Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

UPDATED WITH VIDEO: How do you choose the right detergent for your family’s clothes?

Posted by   + Show Post

We gave moms Tide Free & Gentle Detergent and asked them to wash their family's clothes with it. Take a look at this fun video momtage that highlights some of our influencer's stories. Then,  tell us how you choose the right detergent for your family's clothes.

Be sure to click here to save 20%* on your first order at soap.com. 
Enter Code: CAFEMOM20

*Max discount $20. Expires 7/31/13. New Soap.com customers only. Offer cannot be combined with other new buyer offers, sales, and close-out items. Offer subject to change or cancellation. Excludes Clarisonic.

CafeMom recruited a large panel of our members, broadly representative of American Moms. Each panelist received one of 4 P&G products along with an experiential assignment suggesting ways to use it. We asked these panelists whether they agreed with this seal's claim, and awarded a seal if 75% or more of the panelists agreed with the claim and we received more than 250 responses. CafeMom gives moms an opportunity to try our advertisers' products. In return, we ask our moms to share their true experiences and honest opinions. To learn how you can be an influencer, click here. 
by on Apr. 9, 2013 at 10:17 AM
Replies (341-350):
goddess99
by Michelle on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:08 AM
1 mom liked this

I only use free and clear detergents. We all have sensitive skin.

goddess99
by Michelle on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:09 AM
1 mom liked this

My mom did too.

Quoting delanna6two:

Tide is a good product....my mother used this brand when I was growing up.

delanna6two
by Platinum Member on Apr. 9, 2013 at 11:27 AM
1 mom liked this

I used some free clear detergent at one time....I liked it.

Quoting goddess99:

I only use free and clear detergents. We all have sensitive skin.

ELnEMsMommy
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 8:22 AM

I do an average of 4 loads a week for our family of 2 adults, 4 kids (ages 9, 7, 4, and 2) and 2 dogs.  The loads are not separated by adult/child.  They are sorted by lights, darks, red tones, and linens.  We have well water that goes through a softener, but I still worry about odor so I usually buy a scented detergent.  None of the kids have sensitive skin, but I do.  I choose detergents by what I know does not bother me, price (incl. sales and coupons), and effectiveness.  My favorite is Tide, but it's not always what I buy due to the cost.  I often stock up when there are sales that I can match coupons to.

I've used the Tide Free and Gentle on 3 loads so far.  It has gotten the clothes clean (as is why I favor Tide) and they smell fresh--no hint of well water at all.  I also like that there is no scent to compete with the fabric softener I use in the dryer.  I actually like it so much that I already bought another bottle--it was on sale at Kroger and I had a coupon.  I could have chosen any Tide, but I decided to purchase this specific one. 

I'm not sure that I would order from detergent online.  It would all depend on price and if it was cheaper than in store.

larschick
by Member on Apr. 10, 2013 at 1:06 PM
We chose ours by trial & error. Tide free & clear seems to work well for te kids in our family who have eczema.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MJP76
by on Apr. 10, 2013 at 8:07 PM

I use organic safe for Eco friendly washer detergent. Mainly because I have sensitive skin, secondly so I don't ruin my washer..

sonnyswoman75
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 7:59 PM

I prefer Purex becuase anything else makes me break out

LOVES67
by on Apr. 11, 2013 at 10:22 PM
I have use the tide and I loved it, did all my laundry and the clothes came out perfect. Thanks cafemom team.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Bloom4ever
by on Apr. 12, 2013 at 1:20 AM

I go dye/perfume free...can't use Tide at all my oldest reacts...

usually for me it's whatever my oldest doesn't react to and if I can't find that soap anywhere then I grab the purest soap (meaning no dye/perfume) possible and "Test it" on *A* article of her clothing...if she reacts I give it to my Mom to use up and find another...I have 3 types of soap I can use on my oldest...2 are homemade...

MansfieldMama
by on Apr. 12, 2013 at 9:25 AM

I make my own.  It is soooo much cheaper, and gets my clothes cleaner than store bought detergent (even with coupons).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN