Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Sippy cup, regular cup or straw cup?

Posted by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 11:34 AM
  • 19 Replies
My son is 13 months.. I'm still bf and he eats 3 meals and 1-2 snacks a day.
I've been reading up on sippy cups, cups and cups with straws. They say you should stop sippy cup use and transition them to regular cups or cups with straws between 12 and 15 months due to dental issues. What have you moms done? He rarely uses a sippy cup and gets most of his liquid intake from bf. He has water from a sippy cup typically during meals or if he's hot outside and he's been outside a lot.
If you did transition your babies from sippy to regular or straw cups, how did you do it? Should I even be worrying about this yet?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 11:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kss12
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 11:50 AM
Bump!
goddess99
by Michelle on Mar. 17, 2013 at 3:10 PM

I started offering my dd a small regular cup or straw cup just over a year. She liked it, never made a fuss about not having a sippy cup. Just try it, he might take to it really quickly.

kss12
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 4:43 PM
Obviously there's more of a choking hazard though no? That's what I'm nervous about.. Hubby and I are scared to death of choking ha!

Quoting goddess99:

I started offering my dd a small regular cup or straw cup just over a year. She liked it, never made a fuss about not having a sippy cup. Just try it, he might take to it really quickly.

goddess99
by Michelle on Mar. 17, 2013 at 4:50 PM

Do you mean, drinking so fast the LO chokes? I never had that problem. My dd never choked while drinking. Never even worried about that one.

Quoting kss12:

Obviously there's more of a choking hazard though no? That's what I'm nervous about.. Hubby and I are scared to death of choking ha!

Quoting goddess99:

kss12
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 5:37 PM
Yeah.. Sometimes even out of a sippy cup be chokes. He's good with foods and bf but has trouble with sippy cups with water etc.

Quoting goddess99:

Do you mean, drinking so fast the LO chokes? I never had that problem. My dd never choked while drinking. Never even worried about that one.

Quoting kss12:

Quoting goddess99:

Mrs.Bolin
by Gold Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 6:03 PM

My daughter has always been using a sippy since she was 3 yrs old. Nothing wrong with it and you dont have to stop so soon. She is 4 now and in preschool and started drinking from regular cups and straw cups over the summer and through this year. Do what you think is best for your baby

kss12
by on Mar. 17, 2013 at 6:08 PM
Is there anything wrong with her teeth? The articles I've read have been saying it does awful things to babies teeth.. Almost a disformed dental structure. And cavity problems.. Although my 13 month old only drinks water. But displacement of teeth was their biggest concern

Quoting Mrs.Bolin:

My daughter has always been using a sippy since she was 3 yrs old. Nothing wrong with it and you dont have to stop so soon. She is 4 now and in preschool and started drinking from regular cups and straw cups over the summer and through this year. Do what you think is best for your baby

Mrs.Bolin
by Gold Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 6:50 PM

nope her teeth are just fine. She was off the bottle by 14 months with no problems. The bottle was the main thing that i was worried about because they seem to suck more with a nipple than a sippy spout or straw. 

Quoting kss12:

Is there anything wrong with her teeth? The articles I've read have been saying it does awful things to babies teeth.. Almost a disformed dental structure. And cavity problems.. Although my 13 month old only drinks water. But displacement of teeth was their biggest concern

Quoting Mrs.Bolin:

Janet
by Ruby Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 9:52 PM
Sippy cup is still okay for now.
KW1280
by Member on Mar. 17, 2013 at 10:01 PM
My son is 13 months and uses a straw cup and a sippy cup. The sippy cup has a soft sippy part instead of hard plastic (if I am explaining it right). Just ask your family dentist and go from there
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)