Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 year old and weaning?

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 7:44 AM
  • 7 Replies
So I went to my pediatrician yesterday for my sons 1 year check up. I haven't always agreed with this pediatrician and just kind of humor him while I'm there and forget about what he said because ultimately my husband and I know what's best for our little boy. If we don't feel comfortable with something we simply won't do it.
The pediatrician mentioned starting to wean him at this age.. He said by 15 months he should be weaned off breastmilk. So my question to you moms is.. Have your pediatricians told you the same thing? I am all about letting things happen when he is ready instead of shocking him out of no where and taking away things that he has grown to love. He had a pacifier for a while then all the sudden didn't want it and spit it out.. Since then I feel like he gives us little hints letting us know when he is ready for a change. When he wanted more solids he started acting uninterested in nursing. Now he only nurses when he wakes up, before his 2 naps and before bedtime. He eats about 5/6 times a day.. Breakfast, snack, lunch, snack, dinner.
There are no health reasons for me to keep stopping or for my son to stop nursing. He's growing like a weed and eating like a little monster.
Thanks for listening!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 7:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Proud-mama-05
by Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 7:50 AM
There is no reason you have to stop. 2yrs is actually recommend and there are many women who go beyond that. I personally wouldn't go past 2 1/2 tops but since my supply production has only made it to 4 months I guess I don't really know what I'd do for 100% lol. I'm hoping next time I can at least make it a year
SlapItHigh
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 9:11 AM
I have had a ped recommend that to me but when impressed the issue, it became clear that she wasn't very informed on Breastfeeding. Studies show that pediatricians get little to no training on BFing and nutrition. And that they are most likely to make recommendations based on their personal experience with their wife or themselves. And they let their own bias that has been shaped by culture effect their advice there. I didn't follow it. I will follow a peds advice on medical matters but not poor BFing advice. It doesn't make sense to wean my child that early when it still benefits him nutritionally and immunilogically. There are actually more immunological factors in the breast milk in the second year than the first. And then if you wean at 15 months you have to substitute another animals breast milk that's nowhere near as well suited for their digestive system or use a soy or nut milk which is even worse since it doesn't have the fat and nutrients needed for proper brain development. Fact is, even though 15 months is a long time according to our social standards today, it's actually premature weaning and the child still needs milk. I'll keep giving mine human milk. Cow milk for baby cows, human milk for baby humans!
Roo1234
by Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 9:51 AM
Three kids and never once did any of our pediatricians suggest weaning.
MJP76
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 12:47 PM

You have every right to change doctors. If you disagree with him so often, I'd seek other care.

OliviasMommy611
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 1:27 PM
Yup

Quoting MJP76:

You have every right to change doctors. If you disagree with him so often, I'd seek other care.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Janet
by Ruby Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 9:20 PM
1 mom liked this
Doctor Sears recommends years not months. I breastfeed mine for years. I didn't know she had immune problems. So I definitely did the right thing.
kss12
by on Mar. 3, 2013 at 11:36 AM
Bump bump bump
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)