Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Do You Agree With "Unaccompanied Minor" Rules?

Posted by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 12:08 PM
  • 21 Replies
1 mom liked this

Disney Bans Parents From Using Parks as Free Babysitting

by Jeanne Sager

Disney WorldIf there's one thing I've learned since I became a parent, it's that you never know what is going to get a group of parents up in arms. The latest? Disney Parks have decided to put a new unaccompanied minor rule in place, essentially banning parents from dropping their kids off at the Happiest Place on Earth and booking it for the day. If your kid is 14 or younger, you're going to have to send someone 14 or older inside the gates to keep an eye on them.

The only question I have? What took them this long?

I know, I can hear how old I sound saying it. Has it really been that many decades since I was a young teenager, when I would have wanted nothing more than some free time in a theme park?

Indeed it has been.

I'm a parent now, and one who happens to have a fondness for all things Disney. If all goes well, I'm even hoping to take my daughter to the Florida park later this year. 

She's only 7 right now, but even if she were older, say 12 or 13, there's no way she'd be wandering the park without me.

Why? Simple. It's a big place. HUGE, even. And it's full of things kids can get into to cause some trouble. That's what kids of a certain age do, isn't it? Get into trouble? Not mean-spirited trouble, necessarily, but they're mischievous. They're immature. They don't think through to the consequences of their actions. And trouble just tends to follow them.

It's not just kids at Disney. Your average mall doesn't allow groups of teens to wander aimlessly without parents anymore. Our local pool has banned kids under 14 without a caregiver too.

The folks at Disney say the new admission rule is about safety, and, well, did I mention kids of a certain age don't always think things through? Their brains are still developing the ability to do that. That's why we don't put them behind the wheels of cars or let them vote either.

I want my kid to be safe. 

And more than that, I don't think it's fair to the employees of theme parks (or malls or swimming pools) to be treated like babysitters. They weren't hired to keep my kid safe; that's MY job.

So you can kvetch all you want that the mouse is being mean, mean, mean to young teens. I think it makes the happiest place a happier place for responsible parents.

What do you think of the rule change? Is 14 the right cut-off?

by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 12:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
goddess99
by Michelle on Mar. 20, 2013 at 1:45 PM

When my dd graduates high school and goes off to college then she can go to a park like that by herself.

Janet
by Ruby Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 2:15 PM
I totally agree with Disney!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MJP76
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 2:36 PM
1 mom liked this

No, I think parents shouldn't drop their kids off anywhere to just runs loose. Maybe 16 or 17 is a food cut off.

my DD is 15 almost 16 and since she has been 14, she has been allowed to go to places like the movies or the mall, but we are always right there in the vicinity. We won't just leave her there for hours at a time. She's my kid, she's my responsibility. If she does something effed up (which she wouldn't, but if she did) I'd be right there, not across town. Unsupervised teenagers are the worse!

Damn typos.. Sorry

shadow_lark
by Bronze Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 2:40 PM
1 mom liked this
What I find ridiculous in this is that they have to make that rule. It seems common sense to me not to leave your child on their own in a park full of thousands of people. I think 14 is a good cut off though. At that age most kids can be trusted to know how to behave.
DazeDelights
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 2:42 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree... I would be too scared to leave my kids in a place that huge alone. Too much shit can happen.
Paigesmommy78
by Bronze Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 2:42 PM
1 mom liked this
Wow I didn't know u could do that in first place let alone people did it who in their right would just droop a kid off at park that big I think the age should be 17
Schleetle
by on Mar. 20, 2013 at 2:44 PM
I never thought to leave my kids at Disney... I probably wouldn't even at 14.
splatz
by Sarah on Mar. 20, 2013 at 2:47 PM
I agree... not sure I would feel comfortable even at 14.

Quoting Schleetle:

I never thought to leave my kids at Disney... I probably wouldn't even at 14.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mom2Phoenix2011
by Member on Mar. 20, 2013 at 3:04 PM
I have to come to the defense of the teens. Having been one of those teens running around Disneyland and having been an employee of Disneyland. I had an annual pass and could be found at Disneyland most weekends and holidays. It is not because parents are not taking responsibility for their kids it was a way of allowing us freedom while in a controlled environment. While no not all teens are great and I could tell a lot of stories of what really goes on that would shock a lot of people I do not see the problem with allowing teens to go to Disneyland with out their parents right there. Do I think it needed to be put as a rule the age of children being aloud to enter without adults no. I do however think parents should use common sence when it comes to their children.
MistressMinerva
by Jennifer on Mar. 20, 2013 at 3:34 PM

I agree with Disney.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN