Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

homeschool or public ?

Posted by   + Show Post

Which one do you do or want to do ? I'm part of a mom group and alot of  the mothers said homeschool, Me personally my children will be going to public I would love to send them to private school but we just dont have the money for that but sending them to public gets them out of the house, be around children and learn in a different enviroment etc:) what do you ladies do ?

by on Mar. 21, 2013 at 7:32 PM
Replies (41-50):
wifeynmommie80
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 8:50 PM

DS goes to private. I have thought about doing home with a tutor, might be cheaper. we pay over 10 Gs a year for private. I think we could slash off about a quarter of that with a good tutor. 

MJP76
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 10:39 PM

Suburb public schools, and charter schools is what we are currently doing. However, if DD keeps getting poor grades, we are going to start homeschooling her next year.

Diane1223
by Member on Mar. 22, 2013 at 11:03 PM

I am doing public when our child is old enough, can't afford private school. 

ms-superwoman
by on Mar. 22, 2013 at 11:04 PM

Charter school

want10more
by Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 5:09 AM

oh ty for saying so. yeah i kinda do, (2 proven, 2 on the way, YIKES) but really a overly smart kid is stilllll special needs. it's not always easy in such a small school system!

Quoting Ashley0523:

WOW thats awesome you have a little genius on your hands :)

Quoting want10more:

i am an advocate of public. extra cirricular activities,etc, plus socialization. i think it IS true that often home schooled kids CAN be accelerated, and i have a kid that so could be too. but really, i was told he could be in college by 15. FIFTEEN? no. academically sure he was ready but emotionally no.

want10more
by Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 5:11 AM

i am not a fan of charter schools. so far my step kid is being taught chinese, but not multiplication tables. his sis, who we now have custody of, is flunking math, and can't read a clock.

want10more
by Member on Mar. 23, 2013 at 5:12 AM

ps: she can't use a phone book either.........

DixieFlower
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 9:40 AM
I guess it just depends on where you live and the homeschooling community there. My nephew has been homeschooled since he was 6 years old. He turns 16 this year. Everything you've stated that you can't get in homeschool he's gotten. He has had classes with other students his age, he takes standardized tests, he has taken school trips with his peers. He actually has more socialization opportunities than I did when I was attending public school.
Quoting Mrs.Bolin:

I understand that but its just my opinion considering the fact that i have two friends that have recently decided to put thier boys and girl in public school because they were'nt thriving at home.My brother-in-law was homeschooled up until he was a junior in highschool and decided to go to public. His mom wasnt happy with it. Its different for everyone but i am right that you cant get that at home. Homeschool is WAY different than public school. The after activities dont count towards that in my opinion. Nothing wrong with homeschooling at all. Everyone is and works different. But their are things that you can and cant get from public or homeschool and there is absolutly no argument there. ;)

Quoting DixieFlower:

You can get all of the things you mention through homeschooling as well. Homeschooling doesn't mean your children just sit at home and do school work. There are co op groups for learning with homeschooling, there are many extra curricular activities that homeschoolers participate in as well. Homeschooling is what the person doing the homeschooling is the one that makes the experience. Where I live homeschoolers participate in 4H, FFA, Boy Scouts, intramural sports. They also have proms, dances, and a formal graduation. Most people who homeschool are not doing it to shelter their children.

Quoting Mrs.Bolin:

My kids are and will go to public school. I dont like them having such a sheltered life.I think they need to be around other children thier own age and learn the same things together everyday. Thats good socialization and it teaches them how to live in this world when we arent around anymore. You cant get that at home. 

zacmacsmomm
by Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 12:46 PM

Like everything, it depends on the school.  My daughter went to charter from 3rd-6th grade, she thrived!  She was brought up to grade level for reading.  Charters are all different I think

Quoting want10more:

i am not a fan of charter schools. so far my step kid is being taught chinese, but not multiplication tables. his sis, who we now have custody of, is flunking math, and can't read a clock.

Kris_PBG
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 12:48 PM
Public school.

We have never considered anything else, as our public school is better than any other private or charter school in our area.

They are thriving there.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)