Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Wedding Blues

Posted by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 12:10 PM
  • 9 Replies
1 mom liked this

I have noticed a recurring theme with Weddings here on Cafemom.

For some reason everyone seems to find a reason to be mad whenever a wedding happens.

Brides: Yes it is your special, special day however accept

• You can not make everyone happy. In this instance your Fiance should be the most important consolidation. IMO
  • Accept that some of your choices will be disagreed with. Make them anyway. You (hopefully) only get one shot at this.
  • If you plan a destination wedding some people may not come no matter how badly you want them there. do not make them feel bad and do not ruin relationships over something that was, ultimately, your choice.
  • If you choose not to include children, some people may not come. see above. 
  • Your bridesmaids/groomsmen may back out if you choose a crazy expensive dress/tuxes. Yes it is your wedding and you can have what you want. When it comes to a person's budget, generally you can have them or the dress not both. 
  • If you act like a bridzilla you will be judged accordingly. It's okay to be emotional or even upset. It is not okay to be abusive and crazy.  

Guests/wedding party:

• If your child is not invited/selected to be in the wedding party it is not invited it is not an attack or your child, your parenting or your relationship to the bride
  • Nothing gives you the right to expect anything in some one else's wedding. NOT ONE THING.
  • There is nothing wrong with not attending a wedding if you can't afford to go, don't want to leave your kid behind or just don't feel like it. You should still respond.
  • You can and should be honest if you can't attend for some reason listed above. That does not mean you have to be rude or accusatory. 
  • Even if you are the maid of honor or the mother of the bride you do not have any "rights" beyond celebrating with the married couple. 
  • Most choices are made because that's what fits the bride and groom's (or bride and bride/groom and groom's) vision for their wedding day, their budget and makes them happy. Operate under that assumption
  • If you only go to weddings for the free booze you're attending for the wrong reasons (IMO)

Am I right?

by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 12:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
MistressMinerva
by Jennifer on Mar. 26, 2013 at 12:13 PM
1 mom liked this

Totally agree.

Maevelyn
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 12:15 PM

Thank you people make it so complicated. I ask one question: It it my wedding? No? then I don't care. 

Quoting MistressMinerva:

Totally agree.

Janet
by Ruby Member on Mar. 26, 2013 at 12:18 PM
I agree.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
goddess99
by Michelle on Mar. 26, 2013 at 12:32 PM

I agree.

Pammi86
by Pamela on Mar. 26, 2013 at 12:54 PM
1 mom liked this

I dislike weddings lol!

alisheamonet33
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 1:33 PM

i agree

sdbcoach
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 2:31 PM
1 mom liked this

Excellent advice on all levels. Someone should make a magnet for the fridge with these points on it. If we all just "didn't take it personally" we might all enjoy all the weddings - all types, just like people!

headingsouth13
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 2:39 PM

i totally agree. when dh and i were planning our wedding everyone and their brother were giving their "advice" and "opinions" and just plainly made it a damn nightmare. so we scraped the wedding and went to a justice of the peace

Maevelyn
by on Mar. 26, 2013 at 3:45 PM
1 mom liked this

You could probably change this to "having a baby" with minimal editing. 

Quoting sdbcoach:

Excellent advice on all levels. Someone should make a magnet for the fridge with these points on it. If we all just "didn't take it personally" we might all enjoy all the weddings - all types, just like people!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)