Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

I seen someone, I think here, that says they eat only fresh. ( I think it was here. )

If so, what is your menu if you wouldn't mind sharing?

by on Mar. 11, 2013 at 6:45 PM
Replies (11-20):
splatz
by Sarah on Mar. 11, 2013 at 10:13 PM
I would love to see menus as well. I would love more ideas on cutting out processed foods.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Basherte
by Bronze Member on Mar. 12, 2013 at 7:45 AM

What is bone broth? Is it any different than stock?

Quoting SlapItHigh:

I'm not a big planner so I don't have any menus to share. I just wing it, lol. We really don't have salad that often. For sides we usually things like steamed/grilled/sautéed veggies, lentils, beans, quinoa and/or fruit. Some family fav meals are braised beef with diced sautéed sweet potatoes and kale cooked with lots of fresh garlic. I toast a whole organic chicken at least once a week. After dinner I use the carcass to make bone broth which is super healthy. I use that I add flavor to other foods/sides and also to make soup which we like to have about once a week as well. My current fav is smokey chicken chili but also a big fan of butternut squash soup. We also like to marinate chicken thighs and then grill a bunch at once so we can freeze it and then pull it out for quick dinners. I'll thaw it and then crisp it up on the stove and serve with herbed chickpeas and fresh cut pineapple.

We live on the easy coast and tend to have a solid four seasons but I grow veggies year round. I have a really good book that teaches how to grow year round in any climate.

Quoting MichelleMc:

I guess most people trying to start is just like, what do you have for sides. I mean salads everyday can't be it. So what else do you do? I had to look up what pic de gallo was, LOL. Wanted more of an idea of a better planning, how to start, more ideas of what can you eat. Does anyone meal plan that could give more ideas or help someone start. 

I want to start a nice side garden this year, but then only a few decent months for that, so then what? Do you can? Or live in a better climate?

Thanks for the answers. That is a great start :)

Quoting SlapItHigh:

We eat healthy food, rarely anything processed. We don't do all raw though. Tonight we had salad for dinner. A bed I romaine, black beans, pic de gallo and grilled chicken. We grow a lot o our own fruits and veggies. Got a share in a grass fed steer, get our eggs from a friend with hens, etc.

Quoting MichelleMc:

Quoting SlapItHigh:

Are you talking about raw foodists? Or what do you mean by "fresh"?

I don't know much about it. I for sure don't know the terms, like raw foodists? But I guess unprocessed, "goes bad" type, Healthier ways foods. 

wedding countdown

OliviasMommy611
by on Mar. 12, 2013 at 8:18 AM
I eat as healthy as possible. Fresh, whole foods. Avoid processed food and drink lots of water! The more simple the ingredient list the better!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Pammi86
by Pamela on Mar. 12, 2013 at 10:58 AM

I would try looking up some groups on here! I am sure there is one about this!

delanna6two
HAPPY FALL!!!
Today at 2:51 PM
by Platinum Member on Mar. 12, 2013 at 12:46 PM

interested to see that too:)

MJP76
by on Mar. 12, 2013 at 1:13 PM

I plan, but cooking fresh really has nothing to do with planning a meal. Plan whatever meal you'd like and make smarter choices. So like instead of making mashed potatoes out of the box, buy the potatoes, and make them yourself. Although, I will suggest that frozen veggies, are sometimes better because they last longer, fresh veggies are good too I'd you're going to use them within the week. But most frozen veggies are flash frozen so they preserve nutrients better.  Buy your meat from the counter rather than frozen, buy organic when you can. Except for veggies, stay away from the frozen food section. Make your own bread. If you stick to shopping the perimeter of the store, that is where the "fresh foods are" once you start getting into the center isles, is where the processed foods are.

you want pizza? Make it yourself. You want lasagna? Don't buy frozen, make it yourself. It's just about smarter choices. 

Quoting MichelleMc:

I guess most people trying to start is just like, what do you have for sides. I mean salads everyday can't be it. So what else do you do? I had to look up what pic de gallo was, LOL. Wanted more of an idea of a better planning, how to start, more ideas of what can you eat. Does anyone meal plan that could give more ideas or help someone start. 

I want to start a nice side garden this year, but then only a few decent months for that, so then what? Do you can? Or live in a better climate?

Thanks for the answers. That is a great start :)

Quoting SlapItHigh:

We eat healthy food, rarely anything processed. We don't do all raw though. Tonight we had salad for dinner. A bed I romaine, black beans, pic de gallo and grilled chicken. We grow a lot o our own fruits and veggies. Got a share in a grass fed steer, get our eggs from a friend with hens, etc.

Quoting MichelleMc:

Quoting SlapItHigh:

Are you talking about raw foodists? Or what do you mean by "fresh"?

I don't know much about it. I for sure don't know the terms, like raw foodists? But I guess unprocessed, "goes bad" type, Healthier ways foods. 

preacherskid
by Member on Mar. 12, 2013 at 1:28 PM

I do a lot of scratch cooking due to food allergies.

egg/dairy free cake

Cooking Time: 30-45 minutes (for cake)

Ingredients

3-4 cups flour

2 cups sugar 

2 tsp baking soda

2 1/2 tsp baking powder

1/2 tsp salt

2/3 cup oil (light flavored)

2 cups water

2 tbsp white vinegar

1 tbsp vanilla

Cooking Instructions

Combine dry, wet, beat together until smooth.  Pour into greased pan or cupcake liners.  Bake at 350 for 30-45 minutes *depending on size may be longer- cupcakes take about 20 minutes, a full 9x13 pan about 45 minutes- done in center of course :)

Variations:

Chocolate: decrease flour to 3 cups, add 8 tbsp of cocoa powder, use 1 cup white sugar and 1 cup brown sugar- good with coarse salt sprinkled on top

Spice: use apple cider vinegar in place of white, 1 tsp each of cinnamon & nutmeg, 1/2 tsp each of cloves, allspice, and ginger

Citrus: 2 cups orange, lemon, or lime juice instead of water, 2 tsp citrus zest

Pasta sauce- basic

Ingredients

1 large can crushed tomatoes

2 cans diced tomatoes

1 red pepper

1 green pepper

1/2 yellow onion

1 clove garlic

Salt, pepper, oregano, marjoram, bay leaves

3 carrots, chopped

1 zucchini, grated

3-4 cups spinach

1 cup vegetable broth or stock

Cooking Instructions

Sauté or roast vegetables.  Add tomatoes, spices and vegetable broth.  Simmer twenty minutes.    Add spinach.  Cool and puree.  To serve, heat on medium for about ten minutes, add olive oil, serve with pasta of choice.  Can be altered by adding or substituting different vegetables, herbs, etc that you have on hand. 

Chicken and Veg noodle soup

Ingredients

2 carrots

1/2 onion

1/2 green pepper

1/2 red pepper

2 ears corn

2 strips bacon

1 cup chopped cooked chicken

Salt, pepper, thyme, curry, oregano, bay leaf, marjoram, caraway seed to taste

Cooking Instructions

Sauté bacon until crisp.  Remove and cook veg in rendered fat until soft.  Add spices and chicken, then 3 cups water.  Bring to a boil and add uncooked noodles of choice.  Serve when noodles are cooked.

Sweet Potato Muffins

Ingredients

3 cups sugar

1 cup oil

4 eggs

1 cup wheat flour

2 1/3 cups white flour

2 tsp baking soda

1 1/2 tsp salt

1 tsp cinnamon

1/2 tsp ginger

1/2 tsp cloves

2/3 cup water

3 sm/med sweet potatoes,  roasted

1/2-1 banana mashed

Cooking Instructions

Mash sweet potatoes with banana. Combine sugar, oil, and eggs.  Combine dry ingredients.  Combine sugar mixture, dry mixture, water, and sweet potato mixture.  Drop into muffin cups and bake at 350 for 35 minutes.

Jamie Oliver Pasta Sauce

Ingredients

2 small onions, chopped

2 red peppers, chopped

2 zucchinis, grated

2 carrots, grated

1 tbsp olive oil

Oregano, bay leaves

1 small butternut squash, grated or cubed

4 cans diced tomatoes

1 bulb roasted garlic

2 cups water

Salt and pepper to taste

Cooking Instructions

Sauté onions, peppers, zucchinis, and carrots in oil with oregano and bay leaves.  Cook for about twenty minutes, add squash, tomatoes, garlic, water, and salt and pepper.  Simmer for about thirty minutes or until squash is tender if cubed instead of grated.  Cool, then puree.  Makes about 13 cups. 

CafeMom Tickers
preacherskid
by Member on Mar. 12, 2013 at 1:29 PM

Part two:

Applesauce cake

Ingredients

1 1/2 cup flour

2 eggs

1 tsp salt

1/4 tsp cloves

1 cup sugar

1 cup chopped pecans

1 cup applesauce

1 tsp baking soda

1 tsp cinnamon

1/2 cup shortening (crisco is dairy free)

1 cup raisins

1 tbsp flour

Cooking Instructions

Mix all ingredients and bake in greased pan at 350 until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.

Granny's Meat Loaf

Ingredients

1 1/2 lbs beef

3/4 cup oatmeal

1/4 cup chopped onions

1 1/2 tsp salt

1 cup tomato juice

1 egg, beaten

1/4 tsp pepper

Cooking Instructions

Mix all ingredients and put in loaf pan.  Bake at 350 for 1 hr 15 minutes.  * I always liked it topped with ketchup when served :)

Dinner Rolls 

Ingredients

2 pkg dry yeast

1 stick melted oleo/crisco

1/3 cup sugar

2 cups warm water

1 egg

1/2 tsp salt

6 cups flour

Cooking Instructions

Mix together melted oleo, salt, sugar, egg, warm water.  Sprinkle yeast on top and let stand until it dissolves.  Stir.  Using an electric mixer mix in four cups flour slowly.  Pour remaining flour onto counter or kneading board.  Make a well in center and pour dough mixture into well. Knead until smooth.  Cover with towel and let rise at least twenty minutes. Make into 24-30 rolls and either freeze for later or put into 9x13 greased pan.  Let rise at least twenty minutes more (if frozen, allow time for rolls to rise double before baking). Bake at 375 for twenty minutes or until tops are browned.

*To rise quickly, simmer about 1/2-1 cup water in a large pan on low heat, and set the roll pan on top.

Basic Bread

Ingredients

3 cups flour

1 1/2 tsp salt

1 tsp sugar

1/4 cup crisco butter flavor

1 pkg active dry yeast

1/2 cup soymilk

1/2 cup water

*you can do all water

Cooking Instructions

Warm soymilk, water, and sugar.  Remove from heat and proof yeast for about ten to fifteen minutes. Combine 1 1/2 cups flour, salt, and butter.  Add proofed yeast and mix well.  Slowly add as much remaining flour to make a soft dough.  Knead in the rest of the flour on a board until elasticity, then rest ten minutes.  Roll dough into a rectangle, roll up, and place seam side down in greased loaf pan.  Let rise in warm area for one hour, bake at 375 for thirty minutes.

Oatmeal Muffins

Ingredients

1 1/3 cups flour

3/4 cup oatmeal

1/3 cup sugar

2tsp baking powder

1/4 tsp salt

1 egg

3/4 cup soymilk or milk substitute

1/4 cup cooking oil

Cooking Instructions

Preheat oven to 400.  Grease or line muffin pan.  Combine dry ingredients.  Combine wet in separate bowl and stir into dry until all moist.  Fill cups 2/3 full.  Bake 18-20 minutes.

Fruit additions: 

3/4 cup blueberries & 1 tsp lemon peel

3/4 cup chopped cranberries & 1 tsp orange peel

3/4 cup diced apple & 1 tsp cinnamon

Plum Teriyaki Chicken

Ingredients

1-2 plums, diced

1/4 cup teriyaki sauce

1/8 tsp each:

Ginger

Allspice

CafeMom Tickers
preacherskid
by Member on Mar. 12, 2013 at 1:39 PM

You can use regular cows milk in any of those recipes.  Those are some of my favorite recipes.  Some more from one of my BHG cook books, you should be able to look the recipes up at www.bhg.com: 

philly sandwiches

minestrone soup

beef and bean tacos

asparagus fritters

potato fritatta

bacon and egg muffins

overnight cinnamon loaf

chicken, tomato, and cucumber salald

skillet corn griddle cakes

stacked vegetable salad

swiss steaks

salmon patties

spinach omelet

kaleidoscope potato salad

spanish rice

blackened beef stir fry

French dip sandwiches

lemon chicken pasta toss

chicken cacciatore

barley beef soup

When one of the recipes calls for a packaged item like stock or red sauce, I have my home made on hand- started making that from scratch when my odd started reacting to nearly every jarred sauce.

preacherskid
by Member on Mar. 12, 2013 at 1:42 PM

Oh and I work full time and go to school online- if I can do this, anyone can.  I do skip making bread lately, and instead look for a brand that has a very short ingredient list that does not contain dairy or honey (two major allergens in the house).  It is also fairly budget friendly- the most I spend on groceries is maybe 400 for a family of four for a month, and that is if I am out of my staples like flour, salt, etc.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)