Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

potty training

Posted by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 10:55 PM
  • 19 Replies
Definitely a trial of patience. My son is a little over 2.5 yrs. He knows his alphabet, numbers, colors, shapes, and is starting to read simple sentences but he refuses to use the potty! He can holds it for up to 10hrs at night and 8hrs through the day. Hence the reason i backed off potty training because he did this for a wk and i didn't want it to lead to any health issues. He can start and stop his pee, and considering he can hold it he can control it. He will sit on the potty but will wait until he gets in a diaper to p. At daycare they are not consistent and during the wk i only have him for hr in the am, and 3 hrs in pm before he goes to bed. sat hes w his dad and i have no clue if he helps. Sundays the only day i could work w him which doesn't even seen worth it. Some evenings he ll just hold it til the middle of the night. Ive tried stickers, Cheerios in the potty, toy rewards, acting crazily excited when he does go and nothing... He has a will of steel as its usually a 4wk battle for me to get him to do certain things w/o him pitching a fit (ex - almost every morning for 4wks he sat in time out until he calmed down because he didn't want to wear a jacket, no he was not in timeout because he wouldn't wear it, he was in timeout for the huge fit he threw. Sitting in timeout is sometimes the only way for me to get him to calm down so i can either explain to him or make him agree to listen. Then one day hes like ok and lets me put his jacket on when its needed. 4wks to get him to say please; 4wks w/o his beloved juice all because he wouldn't say please then one day he just says it). The idea has to b his or he won't do it.... What did you do to help spark potty interest in your kids?

~Jamie~

by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 10:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SlapItHigh
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 11:11 PM

His academic advancements are not a sign of readiness, nor is ability to hold it. I never tried to spark any of my children's interest. I just wait until they are ready and it happens on its own with no negative effects. Children trained before age 3 have extra health risks b/c they tend to hold it in favor of continuing to play. 

Jlcamp
by on Mar. 19, 2013 at 11:24 PM
I guess Im just nervous because daycare will kick him out a little after 3 if he isn't trained. : ( being a single mom with no family nearby... Makes me nervous.

~Jamie~

want10more
by Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 4:13 AM

i disagree. children that get trained before 3 are simply ready to be trained at that time. i have 6 kids, most were potty trained before 3... w/ NO ill effects.  HOWEVER, the reason he ain't ready is cuz you're getting no support. from the daycare or your ex. so it's no wonder! first i'd complain to the daycare, say, hey! you won't take him if he's not trained, yet you're not helping! and my (now) 6 yr old was a toughie to train. i found his currency: wii games. he had to pee for wii. if he peed his pants, he couldn't play until he'd gone pee/poop in the potty. amazing what hoops kids wil jump thru...

Quoting SlapItHigh:

His academic advancements are not a sign of readiness, nor is ability to hold it. I never tried to spark any of my children's interest. I just wait until they are ready and it happens on its own with no negative effects. Children trained before age 3 have extra health risks b/c they tend to hold it in favor of continuing to play. 

Jlcamp
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 5:58 AM
Ya, im having hard time finding his "can't go without" sometimes he ll actually choose to go to bed instead of saying sorry. I have talked to daycare, their response is automatically hes not ready. my thing with that is, he s never been given a true opportunity so there no way to tell. If hes not ready that's fine, but he needs a chance. Daycare tells me he has to tell them he needs to p. They only take him every 2hrs but there are too many kids for them to take him more : ( its frustrating to pay all that money yet not b heard : (

Wow 6 kids! Congratulations! i bet your days are neverending! Lol

~Jamie~

SlapItHigh
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 6:50 AM
Remember, I said it increases the risks which your post doesn't actually provide any evidence of. I am getting my information from an expert pediatric urologist who specializes in this - http://www.babble.com/toddler/toddler-health-safety/dangers-potty-training-early/

If you wait until they are truly ready, there are no hoops to jump through. I never had to do any of that with mine. Never once had to clean up pee with any of my 3 boys. I can't advocate for threatening my children to get them to be potty trained especially for arbitrary reasons that will only put their health at risk.

Quoting want10more:

i disagree. children that get trained before 3 are simply ready to be trained at that time. i have 6 kids, most were potty trained before 3... w/ NO ill effects.  HOWEVER, the reason he ain't ready is cuz you're getting no support. from the daycare or your ex. so it's no wonder! first i'd complain to the daycare, say, hey! you won't take him if he's not trained, yet you're not helping! and my (now) 6 yr old was a toughie to train. i found his currency: wii games. he had to pee for wii. if he peed his pants, he couldn't play until he'd gone pee/poop in the potty. amazing what hoops kids wil jump thru...

Quoting SlapItHigh:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SlapItHigh
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 6:51 AM
That's a terrible daycare. I'd recommend finding a new one.

Quoting Jlcamp:

I guess Im just nervous because daycare will kick him out a little after 3 if he isn't trained. : ( being a single mom with no family nearby... Makes me nervous.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
goddess99
by Michelle on Mar. 20, 2013 at 10:18 AM

My dd was 4 before she wanted to potty train. He's just not ready yet.

Jlcamp
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 1:34 PM
Unfortunately, you get what you pay for. I looked into a few others and financially I can't move him. They are good on most other things... I guess i just have to get through this and he decides to be ready... Soon lol. Thanks for your input!

~Jamie~

Jlcamp
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 1:35 PM
Quoting goddess99:

Was she in daycare?

~Jamie~

goddess99
by Michelle on Mar. 20, 2013 at 1:42 PM
1 mom liked this

Nope. I'm a sahm. But once my dd was ready it took a day.

Quoting Jlcamp:

Quoting goddess99:

Was she in daycare?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN