Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

help!! pet problem

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 5:04 PM
  • 12 Replies
Hi ladies,i bought a hamster about little more then a week ago she is a Russian dwarf hamster,i gave get time after brought her over been trying touch her she just sucks me and bites me idk watt to do maybe more time she still very scared? Any ideas, does anyone have a hamster of their own advise please
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 5:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KRIZZ25
by Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 5:26 PM
1 mom liked this
I WOULD GIVE HER TIME ..
almostthere55
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 5:34 PM
1 mom liked this

Awe poor thing.  I've never had one so I am no help.  But I would say give her time too.  Maybe she just needs to adjust to her surroundings.  Do you take hamsters to the vet like other animals?  If so, maybe a trip there wouldn't hurt.  But I would wait and see how she acts in a week or so.  Good luck!

favi_donnie22
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 5:49 PM
Yes you do take em to the vet to, yeah i should give her another week or so before i take her to vet, I'm a pet lover so it hurts my feeling can't hold get but i do know it takes time, thing that worries me is she attacks to bite me

Quoting almostthere55:

Awe poor thing.  I've never had one so I am no help.  But I would say give her time too.  Maybe she just needs to adjust to her surroundings.  Do you take hamsters to the vet like other animals?  If so, maybe a trip there wouldn't hurt.  But I would wait and see how she acts in a week or so.  Good luck!

4in4NYMom
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 7:11 PM
1 mom liked this
I have had several hamsters over my lifetime. Unfortunately Russian Dwarves are amongst the nastiest of the hamsters. We had one and all she ever did was bite us.

Sorry, only advise I can suggest is see if the pet store would be able to swap them out.

Good Luck.
SlapItHigh
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 8:33 PM
1 mom liked this
Sorry. We just got a Syrian golden hamster and so far no problems.
JodyLane555
by Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 8:54 PM
1 mom liked this
syrians make better pets. we have had both and could never handle the russians. but we learned to coax them into a ball to clean the cage and loved them anyway. I am a pet sitter and have lots of pets so feel free to ask advice.
mommykc
by Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 9:44 PM
2 moms liked this
I had a few hamsters when I was a teenager. I prefer a teddy bear hamster. They r friendly. Any others are not good ones especially the golden ones.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Janet
by Ruby Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 8:08 AM
1 mom liked this
Keep working with it. Is all I can think of.
ameraznkimko
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 9:53 AM
1 mom liked this
Sorry to tell you this but hamsters are known for biting..some are sweet but the majority bite..a guinea pig would have been a better pet to play with
delanna6two
by Platinum Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 10:11 AM
1 mom liked this

I've never had one...hope things work out in time...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN