Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

My 2 year old daughter wont eat right any suggestion, comments, advice please help!

Posted by   + Show Post

Hi im new to this cafemom and im looking to connect with other moms and get some insight on other moms experiences. My 2 year old daughter is fussy about when she does and does not want to eat. she only likes certain food and i dont make her eat anything she doesnt like because i hated when my mom did that to me. i know what she likes and ill make her seperate dinners from my husband and i because she wont eat everything we do. i dont mind cooking special meals for her but sometimes she refuses to eat no matter what i put in front of her. ive had people tell me make her wait for her next meal and dont let her control it but my daughter is tiny . when i was pregnant with her i had a very rough pregnancy and her umbilical blood flow was abnormal and i got severe preaclampsyia at 32 weeks but because of the umbilical blood flow she was born at only 2 lbs 4 oz and she BARELY made it. i had an emergyncy c section with her and they didnt even think she was going to pull through it. thank god she did and she is one strong little girl but it scares me when she doesnt eat and my husband and i give her vitamins every day plus a daily pediasure, but shes still only 18 lbs. it scares me when she doesnt eat because shes so tiny as it is that im terrified of her losing weight and becoming unhealthy. please any comments suggestions experiences are greatly appreciated!!!!!

by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:26 PM
Replies (21-28):
goddess99
by Michelle on Apr. 15, 2013 at 9:30 PM

She won't let herself starve, you could talk to a dietitian. You could add butter or gravy to her foods, to add calories, You could give her pizza, more cheese, These are all things a dietitian told me to do for my dd.

RebeccaElaine23
by on Apr. 16, 2013 at 11:06 AM

I am having this same problem. My daughter is 2 (3 in August) and only 20 pounds. She has SPD, so naturally she's an extremely picky eater. She goes through "food phases" where one week she'll only eat one hotdog, where other's she'll only want waffles. I have found that if I buy foods with characters on them (like Dora or Spongebob... two of her favorites), she's more inclined to try it. The first time I was able to get her to drink from a different cup than her one straw cup, it was a spongebob belly washers. For her, this was huge. Also, making things fun like letting her help make her snacks does help. I'll let my daughter have apples with a small bowl of peanut butter and she feels very independent for putting the peanut butter on by herself. Kids know when they need something like food or water. Be firm and let her know when meal and snack times are. If she asks for something, let her know she won't be getting anything else until what she's asked for is finished. Good luck, mama! 

mumamy
by on Apr. 16, 2013 at 11:13 AM

I've never been a fan of the "go to bed hungry" (I was raised this way and it never hurt me) but I just think far out...I love my food and dont want them to go to bed with a grizzly tummy and not sleep as easy so just cant do it.

Ive been lucky that my kids arent fussy in general but when they went through the no meat or veg stage......hello blender!! I cook meals to hide foods in (eg lasagne, pasta dishes, slow cooker meals). My hubby isnt a fan of vegies....again.....love my blender.
When my nephew comes to visit his mum often asks - how did yo uget him to eat that!!?? I cook with him. I find most kids who dont eat things will if you involve them in the preparation and give reasonable choices.

othermom
by Silver Member on Apr. 16, 2013 at 11:17 AM

Talk to her pediatrition. All my kids have gone through a stage around that age when they barely ate. I did always offer them what we had to usually. I would offer three meals and 3 snacks a day. Sometimes lunch for them was  1/4 of a peanut butter sandwhich and a couple bites of fruit. Maybe try smoothies, yogurts, or other things like that

othermom
by Silver Member on Apr. 16, 2013 at 11:19 AM

I offer my kids their meal and if they don't eat it, they don't get anything else till the next meal, but they are able to fnish their meal. They don't get offered big servings and usually have atleast 1-2 things on their plate that they do like. It is very rare that they have a meal where they don't like anything. A meal for instance would be 1 chicken leg, 1/4 cup  of corn kerrnels and 1/4 cup of suddenly salad

Quoting mumamy:

I've never been a fan of the "go to bed hungry" (I was raised this way and it never hurt me) but I just think far out...I love my food and dont want them to go to bed with a grizzly tummy and not sleep as easy so just cant do it.

Ive been lucky that my kids arent fussy in general but when they went through the no meat or veg stage......hello blender!! I cook meals to hide foods in (eg lasagne, pasta dishes, slow cooker meals). My hubby isnt a fan of vegies....again.....love my blender.
When my nephew comes to visit his mum often asks - how did yo uget him to eat that!!?? I cook with him. I find most kids who dont eat things will if you involve them in the preparation and give reasonable choices.

zacmacsmomm
by Member on Apr. 16, 2013 at 11:39 AM

I understand your concerns.  My daughter was tiny as well.  Still is.  Although she did miss meals when she wouldn't eat, plain and simple.  I don't make seperate meals.  When my daughter was 2, she was a grazer and VERY picky.  She pretty much lived on peanut butter lol.  We didn't even really enforce her eating at the table at dinner time, or enforcing the "eat this or go hungry" till she was closer to 3 years old. 

jett286
by on Apr. 16, 2013 at 5:15 PM

My oldest was always on the smaller side 25% for weight pretty much for the entire time those measurements are used....He was a grazer and we didn't make food a battle, but if he didn't eat dinner he couldn't have a snack before bed. Our pedatrician wasn't concerned when we discussed it, we just gave him a multi vitamin and had healthy food for him. I never bought into the short order cook method, but I always had SOMETHING on the table my kids would eat.  When they got older and still now at 18 and 16 I make dinner, if they dont want to eat it, they can make their own.  Try not to worry, it sounds like  she is getting what she needs and as long as your Dr isn't worried I wouldn't worry.

EarlGrayHot
by on Apr. 17, 2013 at 12:50 PM

It's fine to offer something special for her but ask that she try most things before saying she doesn't like them.  At some point it can become a strain for whomever does the cooking.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN