Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Do you get to know your kids bus driver?

Posted by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 8:54 AM
  • 12 Replies
I was paranoid at first putting my kids on the bus because I'm trusting the driver with my kids lives. To drive safely, not get in an accident, to be nice to them etc. so I was wondering how many of us get to know the bus driver or at least introduce yourself?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 8:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
poshkat
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 8:56 AM
Yes. Every year. This year I know her very well. She has been driving dh's siblings for a few years and was very excited to have ds on her bus this year.
goddess99
by Michelle on Mar. 25, 2013 at 10:46 AM

If my dd took the bus I would at least introduce myself.

VickyJoJo
by Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 11:12 AM

When my daughter was in elementary school, I definitely made an effort on the first day to talk to the bus driver.  And we had some great ones.  I even gave her my cell in case there were any delays (like having to turn back to school once because someone threw up). 

Middle school is more challenging.  For one, the embarassment level of my daughter is through the roof if I even waited with her at the bus stop.  For another, we have a different morning and afternoon driver.  But my daughter is of the age to tell me if there is any issues with the driving or bullying.  And the bus driver is attentive enough and notices issues as well.

nurse1997
by Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 12:47 PM
2 moms liked this

Hi i was a busdriver for 8 years before i went back to school and a nice thank you card is always nice .Busdrivers sooo go out of the way for their kids on the bus and when you talk to most drivers they will always say my kids because after a couple of weeks you care for them all even the brats LOL moms take it for granted that your kids get home safely from getting on the bus to getting off the bus  myself and a handful of drivers i know have saved a few kids lives oither drivers dont pay attention and we DO there have been times when a wrong parnet has tried to take kids off the bus when they legally were not suppose to and we were able to step in and make sure the student stayed safe -Theres been lots of times in the winter kids have lost or left keys in school and we make sure your kids are warm till they have a safe place to go - There are lots of oither ways drivers help your kids but you guys get my pointe  and this goes for 90 percent of all drivers so a thank you is always a nice surprise instead of getting yelled at ;]

nurse1997
by Member on Mar. 25, 2013 at 1:01 PM

Sub drivers have it the worse you dont know where you are going and you wanna see kids act like animals get on a subs bus the kids are pulling all the crap they are not suppose to and the driver is trying to get them home safe so some times in the process the subdriver misses a few things - Just a heads up any time a bus goes back to the school the driver is dreading it cause it pushes them back for their oither school and are bosses dont really like it either but sometimes you just dont have a choice ;] Some  rts are problems and cant keep a driver on it because the kids are so bad  wrting them up honestly dont do much the schools dont punish the students and the school deterimes who gets kicked off the bus not us so are hands are tied  .

MistressMinerva
by Jennifer on Mar. 25, 2013 at 1:14 PM

My daughter never rode the bus.

Krystle21
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 4:35 PM
1 mom liked this

My dad is a bus driver so I know from his experience what it's like to be on the other end. Sometimes he gets good routes where the kids ate well behaved, appreciative etc and sometime he gets bad routes where the kids are disrespectful, rambunctious etc. It can be rewarding but also a stressful job. I know my dad loves his job but sometimes I worry about him. So I teach my kids to behave on the bus and show their bus driver respect. I do appreciate having my kids taken to school and dropped off home safely.

Quoting nurse1997:

Hi i was a busdriver for 8 years before i went back to school and a nice thank you card is always nice .Busdrivers sooo go out of the way for their kids on the bus and when you talk to most drivers they will always say my kids because after a couple of weeks you care for them all even the brats LOL moms take it for granted that your kids get home safely from getting on the bus to getting off the bus  myself and a handful of drivers i know have saved a few kids lives oither drivers dont pay attention and we DO there have been times when a wrong parnet has tried to take kids off the bus when they legally were not suppose to and we were able to step in and make sure the student stayed safe -Theres been lots of times in the winter kids have lost or left keys in school and we make sure your kids are warm till they have a safe place to go - There are lots of oither ways drivers help your kids but you guys get my pointe  and this goes for 90 percent of all drivers so a thank you is always a nice surprise instead of getting yelled at ;]

auntangelofsix
by Angel on Mar. 25, 2013 at 4:39 PM
If my son took or had to ride a bus i would.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MamaSnaps
by on Mar. 25, 2013 at 4:39 PM

The area we live in is such a very small, rural area that we actually know all of the bus drives personally anyway. 

LivinDeadGurl
by Maranda on Mar. 25, 2013 at 6:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Here, the bus driver actually comes to your house before the school year starts and introduces themself and gives the bus pick-up and drop-off time. Well, at least they do for my son, but that could be because he is special needs.

I always chat with his driver and his bus aide and know them on a first name basis.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN