Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

help settle a argument... dishrags haha

Posted by   + Show Post

My mom drives me nuts when she comes over,  she made a mess in my kitchen, example spills coffee, she uses the rag im using to do dishes with to clean it up, and expects me to use that same rag to finish doing dishes.  To me this is disgusting, She says its normal. What do you moms do? I use clorox wipes to clean messes, and rags only if its a big mess but only use that rag for that. Do you moms use the same rag for multiple things?

by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 2:38 PM
Replies (11-20):
Janet
by Ruby Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 6:25 PM
This

Quoting klbetts:

I use the same rag to wash dishes and wipe the counters. I don't see why this is a big deal
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
WesternNYmom
by Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 6:45 PM

It depends on what I am using the rag to clean. If I am just using the rag to wipe crumbs of the already cleaned counter (dh always waits until the counter is cleaned to make a sandwich, and gets bread crumbs everywhere), I just rinse it out and continue to use in on the dishes. If the counter is really disgusting or I have used the rag to whip up something off the floor, I will get a new one to do the dishes.  I usually use Clorox wipes, but sometimes I need to scrub the counter down with a rag especially for big messes.  I also refuse to use a rag that I just use to clean up the mess I made with raw meat on my dishes. I would rather have to wash an extra wash cloth than make everyone in this house sick.

momma2b2008
by Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 6:49 PM

We use Clorox wipes to wipe up messes also. It grosses me out to use the same rag to do dishes and wipe down the stove and counter tops.

SlapItHigh
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 7:29 PM

Gross.  I'm prettypickyabout using a rag for more than one thing. 

MistressMinerva
by Jennifer on Feb. 23, 2013 at 7:40 PM

I would use it for both.

MJP76
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 10:15 PM

I don't use rags at all. They collect germs. I have a dishwasher that does my dishes. We have a few that need done by hand, I use a sponge, for dishes only.and wash the sponge in the dishwasher once a week.

for wipe downs of counters, frige, stove...I use wipes, or I use paper towels and spray.

BelleVernonGirl
by Member on Feb. 24, 2013 at 3:12 AM

Clorox wipes are frivolous in my house...don't got the time or the money for that....lol

Ginnygurl97
by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 3:21 AM
That is what I do too. Except after I rinse out the sponge and ring the water out I put it in the microwave in a plastic bag to kill any bacteria and to sanitize it. I'm really OCD about having cleaning supplies for each particular thing :-)

Quoting MJP76:

I don't use rags at all. They collect germs. I have a dishwasher that does my dishes. We have a few that need done by hand, I use a sponge, for dishes only.and wash the sponge in the dishwasher once a week.

for wipe downs of counters, frige, stove...I use wipes, or I use paper towels and spray.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
suetoo
by Member on Feb. 24, 2013 at 7:33 AM

You have a good point. Standard infection control rule: clean to clean is clean...clean to dirty is dirty! I have dozens of yellow kitchen cloths. They go from dishpan, to wipe up to laundry basket. And repeat. They get sent thru a bleach load regularly. But, your mom has a point, too. Your kitchen germs are ...part of the family. :-)

bahamamama61
by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 7:52 AM
I cut lots of rags up for easy disposal:) I don't like washing a bunch of weird smelling rags, plus, they hold alot of bacteria!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)