Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

so we were watching family guy...

And ds WAS sleeping. He just happened to wake up during the part of the episode where lois was pushing out baby jesus, and now ds knows how babies come out. Lol. He explains it as "the dr puts his hand where your winky should be if you had a winky and it hurts and you go like this **clenches fists and squishes face** and the baby comes out". Kinda vague, but with him not quite 4 yet I don't feel the need to elaborate. Lol.

So how did you guys explain childbirth to a future older sibling?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 10:20 PM
Replies (11-20):
cookinmommyof1
by Bronze Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 9:13 PM
I never lied, just told him there's different ways babies come out. I wasn't sure how in depth I should go. Lol. now he knows and hasn't brougt it up again yet. He usually asks several times a day. Lol

Quoting toni77:

My oldest was 4 when I was pregnant and I told him the truth. If I could have had a home birth and had him there I would have. I don't find it necessary to lie to them when they ask.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
toni77
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 9:20 PM
I wasn't insinuating you were lying hun. I just choose not to. I let my kids lead the way when it comes to these things unless they seem misguided, then I have to go with what feels best.

Quoting cookinmommyof1:

I never lied, just told him there's different ways babies come out. I wasn't sure how in depth I should go. Lol. now he knows and hasn't brougt it up again yet. He usually asks several times a day. Lol

Quoting toni77:

My oldest was 4 when I was pregnant and I told him the truth. If I could have had a home birth and had him there I would have. I don't find it necessary to lie to them when they ask.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
momamanda
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 9:36 PM

All of mine have been c-sections. So I told my kids at that the doctor gives mommy lots of medicine so she can't feel her tummy and then cuts a hole in mommys belly and pulls the baby out. I also told them that sometimes babies come out of mommys pee-pee. It's a fact of life. No big deal. They've never really asked how the baby gets in there. When they have asked I always say "God takes the love from mommy's heart and the love from daddy's heart and puts in the mommy's tummy so it can grow. My 9 year old still accepts that answer.

SlapItHigh
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 9:48 PM
I explain it factually with as simple words as possible to satisfy their curiosity accurately.
Aubs1990
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 9:51 PM

I love Family Guy lol. I would never let my kids watch it tho. I make sure they were sleeping in their rooms and my door was part way closed and if they get up I would be able to hear/see them first. I am Pregnant right now and my 2 and 4 Year old know that the baby is in my tummy and they talk to him/her, but never asked anything.

cookinmommyof1
by Bronze Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 10:16 PM
He's seen a snippet here or there, but never a whole episode. And he was sleeping, but his door opens and -bam- there's the tv. Lol. Whoops

Quoting Aubs1990:

I love Family Guy lol. I would never let my kids watch it tho. I make sure they were sleeping in their rooms and my door was part way closed and if they get up I would be able to hear/see them first. I am Pregnant right now and my 2 and 4 Year old know that the baby is in my tummy and they talk to him/her, but never asked anything.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cookinmommyof1
by Bronze Member on Feb. 25, 2013 at 10:16 PM
Dh would make up little white lies about it, but mi just kinds tried to answer sort of vaguely. Lol

Quoting toni77:

I wasn't insinuating you were lying hun. I just choose not to. I let my kids lead the way when it comes to these things unless they seem misguided, then I have to go with what feels best.

Quoting cookinmommyof1:

Quoting toni77:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Aubs1990
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 10:29 PM

Lol, yeah it happens.

Quoting cookinmommyof1:

He's seen a snippet here or there, but never a whole episode. And he was sleeping, but his door opens and -bam- there's the tv. Lol. Whoops

Quoting Aubs1990:

amanda81919
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 10:47 PM
All they know is babies sleep in mommies tummies. I didn't go any further.
KayDziedzic
by on Feb. 25, 2013 at 10:54 PM

I told DS and oDD, when I was pregnant when they were 3 and 4 and they started asking, that grown up girls have a special hole that is made only for putting a baby into the her tummy so it can grow, and for the baby to come out of when it's done growing.

They're 5 and 6 now, and I've elaborated as age-appropriately as possible as they've asked more questions. And there have been many, many more questions. They know that it takes a tiny part from the dad called a sperm and a tiny part from the mom called an egg mixed together to make a baby, but I haven't had to explain how those two pieces are traditionally put together yet. They know where the 'baby hole' is and that it's called a vagina; that sperm live in testicles and eggs live inside girls' bodies; that not all people have to have a baby--it's a choice that each person gets to make when they're grow up; and that babies cannot grow inside men's bodies.

My 6 (almost 7) year old DS is facinated with the human body. So I'm preparing myself for the inevitable question relating to the obvious difference between boys and girls, that will require a general explanation of sex, to be asked in the next year or two :/

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN