. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN