Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

homeschool or public ?

Posted by   + Show Post

Which one do you do or want to do ? I'm part of a mom group and alot of  the mothers said homeschool, Me personally my children will be going to public I would love to send them to private school but we just dont have the money for that but sending them to public gets them out of the house, be around children and learn in a different enviroment etc:) what do you ladies do ?

by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 7:32 PM
Replies (21-30):
Mrs.Bolin
by Gold Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 12:26 AM
1 mom liked this

My kids are and will go to public school. I dont like them having such a sheltered life.I think they need to be around other children thier own age and learn the same things together everyday. Thats good socialization and it teaches them how to live in this world when we arent around anymore. You cant get that at home. 

Ashley0523
by Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 12:31 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree with you 100% :)

Quoting Mrs.Bolin:

My kids are and will go to public school. I dont like them having such a sheltered life.I think they need to be around other children thier own age and learn the same things together everyday. Thats good socialization and it teaches them how to live in this world when we arent around anymore. You cant get that at home. 

want10more
by Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 4:55 AM

i am an advocate of public. extra cirricular activities,etc, plus socialization. i think it IS true that often home schooled kids CAN be accelerated, and i have a kid that so could be too. but really, i was told he could be in college by 15. FIFTEEN? no. academically sure he was ready but emotionally no.

zacmacsmomm
by Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:02 AM

I would try everything possible before homeschool.  My daughter had to do online school last year for a semester, was awful lol.  Son went to public, he had to, he's legally blind.  Daughter is now in a public schoool, she loves it.  Next year for H.S. she will be going to a Charter

VickyJoJo
by Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:31 AM
1 mom liked this

Public - we live in a really good school district.  To me, I would rather live in a good area with good public schools and save any money I would otherwise spend on private schools saving for college.  Plus I do not have the patience to homeschool.   But I know our path is right for everyone.  Choices must be made based on what works for the kids and the family.

Christie1952
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 11:05 AM

Homeschool! Public school exposes them to so many bad influences such as predatory teachers, gangs, bullies, and teachings that are set up to make children act the way that the system wants them to. There are other ways to interact with kids. 4-h, martial arts, acting groups are all reasonable interactive and learning environments. Many areas have homeschool groups that meet regularly. 

momtoBrenna
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 11:49 AM

I have one in a public charter who was previously homeschooled and one homeschooling for the foreseeable future. 

buzymom93
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 12:45 PM
1 mom liked this

we are unschoolers! and love it

Ashley0523
by Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 12:47 PM

yeah we do to we picked one of the best districts in our area plus his school is right in our neighborhood so makes it even better lol

Quoting VickyJoJo:

Public - we live in a really good school district.  To me, I would rather live in a good area with good public schools and save any money I would otherwise spend on private schools saving for college.  Plus I do not have the patience to homeschool.   But I know our path is right for everyone.  Choices must be made based on what works for the kids and the family.

Ashley0523
by Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 12:49 PM

WOW thats awesome you have a little genius on your hands :)

Quoting want10more:

i am an advocate of public. extra cirricular activities,etc, plus socialization. i think it IS true that often home schooled kids CAN be accelerated, and i have a kid that so could be too. but really, i was told he could be in college by 15. FIFTEEN? no. academically sure he was ready but emotionally no.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN