Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Is this irresponsible or is it just me that thinks that?

Posted by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 8:47 AM
  • 18 Replies

So Nik Wallenda (yes from the flying Wallendas family for those who remember that) is going to walk across the Grand Canyon.  He is walking 1500 feet on a tight rope 1500 feet above the bottom of the canyon.  And he is doing this without a safety harness or net. 

The man has 3 kids so frankly I think risking your life in this way is irresponsible.  He is talented and well trained but that did not stop him from having some slip ups on previous stunts he has done.  One major slip and he is toast.  Am I crazy to think this is not a good idea?  I know that as parents, we do not automtically give up our dreams and goals but I also think that we do have to take our children into account if an action in our lives could lead to death.  This is not like being in the military and going off to war which is a necessary and honorable path for many.  This is just for showmanship or because he wants to.  What do you all think?

Wallenda to announce Grand Canyon walk

Updated: Monday, 18 Mar 2013, 7:29 AM EDT
Published : Monday, 18 Mar 2013, 7:29 AM EDT

BUFFALO, N.Y. (WIVB) - The daredevil who walked the tightrope across Niagara Falls is set to announce when he will attempt his next feat. Monday morning, Nik Wallenda will announce when he plans to walk across the Grand Canyon.

Unlike his Niagara Falls walk, he intends to not wear a safety harness this time. He was forced to wear one for the Niagara Falls walk, due to contractual obligations

by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 8:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
heatherann2
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 8:56 AM
That is crazy! Id never do that as a parent, but to each their own. How old are the kids?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Jennyanne322
by Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 8:59 AM
1 mom liked this
You just hope that he has a nice chunk for life insurance, if god forbid something happens. It's not a smart thing he is doing, but you can die anywhere at anytime. If it's your time to go, it's going to happen regardless.
VickyJoJo
by Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 9:39 AM

According to one site, they are 14, 11, and 9.  But the entry may be a year or two old. 

Quoting heatherann2:

That is crazy! Id never do that as a parent, but to each their own. How old are the kids?

VickyJoJo
by Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 9:41 AM

I'm not sure he can get life insurance with that kind of job unless he pays through the roof premiums.  And yes, if it is your time to go, then so be it.  I just don't think you need to hasten when your time to go is :-)

Quoting Jennyanne322:

You just hope that he has a nice chunk for life insurance, if god forbid something happens. It's not a smart thing he is doing, but you can die anywhere at anytime. If it's your time to go, it's going to happen regardless.

Jennyanne322
by Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 9:59 AM
Fireman, police officer, and soldiers get it without having sky high price tags. It shouldn't be that hard for this guy. It just may have specific clauses in the contract on how he dies to if they actually pay it out.

Quoting VickyJoJo:

I'm not sure he can get life insurance with that kind of job unless he pays through the roof premiums.  And yes, if it is your time to go, then so be it.  I just don't think you need to hasten when your time to go is :-)

Quoting Jennyanne322:

goddess99
by Michelle on Mar. 18, 2013 at 10:14 AM
1 mom liked this

I think it's foolish.

SlapItHigh
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 10:16 AM
Terrible idea.
Janet
by Ruby Member on Mar. 18, 2013 at 11:15 AM
1 mom liked this
No value for life.
DazeDelights
by on Mar. 18, 2013 at 2:04 PM
I'm sure his family will be well taken care of if he dies. Hell he may be a bastard so that slip up may make them happy lol
auntangelofsix
by Angel on Mar. 18, 2013 at 11:30 PM
I would never do this..he is nuts and a fool to do.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)