Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

DD, 5,picky eater

Posted by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 7:00 AM
  • 9 Replies
DD is very picky about what she eats. I miss the old days when she'd eat more of a variety. Noe she's stuck on certain foods. She pretty much eats the same things every day. The only meat she will est is from lunchables and chicken nuggets. If i make chicken somehow hslf the time she'll eat it. She used to eat green beans but wont now. The only healthy food she eats i think is apples. If i try to get her to eat something different she just yells and refuses. Any advice?

busy mombutterflymoms rock  Anj

by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 7:00 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
USMCwife0530
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 7:15 AM
1 mom liked this
My 5 yr old son was like that when he was between 2-4 years old. Just recently he's been open to try different foods. We basically just tell him that it's important to eat healthy foods. If he doesn't eat what mommy makes, then he's not eating at all (as harsh as that may sound but it works.) Also, I'll tell him, "take (x number of big bites) and you're done." He'll gladly count his bites and I'll settle for that. This works too. If not, we take away his toys or iPad privileges. You just have to be stern and try not to give in and give them what they want.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
othermom
by Silver Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 9:48 AM

I offer small amounts of diffrent foods long with ons they do like and they have to eat a certain number of bites to get up. I start this at about  3 years old so they get use to it. For instance the other day I made spinach with cheese which me and my son love. My girls got about a teaspoon of spinach and some baby carrots that they love. After a while I work up to where the kids have to et all of their fruit or veggie with lunch and dinner to get up, they are not made to finish all the main course. If they don't eat all the food offered though they don't get anything else till the next meal.

When my son ws 3 all he wanted was hot dogs. After a while of it and fighting with him to eat anthing else,we stopped buying hot dogs and he had to eat other stuff. It took a while but it got better.

goddess99
by Michelle on Mar. 26, 2013 at 10:03 AM

It's hard but she will not let herself starve so I would continue to give her different things. I would serve her what you are having. I read that it can take several tries of a new food before you will like it. I know its true because my dd for the longest time hated mashed potatoes, I kept giving them and now she loves them and asks for them. Keep trying.

Janet
by Ruby Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 10:54 AM
They go through their phases.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Pammi86
by Pamela on Mar. 26, 2013 at 12:58 PM

My dd is two and LOVES fruits, veggies, chicken, fish! EVERYTHING! I hope that doesn't change! I would just give her time and maybe she will come back around!

anj2mom
by Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 1:51 PM
My ds is 2 and eats everything! I hope he never stops.
zacmacsmomm
by Member on Mar. 28, 2013 at 9:43 PM

Well I'm kind of old school about that stuff.  If my kids didn't want what I made for dinner, then they went to bed hungry.  Plain and simple.  I knew when they truly didn't like something or when it was just a power struggle, WHICH is very common at that age.  I never made an issue out of it, I just told them that this is what's for dinner and if they didn't want to eat it that was fine by me, but they weren't getting anything else.  Don't think my answer is a popular one, but it worked with mine.  Both were picky eaters.

anj2mom
by Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 6:26 AM
Ok then now i ask how do u make the transition to doing that. I kinda give in and i dont want to hear a bunch of screaming bc shes tired and doesn't want to go that route.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
zacmacsmomm
by Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 10:55 AM

Um, that I don't know.  I would just do it if she screams, she goes in her room.  Like I said, I'm pretty much old school, not very popular with the younger moms lol.  I always let my kids know that if they didn't eat dinner then they chose to go hungry that night.  I always tried to keep the ball in their court so-to-speak.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN