Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

My ten year old told me she thinks she might like girls...is it too young?

Posted by   + Show Post

I guess some kids have been calling everyone gay at school and my 10 year old has been really bothered by it. She knows what gay and lesbian is and she knows that we don't judge people who are, but at school these kids are being hateful when they say "gay." When we were talking about it I told her to just ignore the kids and not let it bother her. She said it really really upsets her and I asked why and she said because she thinks she might like girls that way.

I went with a gut response which was "You're ten, you have a lot of time to figure that out." She was quiet for a little bit and asked if I would still love her if she was gay and I assured her that I would always love her no matter what.

This isn't the first time she's said something like this, but I've always thought she was just so young that she couldn't possibly know that about herself. But is it? What do you think? Is 10 years old too young to know your sexuality?

by on Mar. 23, 2013 at 8:46 PM
Replies (11-20):
DragonMother10
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 2:19 PM
I don't think it's confusion. I know I started liking boys when I was in the 2nd grade, had my first little boyfriend then. I wasn't confused about liking boys, so why should it be confusing if a young child says they like someone of the same sex? I know she says she "thinks" but I wouldn't see it as confusing. Maybe she likes boys and girls too. She comes from a family where it's okay to love both boys and girls.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Janet
by Ruby Member on Mar. 24, 2013 at 4:31 PM
2 moms liked this

I think she is too young.

LivinDeadGurl
by Maranda on Mar. 24, 2013 at 6:38 PM

I definitely don't think it is too young.

natalieumphrey
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 6:38 PM

i agree 100% but we all have a way of dealing with our own family issues 

Quoting MamaMoopsie:

I guess some kids have been calling everyone gay at school and my 10 year old has been really bothered by it. She knows what gay and lesbian is and she knows that we don't judge people who are, but at school these kids are being hateful when they say "gay." When we were talking about it I told her to just ignore the kids and not let it bother her. She said it really really upsets her and I asked why and she said because she thinks she might like girls that way.

I went with a gut response which was "You're ten, you have a lot of time to figure that out." She was quiet for a little bit and asked if I would still love her if she was gay and I assured her that I would always love her no matter what.

This isn't the first time she's said something like this, but I've always thought she was just so young that she couldn't possibly know that about herself. But is it? What do you think? Is 10 years old too young to know your sexuality?

natalieumphrey
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 6:42 PM

i didnt mean to quote that. I think its awesome that you support your child. As parents we all have our way of dealing with different types of issues. My husband and I have 10 children so I am sure we will experience different things. Good luck with this issue .... just my opinion

veganistic
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 6:49 PM
No, i knew i liked boys by the time i was ten, lol! Long before, of course. Glad you are supportive of her, you wouldn't want her to suppress her true feelings and force herself to go experiment with boys IF and when she does know that she likes girls.
BeccaMathes85
by on Mar. 24, 2013 at 7:15 PM

Its not to young! Its very normal I can remember finding out i liked both at a very young age as well! You also have to remember that kids today are growing up faster then ever. Just be supportive of what ever choice she makes.

SlapItHigh
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 12:06 AM
I think she's too young. Most 10 year olds aren't sexual yet andost aren't interested in the opposite sex. She's probably just confusing her normal interest in girls and lack of interest in boys with being gay.
want10more
by Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 12:41 AM

boy i can sure i'm the old lady in this group! i still had my barbies at 10, and my pooh bear. and i thot boys were just gross. but yeah kids sure are different these days. i don't think her age really matters.  i mean, whether she's really old enough or not. only thing that matters here is she might be questioning herself, but is comfortable talking to you about it. ok i've never had gay or bi leanings but if i had, i think i'd be most scared to tell my parents. she wasn't. so.... she's already found her safe spot to land. if you were to ask gay or bi women, maybe they would say that was a hard step. and she already took it....

pinkcsmtlgy
by Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 7:38 AM

My 8 year old has already told me he likes gilrs.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)