Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

is this as bad as MIL says it is?

Posted by on Mar. 12, 2013 at 6:33 PM
  • 46 Replies
I'm not a morning person, DH is not a morning person. I have a seriously hard time waking up in the mornings with the kids. We have twin two yr olds and a 9 month old. They all sleep in the room across from us. In the mornings, the baby will wake me up by crying around 6 am, I stumble across the hall and take him back to our room to nurse him. Then I put him back and he goes back to sleep.
The twins wake in the 7 o'clock hour, it varies. What we have done is set up a baby gate in our bedroom doorway, and at the end of the hall. When they wake I give them a bottle of milk, they take it and go lay in their room for a bit. Then they go to the next room and play with their toys or read or whatever. It's their playroom. We sleep until about 9, when i take a glance at the clock and say crap honey we need to get up! So they are in a baby proofed, child appropriate environment for an hour and a half? Alone. My alarm is set for 7:30 though!!!!!
Now, I've looked Online, trying to get some tricks or find motivation to wake up EARLIER than them. But it never happens, my mental approach is "they are fine, i need to sleep, I'm exhausted." My MIL made me feel like a loser and a terrible mom because I can't wake up. I've never reminded her that she had the energy to be "supermom" because she did drugs. DH and i don't drink, smoke or do drugs. Except caffeine. Lots of coffee. Some articles recommend what we already do for moms of super early risers.

So, is this ok? Or what can we do? Help :(
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 12, 2013 at 6:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
goddess99
by Michelle on Mar. 12, 2013 at 6:47 PM

At 2 years old, I let my dd play in her room while I slept but the way our house is set up, that's the only place she could go.

NiCo86
by on Mar. 12, 2013 at 6:49 PM
2 moms liked this

why not simply go to bed earlier??

GremlinMom
by Member on Mar. 12, 2013 at 6:51 PM
Because its not simple.

Quoting NiCo86:

kbutton24
by Member on Mar. 12, 2013 at 6:52 PM
Have you tried a multivitamin? I never had energy and couldn't function without about 10 hrs of sleep until I started taking one.
rhiannonaisling
by Member on Mar. 12, 2013 at 7:10 PM
1 mom liked this

I would say check your diet and add a multivitamin and drink a little less coffee and more water (especially at night) may help with your energy level...but I see no problem with this if you are able to wake instantly if they start crying and if they are in a babyproofed area...but it won't be safe for long if they are climbers (since they will be able to get over the gate).

If you feel badly, even if just because of what your mil said, you could check with your doctor and see what he might recommend.

mama.bear22
by on Mar. 12, 2013 at 7:21 PM

I work, so I'm already up in the mornings on the weekdays before my 3 year old. But, on the weekends I like to sleep in since I'm up super early every other day. My SO and I sleep in until about 9 am ans she is an early riser about 6-7 am usually. She just plays in her room until we get up. Our rooms are right next to each other and we have the hall blocked with a baby gate and she can't go farther then her bathroom. I don't think there is anything wrong with letting her play with her toys while we get some extra sleep to be energized to do fun things throughout the day.

NiCo86
by on Mar. 12, 2013 at 7:21 PM

LOL Why not?

Quoting GremlinMom:

Because its not simple.

Quoting NiCo86:

DazeDelights
by on Mar. 12, 2013 at 7:23 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes it's bad. There are too many what ifs that could happen. If something horrible happened and the law had to be involved what will be your defense? I'm not a morning person?
Nikaniko
by on Mar. 12, 2013 at 7:27 PM
Maybe see has trouble falling asleep? Idk but my DH has trouble falling asleep every so often and if he goes to sleep too early he will literally wake up at like 2 or 3 am and can't go back to sleep.

Quoting NiCo86:

LOL Why not?

Quoting GremlinMom:

Because its not simple.

Quoting NiCo86:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Janet
by Ruby Member on Mar. 12, 2013 at 7:28 PM
3 moms liked this
You are going to have to make yourself get up soon. They are getting older and will be able to get over that gate. They could hurt themselves and you would be responsible.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)