Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Every year my mom&stepdad go on vacation.. I really want to go with them, I didn't get to go last year because of my college schedule..and now I don't know if I should go because I have a baby. Right now my baby is a month old, and they're going on vacation at the end of March so he will be almost 2 months old. We live in NY and they're driving to FL, stopping in GA to visit my uncle. They do this every year and it takes about a day if they drive straight through only stopping for bathroom breaks and to get gas. I don't know if we should go though because idk how my baby would be with such a long drive, and it will be a huge climate change for him:-/ idk what I should do.. I *could* wait a few months and go to NC with my dads family but I really wanted to go to GA&FL :(
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 7:29 AM
Replies (11-20):
Queen_Bree
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:18 PM
1 mom liked this

I traveled every where with my little ones... They sleep most of the time... make sure you stop and take time out for them. Have a great time!

momamanda
by Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 11:41 PM

I would only do it if they understand that traveling with a baby will be different then traveling without one!!!

SlapItHigh
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 9:06 AM

I probably wouldn't want to do that long of a drive with a 2 month old unless they were willing to make more stops. 

SeabeeWife2011
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 9:39 PM
Well my 3 month old survived the plane ride. Just a little bit of Tylenol to ease him and he slept most of the time while flying to Florida. On the way back to Cali though...oh boy. I stuck with the same tactics and yet he wasn't into flying back to the west. His ears definitely were popping once we descended. Poor thing :( then he passed out. He woke right as we were getting into the car and I fed him when we got home, changed him and made him comfortable and he slept through the night....bless his little heart <3
MansfieldMama
by Angela on Apr. 12, 2013 at 9:33 AM

My husband and I have travelled with our boys since they were born, and now they are exceptional travellers.  We didn't involve others, though, when they were very young.  It can be difficult travelling with a baby, and you will need to stop more often.  Your parents may not be willing to adjust their plans.  See how they feel about travelling with an infant.  If they are up for it, I would go for it, but I wouldn't inconvenience them if they aren't fully on board.

*I wouldn't worry about the climate change at all.

chattycassie
by on Apr. 12, 2013 at 10:01 AM

I traveled with my now 14 y/o daughter a lot when she was an infant ( immnigration hearings for her dad) She did great. WE lucked out and she would almost always sleep the whole way.  Good luck

Mandamom1
by on Apr. 12, 2013 at 10:01 AM
Just make sure that everyone is ok with having to make more stops and then I say go for it. Just be organized with everything that you need to make the trip easier on everyone
newmom3917
by on Apr. 12, 2013 at 12:07 PM
** update!: we went.. and it went great. He slept some of the way, we had to stop a few extra times, not too awful many, not as bad as anyone thought it would be. Sometimes for the drive he'd be awake for an hr or two just smiling & playing because he sat between me & his daddy. we tried to distract him & have fun with him. We went to the beach & he played in his little tent, and he napped inside our room while we swam in the pool @the house we rented.. we made sure to pick the room that had two windows leading right out to the pool & we opened a window so we could hear if he cried. All in all it went pretty great! We stayed home the day that everyone went on an airboat ride & went to gatorland. It was supposed to rain & I wasnt going to take him on the airboat so we would have had to take turns so we just decided to stay back at the house which was nice because it was just me, so & the baby home together all day and we played with the baby, then ordered a pizza, then swam while he napped, it was nice to have a day to ourselves. I was so surprised & amazed at how well it went. His daddy says he has trucker blood because his grandpas a trucker :) lol
newmom3917
by on Apr. 12, 2013 at 12:12 PM

Playing with mama in his tent on the beach! :) there was always someone sitting with him, we all took turns. When he needed to be fed I layed right in the little tent with him, only my top half fit in there, my legs stuck out of the tent, I just layed down a towel for them to lay on and they got a little tan lol.
newmom3917
by on Apr. 12, 2013 at 12:15 PM
1 mom liked this
We went & I did pretty good.. we didn't have to buy anything for him or us, I packed everything :)I glad I didn't forget anything, even brought enough diapers for the whole week! It was easier because I breastfeed so I didnt have to worry about food for him.. and the house had a washer &dryer so I brought a little bottle of his detergent :)

Quoting Mandamom1:

Just make sure that everyone is ok with having to make more stops and then I say go for it. Just be organized with everything that you need to make the trip easier on everyone

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)