Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

need help with gifted child

Posted by   + Show Post
Hi, my child will be starting kindergarten this September. The thing is he is highly gifted, was tested by doctors too. He was able to walk at 8 months speak sentences by 10 months, learn to read and count by one and half. He remember many things from when he was 1. He talks like a 12 year old. I'm not sure if I should let the teachers know? Or if he is ok going to kindergarten I'm afraid he might be bored learning things he already knows. Any advice?
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:48 PM
Replies (21-24):
momtoBrenna
by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 6:59 AM

It's actually been more of a problem with dh's family and our local school district telling us that they cannot educate our dd because she's too far ahead. We got lucky and a spot opened up at our local gifted charter school. Even then, she is grade advanced in math currently and will most likely skip the rest of 2nd grade and go to 3rd in the fall instead of 2nd. 

Quoting want10more:

omigosh momtoBrenna......... u've been down the same path as i have been! they don't wanna admit do they? and dammitall. it's NOT that we're saying oh wow my kids are sooooo kewllllll. it's saying hey! i have a special needs kid, HELP ME!

Quoting momtoBrenna:

I would tell them and bring in your test results from the doctor and go from there. Be prepared to be given a hard time and don't give up on being his advocate. 

goddess99
by Michelle on Mar. 11, 2013 at 12:25 PM

Same.

Quoting Janet:

I would tell them. Here they test before they enter kindergarten.

Maryjane86
by New Member on Mar. 12, 2013 at 12:40 AM
Quoting ProudMommy_2012:

As a Former Kindergarten Teacher, I agree that you should test and let the teacher and Principal know. But also understand, that just because your child is academically advanced, socially he may not be ready to move beyond his grade level. I have had several students who academically were beyond the Kindergarten level, but their social skills were lacking and held them back. Just food for thought!

Thanks actually that's what happened to my child in preschool they wanted to move him up. But out turns out he was not socially ready.
LADYxGHOST
by New Member on Mar. 12, 2013 at 3:53 AM

My dd was very gifted to. She loved kinder but we had to supliment her learning at home. She loved playing and painting, and helpng other learn to read.  She really liked being teachers helper. However if I could do it over, I would have been more forceful in my request her be placed either in 1st grade or skip to 2ed. (she didn't make the cut-off fro kinder but becasue she could read and write already they agreed to let her start kinder on the latest track (it was a year roun school). She likes that school is easy, it gives her more time for her hobbies. I tried telling her teachers she could read and write already. The main teacher just smiled and odded as if I was making the shit up. After the first week, she was more reseptive about my dd and gave her extra work to do. Instead of just color the picture she had to read and follow directions on what to color wic color and stuf like that. If she didn't enjoy being a little helper she would have hated kinder and first and 2ed and 3rd etc.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)