Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

My 2 year old daughter wont eat right any suggestion, comments, advice please help!

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:26 PM
  • 28 Replies
1 mom liked this

Hi im new to this cafemom and im looking to connect with other moms and get some insight on other moms experiences. My 2 year old daughter is fussy about when she does and does not want to eat. she only likes certain food and i dont make her eat anything she doesnt like because i hated when my mom did that to me. i know what she likes and ill make her seperate dinners from my husband and i because she wont eat everything we do. i dont mind cooking special meals for her but sometimes she refuses to eat no matter what i put in front of her. ive had people tell me make her wait for her next meal and dont let her control it but my daughter is tiny . when i was pregnant with her i had a very rough pregnancy and her umbilical blood flow was abnormal and i got severe preaclampsyia at 32 weeks but because of the umbilical blood flow she was born at only 2 lbs 4 oz and she BARELY made it. i had an emergyncy c section with her and they didnt even think she was going to pull through it. thank god she did and she is one strong little girl but it scares me when she doesnt eat and my husband and i give her vitamins every day plus a daily pediasure, but shes still only 18 lbs. it scares me when she doesnt eat because shes so tiny as it is that im terrified of her losing weight and becoming unhealthy. please any comments suggestions experiences are greatly appreciated!!!!!

by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Janet
by Ruby Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:39 PM
Did you talk to your pediatrician about it. I did when mine was that age and wouldn't eat. He said she was okay as long as she has plenty of energy. So I wou discuss this with your pediatrician and see what he tells you. Mine said as long as she was eating it was fine. 2 and 18 pounds is really small.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MommyGoldbach
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:48 PM

i talked to her pediatrician last appointment a few months ago about it and he said as long as her meals are the size of a quarter then shes doing fine i mean shes not super skinny she has a belly because shes so short but im just terrified of her losing weight. shes going in for her 2 year appointment in a week so hopefully shes gained a couple pounds since the last appointment.

opinionated07
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 12:03 AM
My daughter is also very picky. I started letting her help make stuff and it seemed to help persuade her a little more to try stuff she thought she didnt like. Worth a try!
KW1280
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 12:18 AM
Try this book by jessica seinfeld called deceptively delicious. It is 10$ on amazon
Manda0606
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 12:35 AM
You ever got kids pediasure or she can have ensure. That has alot of nutrients and all the good stuff to help her gain weight
SlapItHigh
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 9:05 AM
1 mom liked this

She may have a sensory disorder that causes her picky eating. 

MJP76
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 11:45 AM
2 moms liked this

I have personally always used the "eat it or starve" method. I even have a sign that hangs in my kitchen. Although when they are young like that I did take a slightly different approach. When they were younger I did give them what I'd know they would eat (within reason, no junk) however if they didn't eat it when it was time to eat then they did have to wait until the next meal.

when they hit about 4/5 It was a "you eat what I cook or you starve" method. I wasn't going to go the rest of life letting my children think I'm a buffet.  But I'd def get her on a schedule. Small children are supposed to have snacks between meals because their tummies are so small. But when she throws a fit at one of the meal/snack times, it's not going to hurt for her to skip it, at least it will teach her (eventually) that she is to eat when you say so. Being on a schedule will also cut down on overeating in the future.

orngblsm
by Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 2:34 PM

I had the same issue with my youngest son.  I ended up giving him High Protein Boost, on the recommendation of his doctor,  and put four pounds on him in a month.  The pediasure just wasn't working, and I had to do something because he looked like a third-world baby, stick-thin arms and legs and a bloated belly.  (For those who will be critical of my "fattening him up,"  I have never been able to put much weight on him.  Currently, he is 5'9", BARELY 114 lbs, and looks borderline anorexic even though he eats like a horse.)  Anyway, can you figure out why she is so picky?  Sounds odd, but she could have sensory issues and it could be the texture of the food that is putting her off.  Always offer her bites of what you are eating.  You are giving her vitamins.  She is getting nutrients.  It won't hurt her to miss a meal or two, and she might be more receptive to what is put before her.  However, at age 2, she is going to figure out how to control you by her eating habits (and she will).  Unless you want to spend the next few years being a restaurant to your daughter, have a talk with the pediatrician and discuss your fears regarding her weight.

MommyGoldbach
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 9:11 PM

Thankyou so much ladies!!! i appreciate all the feedback, im going to try them all :)

suetoo
by Bronze Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 8:05 AM

First, remember she was tiny to start with. I'd try sneaking in an extra snack, and making all her food as nutrious as possible. I like to put zucchini in brownies, use white whole wheat flour, sneak cherries into chocolate cake, put finely grated cheese in muffins, and let her start helping. Get her her own kitchen stool, apron and cooking set, fun shaped mini baking tins. The Sesame Street Cookbooks are great, I have B is for Baking, and C is for Cooking. She might like to eat orange mashed potatoes, (grated carrots). Or blue banana muffins, (mash blueberries with the banana). And if you cook and bake together, maybe she could make extra for a gramma or friend. It's good you consulted your dr. Being food fussy is a normal part of toddler development. Just roll with it and never let your anxiety over her wt or eating habits be conveyed to her. Never! Lead her into making good food choices by example, never let what she doesn't eat become a battle or punished. Hugs

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN