Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

easy healthy dinners for traveling.

Posted by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 10:33 PM
  • 15 Replies

So the summer of 2011. We went on a cross country dirve with our kiddos. We live in southeast Georgia and my dhs' family live in British Columbia. So we drove there. The kids were 3,5,and 7. It took 7 days to get there. Well DH wants to do it again this summer So I am already trying to get some ideas and plan. We stay in hotels so we have breakfast there. Lunch everyday was a picnic lunch sandwiches, veggies and ranch, chips or crackers. That was all good. We really wanted to try NOT to eat out everyday, We brought canned veggies with us. We also Brought hot dogs and canned soup. We figured we'd eat in our hotel room the first few nights then after eat out for dinner for a few night then hit a wal mart to restock. The problem was there was not always a place to stop and eat so it didn't work out very good. On our last night of the trip, We got to the hotel and discovered that the closest resteraunt was 30 minutes away!! There was a Gas station next store but nothing more than junk, we already had, so for dinner my kids had pop tarts green beans apples and chips. So anyway long story short I am looking for ideas of dinners that can go in a cooler or food bin and can be easily microwaved and dont require alot of dishes......... Any Suggestions??  sanwiches is lunch so it won't work for dinner. Also my 5 year old hates hot dogs now.... Need Ideas.....

by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 10:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
OliviasMommy611
by on Mar. 9, 2013 at 11:33 PM
No help bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momamanda
by Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 8:22 AM

Haha Thanks. I have a feeling this isn't going to work out to well. It's a toughy!

Quoting OliviasMommy611:

No help bump

Janet
by Ruby Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 9:39 AM
I can't help you either. I can't believe you're traveling lthat far with all your kids! That would seem hard to do.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Janet
by Ruby Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 9:39 AM
I can't help you either. I can't believe you're traveling lthat far with all your kids! That would seem hard to do.
momamanda
by Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 9:52 AM

They are good travelers.  2 years ago they were 3,5,7. Now they are 5,7,9. It was a challenge and there were some tough moments but at the same time there so many great and wonderful moments. It's a great experience! It's so cool to see so many different landscapes. Here in the east everything is so populated. every exit is full of gas stations and such but when you head west it's all different. By time we made it through Kansas I was so sick of seeing COWS lol. Then driving through the mountains of Colorado was just amazing! So while it is challenging it's Awesome too. Now I will add that it is not my ideal summer Vacation and if DH didn't want to go I would not insist on going at all! I am looking forward to it though.

Quoting Janet:

MJP76
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 2:29 PM

Part of traveling for us is eating out (NOT fast food)  a lot of our travels include a road trip, so what I typically do when mapping out our trip is to figure out what city will will be in for lunch or for dinner, and then google restraunts (usually 5 star, which are typically healthy) to find where we want to go. We don't really pack food, we take drinks for the road and that's about it.

momamanda
by Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 3:46 PM

I agree if we were only going to be on the road for 3 or 4 days. It wouldn't be a problem to eat dinner out for that long but it is 7 or 8 days.

Quoting MJP76:

Part of traveling for us is eating out (NOT fast food)  a lot of our travels include a road trip, so what I typically do when mapping out our trip is to figure out what city will will be in for lunch or for dinner, and then google restraunts (usually 5 star, which are typically healthy) to find where we want to go. We don't really pack food, we take drinks for the road and that's about it.

MJP76
by on Mar. 10, 2013 at 3:56 PM

Our longest road trip was 20 days. But that's just the way we do thing. We like to reserve money for fine dining. 

Quoting momamanda:

I agree if we were only going to be on the road for 3 or 4 days. It wouldn't be a problem to eat dinner out for that long but it is 7 or 8 days.

Quoting MJP76:

Janet
by Ruby Member on Mar. 10, 2013 at 4:59 PM
That's great. I hope you have a wonderful vacation!

Quoting momamanda:

They are good travelers.  2 years ago they were 3,5,7. Now they are 5,7,9. It was a challenge and there were some tough moments but at the same time there so many great and wonderful moments. It's a great experience! It's so cool to see so many different landscapes. Here in the east everything is so populated. every exit is full of gas stations and such but when you head west it's all different. By time we made it through Kansas I was so sick of seeing COWS lol. Then driving through the mountains of Colorado was just amazing! So while it is challenging it's Awesome too. Now I will add that it is not my ideal summer Vacation and if DH didn't want to go I would not insist on going at all! I am looking forward to it though.

Quoting Janet:

OliviasMommy611
by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 4:19 AM
That's a lot of driving!

Quoting MJP76:

Our longest road trip was 20 days. But that's just the way we do thing. We like to reserve money for fine dining. 

Quoting momamanda:

Quoting MJP76:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)