Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Should I be able to take the stuff I get from the baby shower home? ADVICE PLEASE!

My name is Samantha, and I am sixteen years old. I am currently 31 weeks, and five days pregnant with a boy. I am still currently with the father who is 19. We have been together for three years now. When the baby comes I want my son to stay with me for at least the first few months. I will be breastfeeding. The father has a job and only gets one day off a week. I told him he can come stay for that day with us, or if my parents let me then I will go with Zander to his house for the day. But my parents seem to have come very protective of me lately, and I doubt I will be able to go there much. He lives an hour and a half away. Anyway his mother is throwing me a shower on April 29th for her side of the family. She said that she is going to keep everything I get at her house, so when we go there we will have it. I am fine with a few things going over there. That way we don't have to haul everything, but not everything. I doubt I will be staying there for more then two days out of the first three months, just because my parents.. Advice?

CafeMom Tickers
by on Mar. 16, 2013 at 10:38 PM
Replies (11-20):
Shaybay218
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 3:40 PM

I agree...

Quoting MistressMinerva:

I would take all the stuff home with you. There is no need for her to keep it. It's not her baby. I would talk with your parents about this as well.

shortyali
by Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 3:58 PM
I would only leave there the big things that you already have. For example, if you already have a crib and/or pack n play, leave those there but if you don't have something at your house and get it at her house take it with you.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
thatgirl70
by Bronze Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 6:04 PM
1 mom liked this

Definitely take the stuff home with you. She doesn't need it, you do. If she wants stuff to keep at her house, then she could get extras.

Mrs.Bolin
by Gold Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 6:08 PM

The stuff should stay where you are living at most of the time.(your house) If you are going to the fathers house, only take what you think is convienient. And you will know when baby comes. It would be nice if the father could pick up a few things on his own for his place. She cant keep everything. It all belongs to you and she has no right.

Janet
by Ruby Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 9:11 PM
I would have a talk with her or have your parents do it.IIt's not fair what she is trying to do.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Threes.Company
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 9:16 PM
1 mom liked this

That's really inappropriate of her to tell YOU what SHE is going to do with YOUR gifts.  Wow.  The gifts are for the baby, not for her.  That's ridiculous.  If she wants to keep a  few toys or some general gear at her home, that's fine.  But if you NEED the items for the baby, she needs to back down and let your baby have his stuff.  She would want him to be without just so that during a once-a-week visit, she has stuff there?  That's stupid.

I agree with the others.  Something does not sound right about this arrangement.  I hope she is not going to encourage her son to fight you for custody or something...

Basherte
by Bronze Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 8:21 AM

Take care. Be careful. 

Talk to your parents about this. Find out if you are going to have a baby shower with your side of the family and friends. 

Quoting Threes.Company:

That's really inappropriate of her to tell YOU what SHE is going to do with YOUR gifts.  Wow.  The gifts are for the baby, not for her.  That's ridiculous.  If she wants to keep a  few toys or some general gear at her home, that's fine.  But if you NEED the items for the baby, she needs to back down and let your baby have his stuff.  She would want him to be without just so that during a once-a-week visit, she has stuff there?  That's stupid.

I agree with the others.  Something does not sound right about this arrangement.  I hope she is not going to encourage her son to fight you for custody or something...

CafeMom Tickers
Diane1223
by Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 10:00 PM

I think that everything that you get from the baby shower should come to your house, where you will be the majority of the time with your baby :)

delanna6two
by Platinum Member on Mar. 19, 2013 at 2:05 PM

The gifts should be yours if the shower is for you....

splatz
by Sarah on Mar. 19, 2013 at 2:53 PM
1 mom liked this

If she is going to be like that I would just tell her forget about the shower. If the family wants to throw a shower for the father then so be it. But, there is no need for you to be there if YOU won't be using any of the items for the baby.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN