Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

converting from crib to toddler bed.

Posted by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 8:57 PM
  • 17 Replies
Hi my name is kayla and I am 25 from rock island Illinois. I have two sons. Kaydin who is 20 months and Conner who is 5 months. My husband and I have tried to transition our son from his crib to a toddler bed and it lasted all of about 6 hours and we were all emotionally and physically drained. So therefore the crib rails went back up. Does anyone have any pointers on how to make this transition easier and less traumatic on my son and us?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 4, 2013 at 8:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cookinmommyof1
by Bronze Member on Mar. 4, 2013 at 11:40 PM
We let ds pick out his own toddler bed. He didn't have a convertible crib.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
goddess99
by Michelle on Mar. 5, 2013 at 9:38 AM

Maybe he's just not ready. I would wait and talk to him more about it. Try to make it exciting.

LilliesValley
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 9:44 AM
1 mom liked this
We made a big deal about it. Like picking out new sheets and a pillow. We got a bed rail to reassure dd she couldn't fall out of bed. We also started a new bedtime routine where I could read to dd in bed with her and snuggle. I'd also be able to sing to her and snug her in bed.

We also talked about it for a week or so ahead of time on how dd was getting to be such a big girl and needed a big girl bed and not a baby bed. We also bought a lamp and nightstand for next to her bed so we could read by that light. But give as much warning as possible, make s big deal about it, and use big boy verses baby bed a lot. And if you get the lamp and sheets he can't use those unless he's in his big boy bed. Those are big boy things and are not for babies. Good luck.
Pammi86
by Pamela on Mar. 5, 2013 at 10:36 AM

No sorry, still trying to get our dd out of our bed!

AleaKat
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 10:38 AM
I'd lay in here with him till he fell asleep. But be careful hell fees out when he wakes and you're not there.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CorpCityGrl
by Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 11:42 AM

Maybe he's not yet ready to do it.  Also maybe talk to him.

We transitioned DD to a toddler bed at around 18 months.  She has a convertible crib and we started having issues because she started climbing out of it all the time.  Once she started doing that, we figured she was ready.  We sat her down and talked to her about a big girl bed (just like mommy and daddy's but smaller) and we had no problems after that.

VickyJoJo
by Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 12:16 PM

We transitioned my daughter from the crib to a low profile twin bed at 2 years.  It may have been a little soon but my husband panicked a little when she fell after trying to crawl out of the crib.  Anyway, initially we had both the bed (with safety rail) and the crib in the room.  While they were both in the room, we did have a challenge getting her into the bed so we initially used the bed for naps/quiet time and the crib at night.  But once we removed the crib, there was no fuss about using the bed.  Your son may be a little young for the transition.  Or he may be resistant to the change and the idea of the bed that knows changing (same bed a different way) rather than just a new "big-boy" bed.  Frankly at 20 months, I would wait a little longer if you can to transition him.  Good luck.

delanna6two
by Platinum Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 2:39 PM

Hugs...hope things work out....maybe a little more time....I think we left the railings up until around 4yo with my last little one.

mamalusbear
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 2:57 PM

He might not be ready....we found a regular twin bed with railing was much easier than a toddler bed.  My little guy likes having some room to get comfy.

Janet
by Ruby Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 3:01 PM
It might be too soon. Try again in a few months.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN