Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Advice for mom of 3.

Posted by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 12:08 AM
  • 5 Replies

I'm due in less than 6 weeks with baby number 3 and I'm hoping some other moms have some advice on a few different things.

1. Balancing time for all of them.How do I find time for 1 on 1 with both older children ages 4 and 2,time with both of them with out the baby ( I think I've got this one I am aiming while brother naps) time to just focus on the baby,and last but most certainly not least time with Daddy. (I know I also need time for house work but that's least of my worries.I want to make sure each of my loved ones are getting decent mommy time.

2.We just moved about 2 weeks ago and since it's a 3 bed room we went ahead and put the girls in a room together to share.This way they wouldn't think it was all because their brother when we move him from our room to his nursery. They love sharing a room but I can't keep my youngest out of her sisters bed.

3.My youngest still takes a binky. She only wants it if she sees it or if she gets really tired. (we usually hide it as much as possible but she loses them a lot and normally finds a lost one when others are hidden.)With my oldest i weined her off and once I got her down to just bed time for a month i told her they were going to the binky fairy so she could give them to little babies who needed them.This worked.For our youngest now I don't know a good way to finally kick the habit because her brother is about to be with us and he'll have his I know she'll want it and don't want to make her feel like it's his fault etc.

4. Nap time: My oldest stays up and plays all of nap time no matter how much you correct her.Then when it's almost time for naps to be over she falls asleep and won't get up for me.Or is very cranky if I force her up. (I've tried just not having her nap but if you wait an hour past what is normally nap time she gets un believably cranky.

5.Again with my oldest she has a very bad habit of instead of asking us for something she can't reach or she wants she'll scream and cry and expect us to know. Example: There's a toy too high.She immediately throws a tantrum. She wants a drink or anything else she immediately throws a tantrum. We try to explain when she wants something to just ask us and we will help but it hasn't sunk in.

Last but no least an idea on what to do for this:

In the new house none of the rooms upstairs lock but ours if we want it to but the doors stick.They stick so good that the kids can't open them.So in the morning I'm woken by screaming kids that they are awake and want out.If I don't get to them right away they make as much noise as possible till I come.Beating on the door,yelling,wiggling the knobb etc.I wake up as soon as they do but I've been trying to teach them that I won't come till they stop doing so. (They're right beside our room where the baby will be in a few weeks and if he's sleeping that's the last thing I want them doing)I've been making sure at 9:30 am (they used to sleep till 10 or 10:30 no problem but since we're in a half house  you can hear the neighbors when they're up and moving around they wake earlier.) I go and get them out of their room and we all use the potty then go down stairs for breakfast. How do I get them to stop the noise till I come or to undestand yelling once for me is ok but after that to stop?I can't leave the door open because of our stairs and my youngest.They are different from our last ones and she has trouble getting down these and has fallen once which makes me scared and also scares her. (Baby gates don't stop them.They take them down with ease.and if I'd gate it and they magically left it alone instead of their own door being shaken and beat on it would be ours which would be worse for the baby.)

by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 12:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
EvilAsh
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 10:47 AM

I'm about to be in the same boat as well. My girls are 4 and 2, my younger will be 3 when the baby comes. I'm worried about balancing it all too.

Advice about the pacifier though, just take it away from her. Don't hide it or let her have it. Try to keep away from them with the baby so she won't be tempted?

goddess99
by Michelle on Mar. 1, 2013 at 12:00 PM

Bump

Janet
by Ruby Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 12:17 PM
Sorry I never been in that situation.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
amonkeymom
by Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 2:37 PM

Congratulations!

My own kids are spaced much further apart so we've not really encountered the issues with things like binkies and such. 

As for one on one time, maybe you and your husband can work it out that one of you takes an older child once a week to do something fun (alternate weeks and children - dad takes older child week 1, mom takes younger child week 2, mom takes older child week 3, dad takes younger child week 4) or even just to the park or grocery shopping, just so that you're each spending some time with just one of the kids at a time.

Maevelyn
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 2:38 PM

stop over thinking things. Each kid is differnt my 3rd doesn't even take a binki. Your kids will work out the bed issue on there own. You can't force everything. If they like to snuggle and sleep great if it becomes a real problem worry about it then. 

One on one time doesn't need to be alone or a big deal. My 6 year old likes to read to the baby. She knows that the baby is too little to pick out books or get much out of reading time other than comfort but when she helps me read to the baby, she's really getting to read to me, hear me complament her ect. She gets to be important and clever. My 8 year old, well she's obessed with the baby and really doesn't want to do anything with me unless the baby is involved. I'm"mean" if I leave Isla out lol. when she was 20 months old and I brought her other sister home she was the same way. 

Your kids do not need the ability to bust into your room at any given moment. they can knock and wait for an answer. Tell them the story of the boy who cried wolf. freaking out and beating down the door should be saved for when you absolutly can not be ignored. Try the treasure jar. Put little stone, balls or whatever in a jar for good behavior, take stones out for bad. When the freak out they lose a stone. At the end of the week the stones can be used for something special. Picking a movie, picking a family game to play, ice cream, whatever floats their boat. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)