Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom to Mom Mom to Mom

Do You Ever Take Your Kids Out of School for Family Trips?

Posted by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 12:53 PM
  • 20 Replies

Taking Kids Out of School for a Spring Getaway -- Do or Don't?

by Ericka Sóuter 

lex and calebNow that my son's at the age where I don't break out in sweat at the thought of traveling with him, I love family getaways. Every trip is like a big adventure as far as he is concerned, especially if that means hopping aboard a train (which in his mind MUST be related to Thomas) or a plane (where he can soar through the sky like Superman). Most of the time, we like to keep these trips to spring breaks or summertime, but we have found more and more opportunities to travel when school is still in. So what's a responsible mom to do?

My husband and I are huge believers in the importance of education. In fact, we don't think the school year is long enough. That said, we also believe that you only live once. If we have the chance to take our amazing little guy on a trip that we all will enjoy, we are all for it. That's especially true as the weather begins to warm up. There is nothing like being able to enjoy another city or tourist attraction when the weather hits those perfect spring temps -- around 65 to 72 degrees. Breathing in that crisp air is so refreshing, so invigorating. It really is awesome.

Usually, the only time we take our kids out of school is when they are sick. Pink eye, strep throat, the flu. Ugh. That's no fun for anyone. Why not do it for an exciting reason too. Besides, it's so important to create special memories whenever we can. It's so easy to be consumed by the responsibilities and never-ending to-do lists of everyday life. I know most days, I am on auto-pilot. Get up, cook breakfast, pick out school clothes, make lunch, find something to wear to work, rush out the door just in time. It's nice to break up the monotonous routine every once in awhile. Everyone appreciates it -- kids and parents.

So I am all for playing hooky. It's great for the whole family. Just make sure they know what a special treat it is and that skipping school isn't something that they can do all the time. It promises to be among the best family memories you will have.

Do you ever take your kids out of school for family trips?

by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 12:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Janet
by Ruby Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 2:12 PM

I haven't but that's not to say I wouldn't.

DazeDelights
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 4:48 PM
Yes every year
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
goddess99
by Michelle on Mar. 29, 2013 at 4:57 PM
1 mom liked this

No. That's what spring break and summer vacation are for.

VickyJoJo
by Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 6:35 PM

I agree.  It also depends on what grade the children are in.  As they get into middle school, the curriculum moves faster.  I don't like the idea of adding additional stress of doing the regular work and making up missed works.  In our school system, teachers will not give out the work in advance so you can't take it with you and the worksheets are not posted online.

Quoting goddess99:

No. That's what spring break and summer vacation are for.

notjstanothrmom
by Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 6:36 PM

Yep! I just took my son out for a whole week and we went to Disney. He is in Kindergarten and really didn't miss much.

MySweetChild
by Member on Mar. 29, 2013 at 8:24 PM
Yes, I have taken DD out for 3 vacations so far, not an entire 5 days though, I believe 3 was the most & we made it a long weekend. But I will say, she is not in middle school yet, once she is, I believe it will be harder for her to miss & make up school work, so we will probably try & avoid it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MistressMinerva
by Jennifer on Mar. 29, 2013 at 9:18 PM

No

MommyofSCC
by on Mar. 29, 2013 at 9:58 PM

My dd is not old enough for school and she will be homeschooled, but if she were in public school I would in a heartbeat.  Great chance to get some hands on learning =)

emarin77
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 1:43 PM

Once my son is in kindergarten we will not go any trips during the school year unless it is vacation time. 

MichelleMc
by on Mar. 30, 2013 at 2:39 PM

No & I never would. I think it teaches them that school isn't important & we can just blow it off for what we want to do. Right now, being a student in their job so they need to learn to take it important so that later, they take work seriously too. We can plan better & do things on vacations from school. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN