Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Family Table

Posted by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 11:42 AM
  • 21 Replies

Poll

Question: Do you have diner at the table with your family?

Options:

Yes

No

Sometimes

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 31

View Results

I was listening to NPR the other night on the way home from work, when a story about the family diner was on. The study shows that more and more American families are not gathering around the table every night. We eat together as a family almost every night. Do you?  

**PIOG 

by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 11:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
goddess99
by Michelle on Mar. 1, 2013 at 11:45 AM
1 mom liked this

Every night my dd is home, we have dinner as a family.

MichelleMc
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 12:09 PM

Nope. We do eat together at times, but we are a very close family. There are other ways to be close, to bond, to talk, to get to know each other, to have good times, and it surely isn't at a table when you should be eating, not talking.

Janet
by Ruby Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 12:12 PM
Yes we do.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
chattycassie
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 1:02 PM

We have great discussions around the table when we eat. We all get a chance to talk about our day give thanks to G-D for what we have. I think it is an important part of our day. I cherrish the moments. We also cook together and spend time outside the kitchen but this is a time I always get all my kids together to catch up on our days.

Quoting MichelleMc:

Nope. We do eat together at times, but we are a very close family. There are other ways to be close, to bond, to talk, to get to know each other, to have good times, and it surely isn't at a table when you should be eating, not talking.

PinkButterfly66
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 1:25 PM

We usually eat together, unless one of us isn't hungry.  

breebree04
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 2:53 PM

We usually sit and eat dinner together as a family but not other meals

Lovingmommy1028
by Vanessa on Mar. 1, 2013 at 3:10 PM

yes some nights we eat together but sometimes i sit by myself at the table 

MistressMinerva
by Jennifer on Mar. 1, 2013 at 4:16 PM

We have no kids at home anymore so No we don't. Our work schedules are crazy so we're never home together to eat together.

MistressMinerva
by Jennifer on Mar. 1, 2013 at 4:17 PM

The only time we eat at the table together is when have family is over for the holidays.

MichelleMc
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 7:32 AM

Quoting chattycassie:

We have great discussions around the table when we eat. We all get a chance to talk about our day give thanks to G-D for what we have. I think it is an important part of our day. I cherrish the moments. We also cook together and spend time outside the kitchen but this is a time I always get all my kids together to catch up on our days.

Quoting MichelleMc:

We do it in a million other ways. I just don't agree that a family table is the only way. And really don't see it as a way personally. Just isn't for us. Eating for us, is eating. Maybe if we go out to eat together, but otherwise. No. We eat & we are done. We aren't there to sit for an hour til the food is cold to talk. We can talk after & before, we bond over many other things. We do a lot of things we all enjoy together as a family. We do things seperate too dad & son, Mom & son, etc. We can Thank God ( not sure what the - is about ) without sitting at a table. I cherish many other moments. Moments of actually doing things together. Moments of really sitting & talking, where food isn't a part of it. A lot of times too, food being a part of things, isn't a healthy part of life, sets kids up to have food as a comfort. Food is just for to fuel the body. Not good to learn it is comfort. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)