Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

pregnant after a vasectomy?

Posted by   + Show Post
How many of you have gotten pregnant after a vasectomy after your dh /so has been given the all clear that he is sterile?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 2:46 PM
Replies (31-33):
SlapItHigh
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 2:18 PM
Yes, there are a variety of opinions on the matter.

Quoting OliviasMommy611:

In your opinion.

Quoting SlapItHigh:

You are mistaken. I haven't made any negative assumptions about others. Also, I don believe that everyone needs to have a big family. There are plenty of reasons to refrain from conceiving however this never makes it morally ok to be sterilized.

Quoting zacmacsmomm:

Ok, you are making completely unfair assumptions.  We have 2 kids, my hub had a vasectomy, I had a hysterectomy.  The best choice we made was to NOT have any more children.  Not because we are opposed to big families, I had wanted 4 kids.  But pregnancy was NOT good for me, neither was post partum AND our oldest was born with congenital heart defects, kidney defects oh and yea CANCER.  So if you are opposed to birth control GREAT.  But dont' make such negative assumption about those of us that don't want or need big families.  It's really not fair.

Quoting SlapItHigh:

I have 3 living children and hoping for more. I don't care what people think. It's sad that our society has such a bad attitude towards big families but we do live in a culture of death so I guess it's not surprising. I'm morally opposed to sterilization so it's out of the question for me and dh. There's a reason it brings you to tears -- truth is written on your heart. 

Quoting cassiehmomof3:

How many kids do you have? People act like I'm a crazy person because I have four. My husband is getting a vasectomy and I'm up in the air about. Sometimes to the point of tears.

Quoting SlapItHigh:

No sterilization in my marriage but here's a bump.

stressedmama24
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 2:24 PM
I am currently pregnant with a vasectomy baby. My Dh got a vasectomy January 2009 and it was only the clamps. He didn't get fully shipped and clipped. Well the clamps came undone in September and I was late and tested and sure enough I was pregnant. He had been saying for a few months previously that his nuts hurt where the clamps were. So he went to the st and got checked and we saw that they had come undone. It happens.
crystalsdreamm
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 12:06 PM

Just like a woman's Tubal Ligation there is that chance (see link)

http://www.webmd.com/sex/birth-control/vasectomy-14387  

How Well It Works

Vasectomy is a very effective (99.85%) birth control method. Only 1 to 2 women out of 1,000 will have an unplanned pregnancy in the first year after their partners have had a vasectomy.2

Risk of failure

Pregnancy may occur after vasectomy because of:

• Failure to use another birth control method until the sperm count is confirmed to be zero. It usually takes 10 to 20 ejaculations to completely clear sperm from the semen.
  • Spontaneous reconnection of a vas deferens or an opening in one end that allows sperm to mix with the semen again. This is very rare.

Risks

The risk of complications after a vasectomy is very low. Complications may include:

• Bleeding under the skin, which may cause swelling or bruising.
  • Infection at the site of the incision. In rare instances, an infection develops inside the scrotum.
  • Sperm leaking from a vas deferens into the tissue around it and forming a small lump (sperm granuloma). This condition is usually not painful, and it can be treated with rest and pain medication. Occasionally, surgery may be needed to remove the granuloma.
  • Inflammation of the tubes that move sperm from the testicles (congestiveepididymitis).
  • In rare cases, the vas deferens grows back together (recanalization), and the man becomes fertile again.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)