Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

need help with gifted child

Posted by   + Show Post
Hi, my child will be starting kindergarten this September. The thing is he is highly gifted, was tested by doctors too. He was able to walk at 8 months speak sentences by 10 months, learn to read and count by one and half. He remember many things from when he was 1. He talks like a 12 year old. I'm not sure if I should let the teachers know? Or if he is ok going to kindergarten I'm afraid he might be bored learning things he already knows. Any advice?
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:48 PM
Replies (11-20):
SlapItHigh
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 7:27 PM
They test kids I our district. Parents can request it or the teacher automatically sends any advanced kids for testing. Both I my school aged kids were tested and put in the gifted program.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SlapItHigh
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 7:27 PM
*of
xanayda
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 7:34 PM
1 mom liked this
This is pretty much how our county does it too. My daughter has been in the advanced since kindergarten she's in 2nd grade now. :)

Quoting SlapItHigh:

They test kids I our district. Parents can request it or the teacher automatically sends any advanced kids for testing. Both I my school aged kids were tested and put in the gifted program.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TigressLily
by Member on Mar. 9, 2013 at 11:29 PM

I was above average, my niece was above average.. the teachers knew, we were both still put in the same grades per our ages. They wanted to skip my grade twice, but my mom wouldn't let them. I did just fine, even though I do sort of wish my mom would have let them skip me a grade or two, but she wanted me to be with kids my own age. I would just let the teachers know and if they want to skip him a grade or two, discuss it with your son in great detail of the good and bad that would come from it {not being with kids his own age, moving on a lot sooner than his friends, college for example.... but also being done with school that much sooner and being ahead in his career quite a bit earlier than most, and he would have fun actually learning and being challenged instead of doing the stuff he already knows how to do etc}.... Only if this situation arises. It may surprise you still yet that there may be a couple things that kindergarten may be able to teach him so I wouldn't try to just skip it. Just let the teachers know and go from there. They can assess his intellectual skills to see if he would be better suited in a higher grade all-around or not.

OliviasMommy611
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 11:34 PM
Let them decide if the child is gifted.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ProudMommy_2012
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 10:25 AM
As a Former Kindergarten Teacher, I agree that you should test and let the teacher and Principal know. But also understand, that just because your child is academically advanced, socially he may not be ready to move beyond his grade level. I have had several students who academically were beyond the Kindergarten level, but their social skills were lacking and held them back. Just food for thought!
Basherte
by Bronze Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 12:54 PM

Quoting MistressMinerva:

I would let the teachers know so that they can help him not to be bored if he already knows more then the others. I'm sure they would have some suggestions for what you need to do.

I see this as the same as letting my son's teachers know that he has autism and has special needs.  

Gifted children tend to get bored rather easily. So letting his teacher(s) know about it ahead of time could help not only your little one, but his teachers as well. They will then be less likely to feel that your child is a trouble maker, when the truth of the matter could simply be that he's bored. They will be able to make the lessons a bit more challenging for him so that he still feels engaged.

wedding countdown

momamanda
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 3:48 PM

Have you considered homeschooling?

MusherMaggie
by Bronze Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 11:49 PM
He will still need to learn social smile, so don't skip him along too fast. He still needs a chance and time to mature emotionally and physically in order to be well balanced.
want10more
by Member on Mar. 11, 2013 at 4:04 AM

omigosh momtoBrenna......... u've been down the same path as i have been! they don't wanna admit do they? and dammitall. it's NOT that we're saying oh wow my kids are sooooo kewllllll. it's saying hey! i have a special needs kid, HELP ME!

Quoting momtoBrenna:

I would tell them and bring in your test results from the doctor and go from there. Be prepared to be given a hard time and don't give up on being his advocate. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN