Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Vacation...

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 7:29 AM
  • 21 Replies
Every year my mom&stepdad go on vacation.. I really want to go with them, I didn't get to go last year because of my college schedule..and now I don't know if I should go because I have a baby. Right now my baby is a month old, and they're going on vacation at the end of March so he will be almost 2 months old. We live in NY and they're driving to FL, stopping in GA to visit my uncle. They do this every year and it takes about a day if they drive straight through only stopping for bathroom breaks and to get gas. I don't know if we should go though because idk how my baby would be with such a long drive, and it will be a huge climate change for him:-/ idk what I should do.. I *could* wait a few months and go to NC with my dads family but I really wanted to go to GA&FL :(
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 7:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
newmom3917
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:44 AM
Bump!
auntangelofsix
by Angel on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:53 AM
Bump
MJP76
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:10 AM

I personally wouldn't travel with a young child. You may get lucky and your baby will sleep the whole way. But that's a whole day, of just sitting in a car seat. Pulling over to feed baby, pulling over to change baby, pulling over to hold baby if baby wants to cry..

when our children were young the farthest we'd go is the 7 hours to grandmas house, although we never made the trip when any of the kids were under 8 months, I can say all the trips under the age of 5 were not fun. So I mean you do have the advantage of the baby being so young and just sleeping most of the way. I still wouldn't do it.

Pammi86
by Pamela on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:18 AM

I would not travel that far with that young of a child.

goddess99
by Michelle on Mar. 8, 2013 at 11:30 AM

I wouldn't travel like that with a baby.

undrcvrmom
by Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 11:40 AM
2 moms liked this

GO! Have a good time.  The baby will sleep, eat and poop and you can take that on the road no problem.  It gets harder as they get older and as you acquire more;)lol

Take any opportunity you can to travel I think.

MistressMinerva
by Jennifer on Mar. 8, 2013 at 11:51 AM

I would wait.

Knightquester
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 12:08 PM
2 moms liked this

My eldest was 10 weeks old when we drove across several states and she did fine.  I changed her diaper and fed her as often as I could, and she at that age slept more than she was awake.  All of my children traveled at an early age usually by the first three months of their life they've either flown on a plane or in most cases driven several states to get someplace.

I didn't stop living because I had children, I include them in my life plans and choices.  My children enjoy vacations and are used to long car rides so our trips aren't arduous or painful like many people I've met have experienced with their own family.

SeabeeWife2011
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 3:49 PM
1 mom liked this
You won't know until you try.... I'm about to travel with my 2 month old baby and husband to see my family in Florida. He has his first set of shots and not too worried about anything. Your baby will fuss like mine will, feed your little one when needed and change when needed. You don't necessarily have to pull over every time. Have someone drive carefully while you feed and change him/her.
Janet
by Ruby Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:27 PM
It's your call.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)