Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

homeschool or public ?

Posted by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 7:32 PM
  • 78 Replies

Which one do you do or want to do ? I'm part of a mom group and alot of  the mothers said homeschool, Me personally my children will be going to public I would love to send them to private school but we just dont have the money for that but sending them to public gets them out of the house, be around children and learn in a different enviroment etc:) what do you ladies do ?

by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 7:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
plclemo
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 7:46 PM
1 mom liked this

was in private, got sick, homeschooling now, going back to private in fall of 2013

Emmamomma130
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 7:59 PM

public, we can't afford private school!

SlapItHigh
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 8:13 PM

My kids are reluctantly in public now but we previously homeschooled. I'm looking at private parochial school or going back to homeschool.  Homeschool is my preferred choice but there isn't a big homeschool community here. 

la_bella_vita
by Silver Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 8:14 PM

I always said private but we decided to start with public school and my DD is thriving and now we have put private school on the back burner for now.

peachesforme
by Member on Mar. 21, 2013 at 8:23 PM

first they went to public, then we homeschooled 2 years, then a charter school opened near us and they have been going there for 2 years. Our public school had them around a bad group of kids, most teachers didn't care. Homeschool was good for the kids, not so good for me as I worked full time and they went to a sitter during the day where they did their written work. Then after working all day I came home to teach them new topics and check their work. Now in charter school, they are around a good group of kids with parents who care about them and teachers who care. Because if the teachers don't care, and students don't progress, the school loses its charter and gets closed down.  We are happy with our charter school.

goddess99
by Michelle on Mar. 21, 2013 at 9:17 PM

My dd goes to a public school.

MamaSnaps
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 9:31 PM

I've done both and they both have their advantages and disadvantages. 

I think homeschooling is perfect IF you have a good homeschool group to socialize with and you involve the kids in sports and activities on a regular basis. I have seen so many homeschooled kids come into the world in their teens and they have no friends locally and are socialy kind of awkward. It's very hard on them. 

MamaSnaps
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 9:42 PM

When we lived in GA our kids went to a charter. It was PHENOMENAL!!! I wish they could have stayed there. Unfortunately the military sent us elsewhere!

Quoting peachesforme:

first they went to public, then we homeschooled 2 years, then a charter school opened near us and they have been going there for 2 years. Our public school had them around a bad group of kids, most teachers didn't care. Homeschool was good for the kids, not so good for me as I worked full time and they went to a sitter during the day where they did their written work. Then after working all day I came home to teach them new topics and check their work. Now in charter school, they are around a good group of kids with parents who care about them and teachers who care. Because if the teachers don't care, and students don't progress, the school loses its charter and gets closed down.  We are happy with our charter school.

MamaMoopsie
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 9:46 PM

I public school. I am not knowledgeable enough or patient enough to homeschool. The benefits of public school outweigh the negatives for me.

WillsMOM72
by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 9:51 PM
My son is in a private Christian school, we love it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN