Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

need help with gifted child

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:48 PM
  • 24 Replies
Hi, my child will be starting kindergarten this September. The thing is he is highly gifted, was tested by doctors too. He was able to walk at 8 months speak sentences by 10 months, learn to read and count by one and half. He remember many things from when he was 1. He talks like a 12 year old. I'm not sure if I should let the teachers know? Or if he is ok going to kindergarten I'm afraid he might be bored learning things he already knows. Any advice?
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MistressMinerva
by Jennifer on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:17 PM
2 moms liked this

I would let the teachers know so that they can help him not to be bored if he already knows more then the others. I'm sure they would have some suggestions for what you need to do.

Maryjane86
by New Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 9:59 PM
Thank you for your reply :)
Queen_Bree
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:08 PM
1 mom liked this

My son was an above average learner( reading on 7th grade level in 2nd stuff like that). He was bored because the teachers didnt know. Let them know so he can get the best help for his needs.

JasonsMom2007
by Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 10:09 PM
2 moms liked this

I homeschool my gifted son through a charter homeschool program.  I can tell you from experience that the teacher may not believe you even if you tell them he is gifted.  So many parents say their kid is gifted they just don't believe it anymore.

sweetmomma326
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 11:28 PM

More than likely, he will have the chance to be moved up.  I was as a child, but didn't.

want10more
by Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 4:51 AM

my kid in 6th grade was FINALLY tested out as about a soph in college. teachers were like, congrats, and i thot, well DOH i've been telling ya that for YEARS! you have a kid like mine.... special needs. special needs doesn't always mean behind, also means ahead. yeah TELL THE TEACHER. make them test test test him.

audreesmama
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 4:58 AM
My dd is 4 and is adding and subtracting. She can also read well. She is in pre-k this year, and has tested into 2nd grade at a STEM school next year. I went to the school and asked them to test her for G&T. They did and thankfully, agreed that the first two grade are irrelevant. She will be in a class with only four other students, who are all G&T. We are going to try this for 6 weeks and see what happens. Make them test your child!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SlapItHigh
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 8:58 AM

Other than reading at age 1, lol....sounds pretty normal. I would wait and let them decide if he is gifted. Both of my school aged sons are in the gifted program. They wanted my oldest to skip a grade his second year but we didn't allow it. 

Janet
by Ruby Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 2:48 PM
I would tell them. Here they test before they enter kindergarten.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
momtoBrenna
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 3:37 PM

I would tell them and bring in your test results from the doctor and go from there. Be prepared to be given a hard time and don't give up on being his advocate. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN