Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Do u have a plan for what will happen to your children if u ever died?

Posted by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 9:48 AM
  • 10 Replies
I know this is a very hard subject to discuss but....what will happen to your children if something were to ever happen to you? My son doesn't speak, talk, etc with his biological father and as far as I'm concerned he never will. I am married. If anything were to ever happen to me I would want my son to be with my husband or my mother. My husband is my first decision bc my mother spoils the crap out of her children and lets them treat her like crap. do I go about getting a will for myself? How much would it cost? I live in north Carolina, if anyone could help me out it would be greatly appreciated :)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 9:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 10:04 AM

Yes I did. Now, he is 17. In May he turns 18 & in June leaves for Army Basic Training so good now. 

by Michelle on Mar. 6, 2013 at 10:37 AM
1 mom liked this

I would contact a law office and ask those questions.

by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 11:27 AM

Yes, I have a plan. People should always have a plan. If my daughter is under the age of 18 they will both go to their grandmas in PA (their choice) if DD is 18+ she will get custody of youngest DS and they can either make the choice to stay here in the home (which would be paid off in the event of an untimely death) or they could go live in PA with grandma.

i would hope that in the event that she is 18+ she would choose to stay here in this home, the whole reason for us buying this home, is for the kids to have a place of their own after we die mortgage free. To make their financial burdens of being an adult a little less.

as far as your questions, seek a law office in you area.

by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 11:45 AM
1 mom liked this

In your case I would suggest contacting a lawyer that deals with trust and non-contestable wills and ask about your son.  Your situation is far different given that your son has a biological father and if something happened to you the state would more than likely inform his father of your passing.  In which if he wished to step up and take custody of your son at that point he would more than likely be granted it or some form of it.  It could become a battle that your husband and family wouldn't want to go through after having lost you.

For us we have a will and testament that we need to update and amend.  Our children were to go to friends of ours that are like family to us.  They were more than financially, mentally and physically able to take on four children, so we made them our children's godparents.  Our children and family know of our wishes, however not even a month ago their godfather has passed away so this means adjusting the will to state the children would be going just to the godmother.

Even in our situation where we know both sides of our family aren't too happy our children aren't going to "blood" we should have a lawyer, but at the time we wrote up our will and testament we had no money to afford a lawyer.  We chose to write ours up through  Also my spouse and I wrote letters of intent upon death that we still need to notarize, copy and place in the safe.   If you cannot do the lawyer route then the next best step is to let everybody in your family know of your intent, place it in writing or videotape it and put it in a safe, and try to have some document also stating your intent.

by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 11:51 AM

I have about 300K in life insurance for me, my husband has 500K for him. If something happened to us, the beneficiary is my mother, By Texas state law my Dad would get the house and everything entailed in it, only becuase he is closer and he could afford it better than my mom. Our son would go to my Mother. And a joint custody between the two.

by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 1:15 PM

 You can get the forms for a living will online. It;s a pretty simple process and VERY important if you don't want your son going to the BIO dad if something happens to you, For this you should not need a lawyer

by New Member on Mar. 6, 2013 at 1:25 PM
Yes we have a plan. my boys will go to my mother in law she raised 6 wonderful children and is a better option if she can't thier 22yr old half brother will raise them with his children i wish i could trust my mom but that's awhole different set of issues we used a family law attorney to create a non contestable will that is iron clad i did so while pregnant with my first and we keep it updated every year
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 8:25 PM
No, but I want to get life insurance. My hubbies dad died when he was nineteen and thanks to his insurance policy my husband was able to finish his degree and put a down payment on our house and of course get a good job. I worry sometimes about my little buddy, I want to make sure if we die he gets something to make his life a little easier.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 8:35 PM

I would want SO to have full custody, tho my mom would likely try getting at least partial custody. My fears are more so if something happened to me and SO. His mom would be super upset because with her neck issues she can't lift much so there's no way she'd ever get DD, which I'm all for. Once right in front of DD she said how she wanted to kick some one's ass and I ended up having DD tell me in the middle of Target that she needed to kick my ass.

by on Mar. 6, 2013 at 9:06 PM

I imagine my children will go to their grandparents or my brother.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)