Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

UPDATED WITH VIDEO: How do you choose the right detergent for your family’s clothes?

Posted by   + Show Post

We gave moms Tide Free & Gentle Detergent and asked them to wash their family's clothes with it. Take a look at this fun video momtage that highlights some of our influencer's stories. Then,  tell us how you choose the right detergent for your family's clothes.

Be sure to click here to save 20%* on your first order at soap.com. 
Enter Code: CAFEMOM20

*Max discount $20. Expires 7/31/13. New Soap.com customers only. Offer cannot be combined with other new buyer offers, sales, and close-out items. Offer subject to change or cancellation. Excludes Clarisonic.

CafeMom recruited a large panel of our members, broadly representative of American Moms. Each panelist received one of 4 P&G products along with an experiential assignment suggesting ways to use it. We asked these panelists whether they agreed with this seal's claim, and awarded a seal if 75% or more of the panelists agreed with the claim and we received more than 250 responses. CafeMom gives moms an opportunity to try our advertisers' products. In return, we ask our moms to share their true experiences and honest opinions. To learn how you can be an influencer, click here. 
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:17 AM
Replies (31-40):
twinners.mama
by Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:17 AM

Well we have twin girls, so we have quite a bit of laundry!  When choosing detergent to use on their clothes I always chose something dye and scent free!  Something that worked along the lines of a little goes a long way helped out A LOT too!  I haven't recieved my sample yet, but when I do I'll be back!!!

happy

Desirees_mom

I Received the Detergent today, and will be looking to do the laundry tomorrow and the following day.  Typically I do an average of 3-8 loads of laundry a week, we use one detergent for the whole family. I will be back after I do laundry to talk about what we think. 

SlepinBeautyMom

Hello everyone! My name is Shannon. I have 2 beautiful girls. Aurora who is 5 and Ashlyn who is 14 months. I also found out that we are expecting our 3rd on October 4th in February.

I haven't bought store detergent in about a year. I make my own! Well, I buy special detergent for my cloth diapers :)

My family has sensitive skin, which is why I started to make my own because I could control what goes into it and still get everything clean. I will not be changing the detergent in my diapers though because I really don't want to strip them more than necessary.

I also do anywhere from one to two loads of regular laundry every other day and diapers every day. I do not like them to sit!

My sample has not arrived yet, but I cannot wait to update on when I do.

It came!

My Youngest decided to model it for all of you lovely ladies! It took me about a day, but I was able to finally get it open and my one year old no longer interest in the pretty white bottle. Now I have to say this...I had to bust out the scissors to get this baby open! There was no perforated side to get it open and I have to say, not so cool.

Anyways, I decide I was gonna put this detergent through the ringer! Not only did I try it on my daughters' clothes, but some of my delicate clothing *Calvin Klien Sweater*, a heavy mink blanet that takes a long time to get clean, and line drying. Lets face it, some detergents attract little bugs to your clothes outside if they smell too good!  I am going to show you some of the before pics with the description of what is on it!

This is a sweater I love! But my clumsy self got red slushie all over it at the movie theaters!

This is one of my 5 year old's, Aurora, favorite dresses. She played outside in it, so it is very dirty with spaghetti sauce stains!

This is one of my Youngest shirts. Ashlyn is only 14 months so is always getting her clothes dirty!

When I finally go the bottle open, it had a very chemical like smell. It is hard to describe, so I actually wasn't too sure I wanted to use it. I gave it a go anyways. I used the recommended amount and watched my machine go! When the was was done, I was weird. I decided to give the wet clothes a sniff. They smelled like...Nothing. LOL I was glad they didn't smell like the chemicals though.

I threw the load in the dryer and just decided to leave the dryer sheet out this one time to see what it would be like without them. The clothes came out normal. Not soft or hard, but not like if I had put a dryer sheet in.

But the good things to fallow when I folded my clothes :)

This is my sweater! No Stain!!

Aurora's dress...Perfection!

Ashlyn's shirt....clean!

Next came the big challenge! My huge mink blanket my mom got me when I was younger. I am Always cold and this blanket is Heavy and warm. It is about 5-7 pounds dry!

I did not take pictures of this, but It still took two washes to get clean. My homemade soap does it in one :( Sadly, Tide failed that test :(

The final test....LINE DRYING! I dry my clothes outside a lot when it is nice... it saves on energy and keeps the house cool in summer. Plus the smell of the clothes after....amazing! Tide attracted no bugs...which is nice...and may be awesome in the summer when the bees are out!

Now to the all important questions.

How was it on my daughters' and my skin....it was great...no better or worse than the one I make at home.

How did the clothes smell & feel...they didn't smell at all. This kinda tripped me out at first because I am so used to a citrus smell from my detergent. They felt ok after I dried them too, but not as soft as it would have been if I put my softener and dryer sheet in.

Would I reccomend it....sure, but it has to be what the parent is looking for. I will always recommend making it if you are able. But if you are sensitive to borax or don't have the time. I just might. On the other hand, if you didn't need the free and clear, I would suggest finding a detergent that does the same amount of cleaning but in a better price range.

Would I use soap.com....maybe. I will have to look at what they have and compare prices. I do use some store bought cleaning supplies but not much.

I hope you enjoied my opinion!

birdiemom
My family is full of people with sensitive skin! We have been using a hypoallergenic detergent for years. I've done two loads of laundry so far with the Tide free and gentle. A load of my husbands hard to clean laundry and a load of my laundry. I was pleased with the Tide, my husbands clothes were clean and fresh, and there was no deodorant residue left on my shirts.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MumsTheWord571
by Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:17 AM
I can't wait to get my sample in the mail! I usually do between 6-10 loads of laundry a week depending on what's going on that week. I normally use Tide pods. I love the ease of those. No measuring, no guessing. Just toss it in and go. My husband can't even mess that up! (Haha).

I don't normally separate out the laundry by who's stuff it is. I do very darks, darks, colors, towels and whites/sheets. I wash everything except towels sheets and whites on cold.

I'm wondering if changing to the free & clear will help with my sons skin. For he gets dry "chicken skin" spots on his arms that the doc says is an irritation and not an allergy or anything. It doesn't bother him in any way, but it's just strange. I'll give it a go and see if it helps!

meagn3388
I just received my detergent. I will be doing my dd's laundry tomorrow and will let everyone know how it works. I usually do laundry 1-2 times a week. My dd and I both have sensitive skin so it's important when choosing a detergent that it is formulated for sensitive skin and is free of any perfumes or dyes. I'm really excited to try this detergent and I hope it works out well for both of us!
SuzannaLia

I use tide exclusively and have for years. I actually have used the Free and Gentle for at least a year now. I've never used "baby" detergent because it's so outrageously over priced. I'm the mother to 3 boys and all have had bouts of eczema starting at around 3 months old. My youngest actually just started showing signs at 14 months (thought he was in the clear!) 
I use the free and gentle because it doesn't irritate my children's skin and it doesn't leave a residue on their clothes. I use less than the recommended amount though. About 1/3 of what they recommend per load, so the bottle actually goes a loooong way, and the clothes come out just as clean! I don't use it on towels and sheets though, and the only reason being that there is no scent, and I like my towels and sheets to smell fruity/springy! LOL. Some people don't so if you just like the "natural" clean scent for those items then Free and Gentle is perfect for you!
I don't purchase this item on soap.com only because I have the privelege of shopping at the commissary and it's cheaper there, but I have used soap.com to make other purchases, including their sister sites!
I would DEFINITELY recommend Free and Gentle to mom's and people in general who have sensitive skin or prefer detergent without added dyes and perfumes.  

teacher312

Got my Tide the other day and have already used it for about 8 loads.  I love that it is unscented completely.  I have allergies and can smell most smells on detergent.  If I wash with them, I can't wear the clothes.  I use this for all of our household washing, except my cloth diapers.  I like this detergent and will buy it if I can get good coupons for it.

Elaine

Stop Telling God How big your storm is. Instead, tell the storm how big your God Is!

Susy5353
by New Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:17 AM
Just received my tide today :) yey I usually do Olivias laundry every 2 weeks I am blessed to have tons of clothes for her for that long its my firt baby and my moms first grandaughter so she's spoiling her rotten. Olivia doesn't seem to have sensitive skin but I rather use dye and perfume free just in case
Bitemebetty
I received my tide yesterday and will be using it tomorrow. I had just finished the laundry by the time it arrived. I am a ftm and thought I had to use dredr but I am so excited I can use free and clear and it works. My son is prone to hives so I am careful what products I use. We do baby laundry about two times a week, sometimes more since he teething and eating solids now and things get dirty fast. I also love if I need to with this I can wash our clothes together. With dredt for the price I always felt it is just for baby.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)