Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stay at home mom?

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 9:17 AM
  • 25 Replies
1 mom liked this
Hey everyone!
To make myself feel not so crazy I need to post this to get this off my chest.
Since my son was born (now a year ago- crazy!) I have been feeling like I don't get anything done around the house. I am a stay at home mom and I feel I do so much around the house to the point where I'm exhausted, but when I look around the house at the end of the day I feel like nothing has been done. I don't know if I just have high expectations or what but I feel like there is so much to do. Then when it comes time to go to bed I just lay there and say to myself "there is no time for sleep.. I need to do laundry, dishes, vacuuming, etc". I'm wondering if any of you moms feel the same?
As soon as I get the sink cleaned out and everything put away, it's lunch time.. So there goes another pile of dishes. Yes, I know there's a dishwasher BUT come on.. I'd rather hand wash and dry everything than empty a dishwasher.. I'll do laundry all day every day for a month as long as I don't have to empty the stupid dishwasher!
Also.. I have post partum hair loss like no other, so the minute I vacuum I have hair falling behind me and its as if I never vacuumed. Ah!
Please make me feel normal :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 9:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
wifeynmommie80
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 9:23 AM

I am wahsahm, I am up at 6am every morning, getting ready to get DS to school and get myself logged in to send out reports for work. By 11am I so tired. And looking around the house it feels hopeless. I clean everday. Clean up after my Pig boys. I got this app on my ipad that zones my house and has a 15 minute timer for universal cleaning....please doesn't work. My husband has seen how exhausting it is, we have a pretty big house, its hard. He has suggested hiring a housekeeper, I dont like idea of someone in my house cleaning my mess. But maybe just someone to do the little things I don't get too, like the baseboards or mopping a hallway, or just little cleaning, I am up for anything. I understand how you feel though.  If feels hopeless at times.

Janet
by Ruby Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 9:33 AM
3 moms liked this

Don't feel bad being a SAHM is one of the hardest jobs there is to do, especially when you have a little one to take care of. It will get easier with time.

goddess99
by Michelle on Feb. 20, 2013 at 11:07 AM
3 moms liked this

I'm a sahm and I have learned to just let it go. You'll never win the dishes, laundry, vacuum battle so I stopped trying. I do dishes every day, I do laundry a couple times a week and vacuum when it needs it. I pick up all day, every day, little things here and there. You just have to let go, I'm sure your house is fine. Just enjoy your son, don't worry about it.

ChristinaDuff
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 11:18 AM

I am a sahm as well and have just come to terms that trying to keep a house clean and perfect is impossible. You pick up a mess move to the next room to turn around and notice the mess is BACK! it is very stressful. I do all laundry on Saturday or Sunday and do the dishes after dinner before bed. That or I will clean out the dishwasher in the morning while preparing breakfast for the LO and put the dirty ones in as they are dirtied which makes it htat much easier to start at night and go to bed. Don't try to over exert yourself because than you will just drive yourself crazy! I also try to get things done when the LO lays down for a nap. 

I have the same shedding like a cat problem and I am still trying to figure out how to make it go away. I have noticed that taking a multi vitamin or a prenatal has helped though. 

Best of luck to you.

delanna6two
by Platinum Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 11:40 AM
1 mom liked this

Hugs...you are very normal....we all can feel overwhelmed as moms sometimes....but just give yourself time...

KZuz
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 11:45 AM
I think we all feel this way, by the time I get a moment to sit down, its after ten at night and there's still a hundred things that could be done! It gets easier when they get older and you can take your eyeballs off them long enough to clean..
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MichelleMc
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:20 PM

Hugs. It is rough. I am a WAH mom. And, I have set hours to be there, but when I am done, I can't get anything done. People are like, well you work at home? Yes, but I do have 8a-12p where I have to be AT work and can't do anything through those hours but even after, I just can't keep up. Sigh. It is so overwhelming at times. Course having Fibromyalgia doesn't help. Luckily my hubby is great about it. I am just my own worst enemy, we usually are. 

mom2the.rescue
by Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:28 PM

You're not alone.  I have 4 kids ages 11-2, a dh, and a dog.  The only time I rest is when I'm totally exhausted.  I never feel like anything's done.  Nobody is 100% happy, but no one's miserable either.  I try to force myself to do something I enjoy-but it often feels like just another thing to do.  I can't wait till my current class is over so I can read a book for enjoyment.  That forces me to relax and forget about all my responsibilities for a minute.

momoftwins9603
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 4:31 PM
Well I am a sahm to to three kids.My nine yr old is in school and my 19 month old twins.IS realize that there are things that won't get done.I spend one hr working out 3-4 days a week while my boys nap.That's my me time.My dh knows that the house won't be perfect so I quit trying lol.Don't be hard on yourself.
mleigh86
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 6:54 PM

maybe you could hire someone to come in once every one to few months to clean the little things you cant get to such as the baseboards and stuff so you dont have someone in your house cleaning weekly but just once every so often. its still someone in your house cleaning but very seldom compared to hiring a housekeeper to do regular cleanings. I know how you feel though i live with my boyfriend and 10 month old with my dad mom and moms sister and no one cleans except me and my mom and my mom works full time and no one cleans up after themselves hardly at all and theres 3 cats and 2 dogs, one which sheds sooooooo bad. it drives me especially crazy because im a neat freak. like i wash every dish i use immediately after using it. i do that not only cuz im a neat freak but to cut down on mess. ill clean the kitchen and floors and every counter and table top for it to be completely undone within 24 hours. it sucks and is so aggrivating. everyones such slobs for ex. a knife used for peanut butter will be laying on the counter with PB all over the counter instead of being put in the sink and the mess on the counter avoided. alot of times i just want to cry. its alot to do especially trying to do all this while watching a 10 month old at the same time.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)